C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting under the car

Old 11-29-2016, 07:05 PM
needdlex
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Getting under the car

Okay, forgive me for being an idiot...

I just got a new to me 07 coupe and I want to use race ramps to change my oil and do whatever else.

I've never in my life used a ramp. I assume they go behind the car and you back onto them since there's zero room in the front.

The reason for all of this is that my harbor freight jack of several reliable years has had a recent failure and luckily I dropped a mower instead of my car. Given that "experience" it's made me second guess the jack.

I have jack stands, but ramps just seem quick to just set them down and back up... done

What brand do you recommend? Metal? My only experience with ramps is looking at them in someone else's garage.
The following users liked this post:
John 511 (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 07:36 PM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

I think you are better off using a HF jack and then blocking the car. A jack is not made to support the car for long periods, but to lift the car til you could get some blocks under the tire and lower the car on the block.

The ramps would need to be pretty long and not steep in order to get it under the front tire.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:47 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

A lot of people use and like the Race Ramps XT (67", 2 piece). They are pricey but nice and safe.

Example: (also see post 6 for Vendor info)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-awesome.html
Old 11-29-2016, 08:04 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

You can always make ramps like these out of 2 x 12s. As I recall, the cost was around $50.

Even though I only weigh around 175, I need four thicknesses in order to get under it. You can see the single piece underneath:

Name:  Tz8BzYw.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  306.5 KB
Old 11-29-2016, 08:10 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Race Ramps are life savers. I'd pay double for them if they asked. I use the 2 piece fronts and my lowered Z06 can easily drive up the front. I use Trak Jaks in the rear so I can get a jack under the rear cross member, and I jack up the back end of the car to drain all the oil out. Easy.

Last edited by Must_Have_Z; 11-29-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:13 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

kenoverbey (11-30-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 08:21 PM
0Fred@ReverseLogic
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Service ramp calculator

You can use the service ramp calculator at www.ReverseLogic.us/race-ramps.html to check the car-to-ramp clearance on ten different Race Ramps models.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:54 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,238 Likes on 909 Posts

Just get a new HF jack. I have had the same ones for about seven years with no issues. I would recommend getting the 2 ton jack when it goes on sale for under $100. I like the 2 ton because it is beefier and will raise the car a little higher. The smaller 1.5 ton is fine and a great buy on sale for around $50 or $60, I just like the 2 ton jack better. Race Ramps can get pricey and take up more room to store than a floor jack and you can't change a tire or brakes with RR.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:09 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Just get a new HF jack. I have had the same ones for about seven years with no issues. I would recommend getting the 2 ton jack when it goes on sale for under $100. I like the 2 ton because it is beefier and will raise the car a little higher. The smaller 1.5 ton is fine and a great buy on sale for around $50 or $60, I just like the 2 ton jack better. Race Ramps can get pricey and take up more room to store than a floor jack and you can't change a tire or brakes with RR.

Because I prefer to have lots of available room to work and using 4 jackstands in the preferred locations creates restrictions, I made these for about $10 and the friendly guy at HD sawed the 2 x 8 pieces to my specs. There is an additional part at the center so it's more that just a perimeter box. Jack up the car one side at a time and the rear both sides at once for the jackstands.

needdlex (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 09:12 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I also have the Race Ramps and my car is extremely low. I have the extensions too.
I would not change them for anything else on the market, they are lightweight and easy to store. I have 2 hooks on the garage wall and just hang them up when I am done.
I change oil, changed exhaust, x pipe, tunnel plate, all with the ramps.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:24 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Old 11-30-2016, 02:05 PM
needdlex
Racer

I may have to invest in those two piece ramps. I have a huge Harbor freight jack and some "good" jack stands from there too.

I don't have a lot of experience with lifting cars. I've always owned trucks and those jack stands are just so small... I just can't bring myself to crawl under a car with just that little metal flip thing keeping me alive.

