C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake squeal

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 12:09 PM
91RS
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Disagree all you want. The noise is from the pad material because they are semi-metallic and have a high metal content. Metal on metal makes noise and also wears the rotors out faster. Even GM says some noise is normal for the High performance brakes and they designed the car and its components. Pads that include lubricant are for slide pins, not to wipe all over the pad and caliper. The metal anti-rattle clips/springs keep the pad from moving around, it doesn't need lubricant everywhere. If PBR or GM wanted lubricant everywhere, it would say in the service information replacement procedure and it doesn't. You don't have noise because you have aftermarket ceramic brake pads designed for low noise and dust not because you know better than the engineers and put lubricant everywhere.

Last edited by 91RS; 08-01-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:02 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Hey bud no offense taken. I had no noise with my OEM pads on my GS either. You are the one with noisy brakes not me. Do what you like is best.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:54 AM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts

If you want to get rid of squeal. Change brake pads. I'm running Duralast Gold Ceramics (Autozone) the noise went away, little to no dust and I still have drilled rotors. I've been hearing that carbontech and Akebono doesn't have any noise also. It seems Hawks are a hit or miss and I ran powerstop Z26 Extremes and they made noise also. I have not heard a bad review with the Duralast golds making noise, they may not be high performance but at least I can look handsome pulling up the red light instead of people looking like that car is a piece of crap or put some brakes on it. That don't understand high performance brake pads.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:59 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

I put in new hawk HP+ pads in the rear, bedded them in like hawk's instruction said. But at 2,3,4 mph they constant squeak (not under braking). But I have only driven about 25 miles so far. Is it normal? need to drive more and the squeak will go away?
Old 09-21-2019, 10:46 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

Do an a occasional high speed
hard stop. Will deglaze the pads and stop your squeak.

Quick Reply: Brake squeal