C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm at a loss

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 10:08 PM
09C6inWA
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default I'm at a loss

It started out with what I thought was just a dead battery. I had an inking it was going to go because it was kind of start slowly. Last Wednesday I went to start it and got the tap, tap, tap which I assumed meant the battery didn't have enough juice to start it. The lights and things still worked so it wasn't totally dead.

I got a jump pack from work to jump it. I connected the cables directly to the battery and got the tapping thing again. Then I noticed the jumping diagram on the fuse box and tried that. That didn't work either.

Then I started to get the NO FOBS DETECTED message on the DIC. I consulted the NO FOBS DETECTED thread here and tried some of the suggestions to no avail.

I didn't screw up my car by not jumping it the wrong way did I? My car is stuck in the garage and given the fact I can't even get into gear so I'm not sure what my next step will be.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:17 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

I know one of the times a battery went bad in my '06 it wouldn't start even with a fully charged jump box. Got the clicking sounds, as well as the FOB not detected messages. Took the battery down to AutoZone and it checked out bad; put a new one in and it started right up. I have learned, as have many others, that our C6's are very finicky when it comes to batteries. Hope all it is your battery ... good luck resolving the issue

Last edited by Welker1; 09-13-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:18 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Time for a new battery.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:33 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

If you replace the battery, remember that you will need to reset the indexing for both windows.

With the engine running and the window down, close the car door. Raise the window and hold the up switch an extra 3 seconds. Release. Without lowering the window, hold the up switch again for 3 seconds. Release. Done. Don't forget the other window.

This will need to be done to both windows every time the car battery is disconnected, then reconnected.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:34 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Could mean that you need a new battery for the car AND a new battery for the FOB. Sometimes, I have to move my FOB around in my pocket if the battery starts getting weak in order for the car to recognize it. I would take the car battery and have it checked before I do anything else. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:39 PM
09C6inWA
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced the fob batteries and had a new battery waiting at my mechanic's shop.

I guess I'll have to ge get it and install it myself.

Thanks to all for your responses.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:51 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Very possible that fully charged jump pack does not have enough juice in it to start a C6. Many of them do not.
Probably just need a new battery.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:08 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Nope. You simply need a new battery.

If you dont drive a sports car at least a couple hours a week, they will kill your battery. Just the nature of the beast.

If you don't drive regularly, start disconnecting while it's parked.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:57 AM
DealmakerC6
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Had a No start today

my 07 base is a daily driver with a 5 month old battery and a new starter. Drove to the office this morning and when I was leaving for an appointment: click click click. In the middle of my cursing fit, i checked the (also brand new) terminals, and found them a bit loose. Tightened the wire side of the terminals and it fired right up. Sounds like you checked that already, but hopefully.... Will be replacing the cheap looking terminals with something sturdier, and might do the "big 3" upgrade a little earlier than I'd planned I'm tired of chasing electrical gremlins in this car.

Last edited by DealmakerC6; 09-14-2016 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-14-2016, 04:49 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
Time for a new battery.

Also,get a battery tender and use it often.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:00 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath
Nope. You simply need a new battery.

If you dont drive a sports car at least a couple hours a week, they will kill your battery. Just the nature of the beast.

If you don't drive regularly, start disconnecting while it's parked.
You can use a battery tender to prolong the battery life
The following users liked this post:
Landru (09-27-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 06:03 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
Time for a new battery.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:12 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Check the connection at the starter they have a tendency to break, cheap plastic/composite whatever it is. This was my battery issue.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:39 PM
Lonestar13
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 09C6inWA
It started out with what I thought was just a dead battery. I had an inking it was going to go because it was kind of start slowly. Last Wednesday I went to start it and got the tap, tap, tap which I assumed meant the battery didn't have enough juice to start it. The lights and things still worked so it wasn't totally dead.

I got a jump pack from work to jump it. I connected the cables directly to the battery and got the tapping thing again. Then I noticed the jumping diagram on the fuse box and tried that. That didn't work either.

Then I started to get the NO FOBS DETECTED message on the DIC. I consulted the NO FOBS DETECTED thread here and tried some of the suggestions to no avail.

I didn't screw up my car by not jumping it the wrong way did I? My car is stuck in the garage and given the fact I can't even get into gear so I'm not sure what my next step will be.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Same symptoms, same attempt to start with a jump pack, same results. installed a new battery, compliments of the dealer and all is well, just had to reindex the windows.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:11 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by enventr
You can use a battery tender to prolong the battery life
Absolutely, but once the damage is done, a new battery is the only fix.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (09-27-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To I'm at a loss

Quick Reply: I'm at a loss