I guess I'd feel safer with jack stands than paying someone $80 to change my oil though.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:08 PM
needdlex
Racer

Originally Posted by JJLAI724
A jack is not made to support the car for long periods, but to lift the car til you could get some blocks under the tire and lower the car on the block.
I figured that was the case. I'm sure it'd be fine for an oil change, but it's just not worth trusting my cheap harbor freight jack with.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:18 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by needdlex
I figured that was the case. I'm sure it'd be fine for an oil change, but it's just not worth trusting my cheap harbor freight jack with.
Not even for an oil change. When a jack fails, it can happen really fast and with no warning. Never use a jack for anything longer than lifting the car to put a jack stand under it. Worst thing that can happen is the car comes down hard on one tire.
Daviddear30 (12-03-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 02:38 PM
needdlex
Racer

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
Worst thing that can happen is the car comes down hard on one tire.
Or my face. I just don't quite feel comfortable getting under the car quite yet.

The jack stands have the little metal "flip up" thing on the side that releases it. My biggest fear is to hit that with an elbow or knee while messing around under there.

Has anyone tested these to see how easily they release while under weight?

Again, sorry for the ignorance. As I stated earlier, I've only owned trucks and lifting them up wasn't ever needed.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:59 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

The problem with a lot of ramps is they have a tendency to slide forward on a concrete surfaces. I use 5 ton jack stands and a floor jack. I leave the floor jack in place as an additional bit of safety. I never get under the car without some kind of jack stand in place.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:07 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

While the jack stand is under load the "little flip up thing" can't be operated no matter what you accidentally hit it with. The weight of the car locks them. NEVER get under a car without jack stands in place. A floor jack can fail and you are dead as a result. Jack stands are too cheap not to have. I've got three sets. Floor jacks from HF are great. Get the low profile model. Mine is a 3 ton that I bought on sale for $79. They have a 2 ton long reach low profile that might be great for lifting the front of your Vette. I also have a full sized 3 ton floor jack (big yellow monster) and I wouldn't trust my life to either one. When I was a stupid kid I would use concrete blocks to block my cars up. Jack them up with the factory bumper jack and stick he blocks under the wheels, but a good piece of steel stand is the very best insurance.

Get notified of new replies

To Getting under the car

Old 11-30-2016, 03:08 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by needdlex
Or my face. I just don't quite feel comfortable getting under the car quite yet.

The jack stands have the little metal "flip up" thing on the side that releases it. My biggest fear is to hit that with an elbow or knee while messing around under there.

Has anyone tested these to see how easily they release while under weight?

Again, sorry for the ignorance. As I stated earlier, I've only owned trucks and lifting them up wasn't ever needed.
Once you have weight on the jackstands, you can whack that lever upwards with a hammer and it wouldn't release. I have tried it with old jackstands and cars that were on the trailer but on their way to the scrapper without the wheels. couldnt get them to release without taking the weight off of them. The cars weight "wedges" that thing into place and they are quite safe. Way safer than relying on some hydraulic seals on a cheap jack.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:13 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by CadVette
The problem with a lot of ramps is they have a tendency to slide forward on a concrete surfaces. I use 5 ton jack stands and a floor jack. I leave the floor jack in place as an additional bit of safety. I never get under the car without some kind of jack stand in place.
I had a set of steel ramps that I intended to use for working on my '69 Mustang. They were all perforated and red and shiny and they didn't work. They were too steep to just roll up on and they would scoot along the garage floor when my front tires impacted them. I decided that I needed a running start. Rolled right up the ramps and shot over the end. My pony car was sitting on its sub frame with the wheel hanging over the end. Fortunately the Mustang had the power to pull itself back over the ramps. I gave those suckers away.
PA_BLUE_C6 (12-05-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 04:30 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,685 Likes on 2,984 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I 2nd the opinion that NEVER get under a car without jack stands in place or race ramps, especially using a harbor freight jack

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting under the car