C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake squeal

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 10:41 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Brake squeal

What type ceramic brakes are you guys using on the GS . I have 17k miles on mine and they are driving me crazy. I think it's just the front.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:59 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have an 08 that I basically bought new in 08. They squealed for a number of years but after a certain point they haven't ever again. I have 34K on the clock now. Perhaps they stop at a certain point on use and miles. Will be interesting to see what others say.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:29 AM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

This is a problem with the C6 GS,I know a lot of people have changed out the brakes but I want to find out what they are happy with,don't want to swap for the same problem.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:58 AM
91RS
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You have a high performance car with high performance brakes, its normal.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:31 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I have an 07 with no squeal, original brakes/rotors with 75k miles. Don't recall ever having any significant squeal and I am the original owner.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:03 AM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

08 base w/Z51 here. I'm running Akebono ProACT ceramics and they don't even make the slightest sound.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:32 AM
hrt vlv
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Once your hearing deteriorates you will be fine.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:13 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by hrt vlv
Once your hearing deteriorates you will be fine.
or turn the music up!
The following users liked this post:
hrt vlv (08-01-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 11:39 AM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

I like the GM Ceramics. The original pads that came on my 07 With the Z51 option we so agresssive they ripped the rotors to shreds in about 45000 miles, Since replacing all four corners with new GM rotors and ceramic pads from GM wharehouse, the rotors have almost 100,000 miles with no wear issues and no squeal at all from the pads!!
Old 07-30-2016, 12:07 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Squeal is never normal. It indicates poorly bedded pads, substandard pads or rotors, dry calipers and moving parts, incorrect installation or few other things like glazed surfaces. Most important is the pads, that not making good contact binding and resonating on the disks is what causes squeal in general. I suggest first taking out the pads, cleaning them, roughing up surfaces and cleaning them with break clean, and the rotors re installing them with syl glide high temp brake silicon on the backs of the pads where they touch the pistons or any metal except rotor surfaces if course. Also use it on the sliders. If that does not stop it you are due for some new pads, rotor surfacing or replacement depending on the age/ damage on the rotors.
The following users liked this post:
DRKCYDE (09-26-2019)
Old 07-31-2016, 08:46 AM
91RS
Racer

Originally Posted by gsflyer2011
Squeal is never normal. It indicates poorly bedded pads, substandard pads or rotors, dry calipers and moving parts, incorrect installation or few other things like glazed surfaces. Most important is the pads, that not making good contact binding and resonating on the disks is what causes squeal in general. I suggest first taking out the pads, cleaning them, roughing up surfaces and cleaning them with break clean, and the rotors re installing them with syl glide high temp brake silicon on the backs of the pads where they touch the pistons or any metal except rotor surfaces if course. Also use it on the sliders. If that does not stop it you are due for some new pads, rotor surfacing or replacement depending on the age/ damage on the rotors.
The factory brake pads are semi-metallic, noise is absolutely normal. They are aggressive pads. The more aggressive you go, the more noise you get. That's just the way it is.

If you want quiet, ceramic pads will be your best bet but you will be giving up some performance. They are aren't going to have the grab the stock semi-metallic pads do. I put Akebono ceramic brake pads on my Cadillac with Brembo brakes because I wanted no dust because it's a daily driver but the hotter they get the less they grab. It isn't a huge deal for street driving but it would be if I ever took the car to a road course.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:08 AM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Originally Posted by 91RS
The factory brake pads are semi-metallic, noise is absolutely normal. They are aggressive pads. The more aggressive you go, the more noise you get. That's just the way it is.

If you want quiet, ceramic pads will be your best bet but you will be giving up some performance. They are aren't going to have the grab the stock semi-metallic pads do. I put Akebono ceramic brake pads on my Cadillac with Brembo brakes because I wanted no dust because it's a daily driver but the hotter they get the less they grab. It isn't a huge deal for street driving but it would be if I ever took the car to a road course.
I will agree to disagree. I had my GS for a whole year before i decided to change to bobcat 1521 s strictly because of the brake dust. And during this time i never had a brake squeal with the OEM pads once and i can guarantee that many people here don't either. However if you want to have your cake and eat it too, one can go with bobcat 1521 s, expensive but it will out perform OEM in every way, cold or hot, great modulation, longer brake life with negligible dust. I used akebonos on my dd,s not impressed with them, they were for sedans and not for sport cars. Last but not least, yes you are right, the OEM pads are very aggressive, i could not believe how chewed my rotors were only at 2000 miles. Bobcats have cleaned that up tremendously. I easily suspect these pads will double the life if my rotors on same pads, and did i say nary a squeal?
Old 07-31-2016, 09:31 AM
91RS
Racer

I'm not saying that every one will squeal. I'm saying there is a high probability of noise because the brakes are aggressive and it is normal if it does make noise. As long as the pads aren't worn out and the squealers are making the noise, of course. My Grand Sport was perfectly quiet until about 20k miles and then it started making noise like a light switch was flipped but the pads still have about 50% left and the rotors aren't chewed up too bad yet so there's no real reason to change them. If you want to change them for noise only, it certainly isn't going to hurt anything.

