C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choice between these Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 01:04 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts
Default Choice between these Tires

I have read reviews from many tire sources and they are all over the place, I love'em, I hate'em, they are noisy, quietest tire ever, you get the picture.
So I ask owners of each to chime in, if your tired of tire threads don't participate but I appreciate the help.
So it comes down to purpose & price for my situation and the 2 are choices are ****
1. Continental Extreme Contact DW
2. Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2
Thank you for your opinions
NSF
Old 09-21-2016, 01:11 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Continentals. They're comparable in quality to Michelin PSS, whereas the Hankooks are not.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:12 PM
Vettemuscle1
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

i have the dw's on my 19/20 setup and they are soft (sidewall?) they seem to wiggle around when im railing the back roads i wont run them again. the traction is great I've seen 1.0 corners and felt comfortable but there's this "body roll" feel when i turn in and i can only attribute it to my tires because that wasn't there before i changed them.

They seem quiet to me but my exhaust is pretty rowdy so i dont pay much attention to tires.

i shouldnt say i wont run them again... i will try something else and come back if need be.

Last edited by Vettemuscle1; 09-21-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:47 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,088 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed

Continentals ... They're comparable in quality to Michelin PSS, whereas the Hankooks are not.
You see, we all have a different opinion ... I think the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2 is an equal tire to the Michelin PSS (and the Hankooks are cheaper)

Tread wear rating is about the same on both tires.

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 09-21-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:51 PM
biker1059
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the Hankook, they stick like **** to a blanket, really like them. I also know that Continental makes very good tires. Your choice
Old 09-21-2016, 02:08 PM
DOOKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
NSF
What's the street price cost differences on both options?
Old 09-21-2016, 02:15 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,350 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DOOKEY
What's the street price cost differences on both options?
Old 09-21-2016, 02:33 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

I have read reviews from many tire sources and they are all over the place, I love'em, I hate'em, they are noisy, quietest tire ever, you get the picture.
So I ask owners of each to chime in, if your tired of tire threads don't participate but I appreciate the help.
So it comes down to purpose & price for my situation and the 2 are choices are ****
Thank you for your opinions
NSF
Yes it would be interesting to do a "BLIND" tire test where people got in and drove their car with several different make of tires on it and then quiz them on if they could tell the difference and pick what tire was what.....
Old 09-21-2016, 04:21 PM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

I like the hankook better, but Conti tires are pretty good. If it was my money Id go with Hankook. Stock sizes?
Old 09-21-2016, 04:32 PM
KABAL182
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettemuscle1
i have the dw's on my 19/20 setup and they are soft (sidewall?) they seem to wiggle around when im railing the back roads i wont run them again. the traction is great I've seen 1.0 corners and felt comfortable but there's this "body roll" feel when i turn in and i can only attribute it to my tires because that wasn't there before i changed them.

They seem quiet to me but my exhaust is pretty rowdy so i dont pay much attention to tires.

i shouldnt say i wont run them again... i will try something else and come back if need be.
I agree , I have run the DW on my Mercedes. I agree with the "floating feeling" with this tire. another concern is as they wear, its a very noticeable difference in their performance. I myself went with Brigestones on my GS, they are ok. I wish I would have just paid for Michelins as its been the best performer on all my pass Vette's.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:50 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys
Price difference with the Hankook rebate till the end of the month is about $250+ so sizeable IMO.
For me it is about
1. road noise
2. handling or steering to more precise (My Nittos seem to tramline)
3. price
4. wear
I don't track or drive hard either, and no rain, or snow, in fact they will probably show rot before they wear out
I liked the Toyo Proxes also but a little too much $$ so its between the 2 mentioned. Both get very decent reviews as a rule.
Thanks again
NSF
Old 09-21-2016, 05:55 PM
DOOKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

Thanks guys
Price difference with the Hankook rebate till the end of the month is about $250+ so sizeable IMO.
For me it is about
1. road noise
2. handling or steering to more precise (My Nittos seem to tramline)
3. price
4. wear
I don't track or drive hard either, and no rain, or snow, in fact they will probably show rot before they wear out
I liked the Toyo Proxes also but a little too much $$ so its between the 2 mentioned. Both get very decent reviews as a rule.
Thanks again
NSF
I've had the Conti's for about the same amount of time I had the stock GY's. Road noise is a little less now. Steering isn't much different but I went 19/20. I don't notice the wiggle in the sidewall but I don't push them either.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:06 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 283 Posts

I have the Continental Extreme Contact DW with about 15,000 miles on them.

They ride beautifully, and are extremely quiet. They handle excellent, but are not as quick to respond as the OEM Goodyears. You can push them very hard without any signs of sliding or squealing.

Another bonus is that they are excellent in cold weather, all the way down into the 20's. If you don't get much snow in your area, you could easily drive them throughout the winter.

The only negative, if you can call it that, is that the steering wheel feels a bit heavier with these tires. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with them.

I recommended them to a friend who has a Mini Cooper S - and he loves them.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:09 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 283 Posts

For what it's worth, I've tried Hankooks twice on 2 other cars. The tires were great when they were new, but became increasingly noisy as they wore. I'll never buy them again.
The following users liked this post:
Not So Fast (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 09:46 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Looks like its a draw or tossup
NSF
Old 09-21-2016, 09:52 PM
dadsbadhabit
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I went through this same dilemma about a year ago and ended up getting the Hankooks. Everything I read at the time sounded like the Contis allowed more body roll.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:03 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

I went with Conti's
I had OEM run flats.
The Conti's are very quiet. They handle well. No steering difference for me. That might depend on tire pressure and alignment.o
I actually called and talked with an engineer. It took awhile as it was hard to get past the riffraff. After talking to him I was sold on the tires.
Oh yea...... IMHO
Robin

Get notified of new replies

To Choice between these Tires

Old 09-21-2016, 10:40 PM
Judge387
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the V12 evo 2

Over all a pretty good tire. Minimal road noise, comfortable ride, steering response is very nice, feels very stable in corners.
The only place I think they fall a little short is forward bite. Especially when it's a cooler day. The rear tires brake loose considerably easier than I would like.

Earlier this summer I did get caught in the rain. Again same complaint.... wanting more forward bite....In the rain Anything more than a gradual accel the tires would spin. Everything else though, I have no complaints. Still felt very planted going around on and off ramps. Doing 80 to 90 on the highway with no issues, car felt very stable.
( i was driving home in a "normal" rain not a crazy storm but just a consistent rain)

For everything you listed that you are looking for in a tire I think it's a good fit. For the price it's hard to beat.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:43 PM
MarkB3
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I've had the Hankook V12 Evo 2's on my '05 coupe since early May. I have about 5000 miles on them including week long trip to PA and MD.
The tires are noticeably quieter and way smoother than the GY OEM tires I replaced. They handle very nicely, even in heavy rain at interstate speeds. I frequently drive hard on country roads and interstates and I have been impressed how well the tires grip. Total price including balancing and 4 wheel alignment was $915 after the $100 rebate. I bought from a regional tire outfit called town fair tire.

They're good tires; I'd buy them again.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:34 AM
CanonGeek
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought an 09 with new Continental DWS's on it. Drove it from PA to TN, and just around town since then. Love the tires, but haven't had them in the rain or cold weather. They're quiet, seem to handle well, get great gas mileage. They're not run-flats, which makes me a bit uneasy, but I really like the way they perform. They probably have around 3k miles on them, and they look new.

Quick Reply: Choice between these Tires