C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Function on Dic Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 05:09 PM
Nijat1
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fuel Function on Dic Not Working

Hey guys, im not sure if one of you has run into this before, i decided to take a look at my hud to trouble shoot it and hoped to see if maybe something was disconnected ( since its not working ) but i couldnt find anything. So i reassembled it and played around with the hud functions to see if it would respond, and it didnt, which is ok until i get that fixed but then another problem occured that bothers me now, and that is the fuel function stopped working, i press the button but the dic doesnt react, while if i press options, reset,trip, or info buttons they all work, except the fuel info button. You guys have a clue?

Last edited by Nijat1; 04-22-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:58 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

It could be a few thing wrong with that particular button.

1) It could be the connector pin not making a good connection, but that is unlikely, since all the other buttons work.

2) When you push the button, it pushes against a rubber with a metal tab in the back that touches the circuit board and makes the connection to change your info.
The button could be worn or the metal part is not making contact with the circuit board.

3) The circuit board could have a cold solder joint, thus not completing the circuit when the button is pushed.

You can unscrew the DIC pod from the cluster surround, undo the connector, and remove the pod and separate it so it looks like this.

You can see if the rubber (metal tab) is in place, and also check the circuit board for integrity.

If all looks ok, then check the connector wires to make sure they are all sitting in the connector properly and that the pins are all OK.

The fuel function button is controlled by the Purple wire as per the circuit diagram.

Hope this helps a little
Good Luck, and report back when and if you find a solution.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4SUMERZ:
Gering (06-03-2016), Mikey_T (04-23-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 06:03 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is a PDF of how to remove the guage surround console, and the pods.
Attached Images
Old 04-22-2016, 06:11 PM
Nijat1
Instructor

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR

Thank you LV2TOUR, i appreciate the time you put into explaining how to fix the issue, tomorrow should be nice to handle the issue, i shall give an update tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:11 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

The willingness of members to help other members here never ceases to amaze me.
The following 2 users liked this post by RocketDawg:
Gering (06-03-2016), owc6 (05-02-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 07:56 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
The willingness of members to help other members here never ceases to amaze me.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:10 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Thank you!

Thanks,Matt
Old 04-29-2016, 04:01 PM
Nijat1
Instructor

https://youtu.be/sadhsDovPMI

Here is a link, I took the buttons out and tried to see if it will work if I clean it or try another button and nothing.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:32 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nijat1
https://youtu.be/sadhsDovPMI

Here is a link, I took the buttons out and tried to see if it will work if I clean it or try another button and nothing.
Does any of the functions work? Your first post seemed to indicate that all worked but the Fuel button.

Did you check the circuit board for a bad solder joint at that location.
Also check the wiring at the connector, ans the pins that go into the connector to make sure they are good.
Here is the connector for the DIC and the wire color designation.
The signal for the fuel comes from the ECM through the purple wire (pin C)
Maybe this will help you.

I have the trouble shooting PDF for the Instrument panel /DIC/HUD, etc. if you want to see it.
It's 189 pages, and you probably need a TECH II to do most of the troubleshooting. I can send it by e-mail if you PM me your e-mal address.

Good luck
Old 04-29-2016, 07:49 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Hey guys, im not sure if one of you has run into this before, i decided to take a look at my hud to trouble shoot it and hoped to see if maybe something was disconnected ( since its not working ) but i couldnt find anything. So i reassembled it and played around with the hud functions to see if it would respond, and it didnt, which is ok until i get that fixed but then another problem occured that bothers me now, and that is the fuel function stopped working, i press the button but the dic doesnt react, while if i press options, reset,trip, or info buttons they all work, except the fuel info button. You guys have a clue?
What do you mean by 'Fuel Info'?...Thanks
Old 04-29-2016, 08:33 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
What do you mean by 'Fuel Info'?...Thanks
I'm pretty sure he means the top button on the DIC POD

The following users liked this post:
Cherokee Nation (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 09:37 PM
rh96ss
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

I just had my dimmer switch replaced under warranty. The right side controls would not work. I took the dash apart and when the dimmer switch was unplugged, the controls would work. Worth a shot.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:39 PM
Nijat1
Instructor

Yes LV2TOUR the function that lets you know mpg and fuel distance to empty is not working in the video i showed earlier i tried to show that all functions work except the fuel info even after being took apart. Only thing is after i did that video later when i drove that night i noticed the back light for the buttons option and reset stopped working. Starting to thing maybe i indeed have a bad soldering point somewhere.... still stuck with the fuel function not working, im starting to think about buying a new unit to replace this one, i blew on the connectors and still nothing, i doubt it could be the wire but i have no way to check that, and i really hope its not...
Old 05-01-2016, 09:43 PM
Nijat1
Instructor

Originally Posted by rh96ss
I just had my dimmer switch replaced under warranty. The right side controls would not work. I took the dash apart and when the dimmer switch was unplugged, the controls would work. Worth a shot.
When taking the trim out with the dic buttons you do need to disconnect the buttons, but everything is connected in my case and working except the fuel function, button is being pressed but the dic isnt responding. The time that this stopped working is the first time after i took everything out including the instrument cluster. Everything seems to work the dials work just fine.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:44 PM
Nijat1
Instructor

LV2TOUR is the purple wire that is connected to the button for the fuel function, does it go into the instrument cluster? because that is also another part i removed
Old 05-02-2016, 12:51 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

LV2TOUR is the purple wire that is connected to the button for the fuel function, does it go into the instrument cluster? because that is also another part i removed
According to the wiring diagrams, the signal for the Fuel Signal comes from Data Class 2-from the Engine Control Module through the Instrument Panel Cluster.
The things to check would be the connector at the gage cluster, just to be sure that the pins are all good, and making a good connection.
The other place to check is the connector at the ECM itself, but that is a long shot at best.

Since you had the instrument cluster removed, the connector would be the first place to look. Assure all the pins are in good condition, not bent, and that the connector is on snug.

Here is a service manual schematic showing the above.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:09 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Here are the schematics of the Instrument Cluster connectors.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Function on Dic Not Working

Old 06-03-2016, 05:51 PM
Nijat1
Instructor

Here are the schematics of the Instrument Cluster connectors.

LV2TOUR Thank you for the help!!, i Decided to take out the gauage cluster and sure enough the purple wire responsible for the fuel function was disconnected. I connected it and IT WORKED!!!
Old 06-03-2016, 05:55 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

LV2TOUR Thank you for the help!!, i Decided to take out the gauage cluster and sure enough the purple wire responsible for the fuel function was disconnected. I connected it and IT WORKED!!!
Glad that you were able to find the source of the problem and fixed it.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:46 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Yes LV2TOUR the function that lets you know mpg and fuel distance to empty is not working in the video i showed earlier i tried to show that all functions work except the fuel info even after being took apart. Only thing is after i did that video later when i drove that night i noticed the back light for the buttons option and reset stopped working. Starting to thing maybe i indeed have a bad soldering point somewhere.... still stuck with the fuel function not working, im starting to think about buying a new unit to replace this one, i blew on the connectors and still nothing, i doubt it could be the wire but i have no way to check that, and i really hope its not...
Did you get the lights in the pod to work? I had a couple lights quit working on the same pod in my car a while back. It turned out to be burned out bulbs. The bulbs are soldered in place, however from what I was told, you can find the bulbs at Radio Shack, or another electronics store. If you are handy with a soldering iron, they can be replaced. I didn't want to mess with mine so I ended up replacing the pod with one I bought on eBay.

Quick Reply: Fuel Function on Dic Not Working