Last edited by 91RS; 07-31-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:39 AM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

My 11 GS never made a sound with the OE pads - I was just tired of the dust.
I swear I could back it down the drive and the wheels needed cleaned
I moved to Carbotech 1521 this spring and I am very happy with the choice.
I can't answer on long term performance but based upon the reviews these pads should last longer than the OE pads by a large margin.
They utilize a non corrosive compound so your wheels and rotors will both be happier long term as well.
I no longer have black specks down the side of my car. I always thought is was road grime but it was in fact brake pad dust from the OE pads
Old 07-31-2016, 09:40 AM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

That i agree with you. They dry out after a while and lubrication also washes out with rain and washings plus gunk accumulates there hindering free movement. In my book that would call for a dissemble, through cleaning and lubrication with syl glide. For me brake squeal would be like nails on a chalk board, totally unacceptable (and just as irritating)
Old 07-31-2016, 09:50 AM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1968swbbigblock
My 11 GS never made a sound with the OE pads - I was just tired of the dust.
I swear I could back it down the drive and the wheels needed cleaned
I moved to Carbotech 1521 this spring and I am very happy with the choice.
I can't answer on long term performance but based upon the reviews these pads should last longer than the OE pads by a large margin.
They utilize a non corrosive compound so your wheels and rotors will both be happier long term as well.
I no longer have black specks down the side of my car. I always thought is was road grime but it was in fact brake pad dust from the OE pads
Don't you love that nice solid brake pedal now? Now that i had them for 4 years i guarantee you will love them. Just solid. Although they are 2-3 times more expensive of most run if the mill pads, they show hardly any wear after 4 years and believe me i drive this car hard. That cost difference is made up in not having to do brake jobs as often, my estimate so far that my rotors and pads will last 3 times longer than if i had the OEM,s. Last thing, with usage the dust will even go down more, it is more at the beginning. Now i use a duster on the wheels and insides once every 2 weeks, they look like they have been just washed. I love them. Best investment i have ever made on this car.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:10 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

If you want a quality aftermarket pad I recommend the Carbotech 1521 pad. A low dust pad that is rotor friendly and performs like OEM if not better under thresh hold braking and last longer. 100% non-corrosive dust will not harm your paint or wheels. This pad also contains NRS technology. Carbotech uses NRS technology on all C4, C5, C6 & C7 front and rear brake pads.

Here is a link to explain further what NRS technology is exactly: http://www.nrsbrakes.com

If interested let me know I will be happy to help you.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28

Get notified of new replies

To Brake squeal

Old 07-31-2016, 12:41 PM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by bucwheat
What type ceramic brakes are you guys using on the GS . I have 17k miles on mine and they are driving me crazy. I think it's just the front.
It's not your brakes that are squealing. It's your wheels crying they are suffocating from brake dust.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:57 AM
91RS
Racer

Originally Posted by gsflyer2011
That i agree with you. They dry out after a while and lubrication also washes out with rain and washings plus gunk accumulates there hindering free movement. In my book that would call for a dissemble, through cleaning and lubrication with syl glide. For me brake squeal would be like nails on a chalk board, totally unacceptable (and just as irritating)
The noise is coming from the pad material, not from movement of the pad. The pads are held in place pretty well. The only place that has lubrication on these brakes is the pins. They have a roller where the pad contacts and there is anti-seize between it and the actual pin. Lubricating the outside just makes dirt stick to that easier. That's why the new GM brake pads come with new pins.

The Carbotech pads do look great but the thing that would hold me back from putting them on my Corvette is that it says not recommended for track use. I really wouldn't want to have to buy another set of pads and rotors front and rear if I get the opportunity to go to the track with the car. They do sound like they'd be perfect for my V since it will likely never see track time but we'll have to wait until the Akebonos wear down.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:07 AM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Again i disagree with you. The noise is not coming from the pad material but the movement of the pad as it binds and resonates at certain frequency. The fact is that if it was coming from the pad material all brakes would squeal even new from the factory and they don't. Pads make many contacts, including in the back at the pistons. Having lubrication in those areas dampen the resonance. Most good shops including volvo and bmw lubricate the back if the pads also when they are installing new pads and most pad manufacturers not only recommend that but some even include the syl glide and tell you how to use it. You have your own theory and because of that you also have brake squeal and consider it normal. I on the other hand stick with what is known in the industry as common knowledge and never have brake Squeal.

Quick Reply: Brake squeal