C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slave cylinder needs replaced

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 09:04 AM
_Wayne_
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Slave cylinder needs replaced

Hey guys, I am looking at having to replace the slave and master cylinder. I was quoted 2700 by the dealership but after saying I'd bring in parts and complaining about labor they cut it to 2000 I still think that's too high. I've called around to several shops and am waiting on a response.What have you guys payed? I'm also considering DIY. is that feasible?
Here's what I plan on installing (I do have 580WHP)
-Tick master cylinder
-GM Slave Cylinder
-billet release bearing support (Monster)
-tick shims

Is there anything else i should do while I'm in there?

The clutch is an ACT twin disc and it has an ACT flywheel that the PO had installed. Has roughly 5000 ish miles. So I'm hoping not to touch those.

2008 Z06 42,000
Old 09-23-2016, 09:17 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 707 Posts

GM has extended the warranty on slave/master cylinder up to ten years /100k miles. It should cost you nothing to replace....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...seen-this.html

I just noticed you don't have a stock clutch, that may give them a reason to deny this special extended warranty.

Last edited by R&L's C6; 09-23-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:41 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
GM has extended the warranty on slave/master cylinder up to ten years /100k miles. It should cost you nothing to replace....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...seen-this.html

I just noticed you don't have a stock clutch, that may give them a reason to deny this special extended warranty.
They warranty is only on the master cylinder failure.

OP - Why on earth would you put a stock slave cylinder back in there?
Old 09-23-2016, 09:47 AM
Vettemuscle1
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

ya the slave is the problem in the system. dont put the gm back in there.

go to katech and buy their whole upgraded slave/master combo kit with stainless lines and bleeder and call it done. you'll need to get the measurements on your clutch (stack height, see pic) and make sure the slave will work with it (call katech), the tilton slave is adjustable and you may need the spacer i'm not sure with the Z06 you'll need to do some homework to make sure you arent going to over extend the throwout bearing.. or vise versa that there is enough room to get an air gap at retraction (depends on clutch stack height).

you will also need a pedal stop to keep from over extending. (www.eastcoastsupercharging.com) you have to call them. mine was $89 if you have access to a milling machine it would take 20 mins with a small block of aluminum to make your own.

pedal will be a little heavier with the tick setup just fyi if you're expecting it to be lighter it will not.

http://store.katechengines.com/heavy...-kit-p331.aspx

i have all of install manuals if you need them (they're all online)

as for doing it yourself you have to drop the whole rear end and torque tube to do it. i wouldnt do it without a lift but thats me.

Last edited by Vettemuscle1; 09-23-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:00 AM
Vettemuscle1
Pro

and the 2,000 in labor is exactly what my dealer charged. actually more cuz i had them put a clutch in while they were in there but i didnt mind cuz the mechanic took the time to learn the products before installation. this isnt a simple bolt in replacement it takes adjustments and knowing what you're doing so make sure they have someone thats competent in aftermarket installation and will read the freakin instructions lol.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (04-26-2017)
Old 09-23-2016, 10:29 AM
_Wayne_
Pro

I opted for the gm one after talking to several corvette guys and monster clutch. I am putting the upgraded billet piece in it.

Yeah I already tried the warranty route lol! they say my mods have voided any warranty!
I looked at their kit. Is it worth the coin? also should I have a remote bleeder installed?
Old 09-23-2016, 11:12 AM
Vettemuscle1
Pro

Originally Posted by _Wayne_
I opted for the gm one after talking to several corvette guys and monster clutch. I am putting the upgraded billet piece in it.

Yeah I already tried the warranty route lol! they say my mods have voided any warranty!
I looked at their kit. Is it worth the coin? also should I have a remote bleeder installed?
if you're gonna open it up and do the work absolutely put a remote bleeder on. ESPECIALLY if you're going to use the GM slave that allows all the dirt to get in.

you've seen the threads on black clutch fluid? and the ranger method? etc. thtas because the GM slave lets all that clutch crap get into the system. I put the tilton slave on (the katech kit) and its been exactly a year with 5k miles and my fluid is crystal clear... i've never messed with it 1 time and i beat on that car...
Old 04-26-2017, 12:39 PM
_Wayne_
Pro

Originally Posted by Vettemuscle1
if you're gonna open it up and do the work absolutely put a remote bleeder on. ESPECIALLY if you're going to use the GM slave that allows all the dirt to get in.

you've seen the threads on black clutch fluid? and the ranger method? etc. thtas because the GM slave lets all that clutch crap get into the system. I put the tilton slave on (the katech kit) and its been exactly a year with 5k miles and my fluid is crystal clear... i've never messed with it 1 time and i beat on that car...
Just in case anyone is searching listen to this man! I went with a brand new stock, with the monster billet ring insert and it failed in less than 2k miles. I am going aftermarket this time. My question is do you need a pedal stop if u have the tick adjustable master cylinder?
Old 12-09-2017, 10:36 AM
1badtantrum
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Searching and Listening... A few questions
Has anyone tried the Tilton 60-6105 $382.50?
This is the slave Tilton recommends for the 2009 C6Z06 (other models also)?
Is the Tilton 60-6105 install relatively straight forward?
I see the Katech option, just wondering what modifications they have done for the extra $. I have a message into Jason but PRI has the industry busy this past week.
How is the install of the Katech slave?
Has anyone had a look at both of these or installed both?

I recently had a slave failure at PCA VIR that brought the great weather final weekend to an early stop. My slave bearing failure appears to be specifically the plastic piece that the bearing rides on the splined shaft. Perhaps the inexpensive billet spacer/sleeve would be enough but the torque tube is a lot to remove. This is the third time I've had my Torque tube out since Jan'17.

Option 1: (least expensive, comprehensive fix is a question, easy install)
Monster Billet Ring ($80) + new slave (+$190) + optional Tick MC

Option 2: (middle expense, comprehensive fix!, install may be more difficult)
Tiltion 60-6105 slave ($382) + optional Tick MC

Option 3: (expensive, comprehensive fix!, install may be easy not sure)
Katech Tilton slave ($945) + optional Tick MC
Old 12-09-2017, 11:06 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Man....after reading all this i'm not so sure I want to sell my A-6 and get the manual. All we have to worry about is breaking cables and won't come out of park situations....LOL. Thanks GM.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:40 PM
1badtantrum
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Man....after reading all this i'm not so sure I want to sell my A-6 and get the manual. All we have to worry about is breaking cables and won't come out of park situations....LOL. Thanks GM.
It's worse than it sounds. Just giving details so someone can possibly make use of the info. Also looking for experience/details from others who have been down this road.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:02 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badtantrum
It's worse than it sounds. Just giving details so someone can possibly make use of the info. Also looking for experience/details from others who have been down this road.
Agreed. I do plan on getting a manual down the road. Am also interested in what I may be up against. Sounds like auto & manual owners both have their share of crap parts to deal with....sad...
Old 12-09-2017, 07:44 PM
_Wayne_
Pro

Originally Posted by 1badtantrum
I have a ram slave cylinder I’ll let go

Get notified of new replies

To Slave cylinder needs replaced

Quick Reply: Slave cylinder needs replaced