C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheels and jacking front end of car.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 02:54 PM
flyinfree
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rear wheels and jacking front end of car.

I am going to have to get my 06 front end in the air. I know I'll need some sort of ramp to get the jack under the car. My question is in many post I see that a lot of people have the back wheels sitting on wood blocks. Is this for added clearance under the car or to prevent exhaust tips and rear end from hitting the ground when front is elevated.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:59 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by flyinfree
I am going to have to get my 06 front end in the air. I know I'll need some sort of ramp to get the jack under the car. My question is in many post I see that a lot of people have the back wheels sitting on wood blocks. Is this for added clearance under the car or to prevent exhaust tips and rear end from hitting the ground when front is elevated.
no, I have lifted my front end lots of times, the rear end will not hit the ground, not even close
Old 12-11-2016, 08:41 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Mad Max is right, no danger with hitting the exhaust tips. The wood blocks that you have seen are probably for jack clearance when using jacking pucks on the side frame rails. Just make sure the car is in park or 1st gear with the E-brake engaged. Never get under the car without two jack stands supporting the car in the proper location.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:43 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Mad Max is right, no danger with hitting the exhaust tips. The wood blocks that you have seen are probably for jack clearance when using jacking pucks on the side frame rails. Just make sure the car is in park or 1st gear with the E-brake engaged. Never get under the car without two jack stands supporting the car in the proper location.
this should cover all your questions and keep you safe......
Old 12-12-2016, 08:26 AM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinfree
The wood blocks are actually used for clearance when using a "regular" floor jack as opposed to a low profile. Buy yourself a low profile jack and you will need nothing else. That is besides jack stands. I use jacking pucks and I have side skirts and the low profile jacks works just fine. Harbor Freight has the Pittsburgh brand which is actually a really nice jack.

Last edited by MH663; 12-12-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:37 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by MH663
The wood blocks are actually used for clearance when using a "regular" floor jack as opposed to a low profile. Buy yourself a low profile jack and you will need nothing else. That is besides jack stands. I use jacking pucks and I have side skirts and the low profile jacks works just fine. Harbor Freight has the Pittsburgh brand which is actually a really nice jack.
I have two of the low profile race jacks from Harbor Freight, and just put one on either side of the front jacking points. This allows me to jack the front end up by moving from side to side to raise the jacks up a little at a time, and I don't need to bother with ramps or anything else. I can have the whole car up on jack stands in a matter of a couple of minutes using this method.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear wheels and jacking front end of car.

Quick Reply: Rear wheels and jacking front end of car.