C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 12:31 PM
MoeLarryCheese
Race Director

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18
Default Battery Tender questions

After getting a number of opinions, I'll be getting a battery tender for storage. I'd like to hear opinions from some CF members on what is the best tender out there with an eye toward function, reliability and (perhaps above all) safety. Also, should the battery remain hooked up in the car while the tender is also hooked up? Lastly, I've read that when a battery is being charged it will emit fumes that can be rather dangerous. Is that a concern while having the battery on tender while in an enclosed garage? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:51 PM
HEB
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I have used a Deltron Battery Plus since 99 on the vette in the winter and in the summer when its going to set for more than a week,never any problems,it does not charge it just mantains your battery. Amazon has them for $49.99.
The following users liked this post:
MoeLarryCheese (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 01:15 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Like anything else, you're going to get a multitude of opinions on this as well. I've been using the Battery Tender Plus I bought for around $39 dollars at AutoZone a few years back. It works great and the one feature that sold me on it was the quick release/connect 'harness'. You connect the harness to the battery and leave it there and plug it into the tender when you want/need to. I have a battery cover, so the harness eliminates the need to remove it every time I want to connect the tender and it tucks nicely under the lip near the firewall when not in use.

P.S. - it does also comes with the clamps like those pictured below.

Last edited by Welker1; 12-13-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:29 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I like this Black and Decker from Amazon because it comes with all three connection adapters...$ 20.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:30 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

I use this one,,,, and its a maintainer not a tender ,,,that's the key word..lol
its a little pricy but

Digital 400

12V PERFORMANCE CHARGER and BATTERY MAINTAINER

Looking for a car, marine, motorcycle, or other AGM battery charger? The OPTIMA Chargers Digital 400 12V Performance Maintainer and Battery Charger automatically maximizes battery life and performance with a built-in battery health mode. It also offers a hybrid LED battery-charging gauge with LCD screen and a quick-set battery type selection for easy operation. And because it recovers discharged batteries that others cannot, this is the maintainer that is a must-have in your garage

Old 12-13-2016, 03:33 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Another vote for the battery tender plus. I have had great results
Old 12-13-2016, 03:56 PM
MoeLarryCheese
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by Welker1
Like anything else, you're going to get a multitude of opinions on this as well. I've been using the Battery Tender Plus I bought for around $39 dollars at AutoZone a few years back. It works great and the one feature that sold me on it was the quick release/connect 'harness'. You connect the harness to the battery and leave it there and plug it into the tender when you want/need to. I have a battery cover, so the harness eliminates the need to remove it every time I want to connect the tender and it tucks nicely under the lip near the firewall when not in use.

P.S. - it does also comes with the clamps like those pictured below.
And do you leave the battery connected to the car when the tender is plugged in? Can the tender remain plugged in for longer term storage, say two or three months at a time?
Old 12-13-2016, 04:16 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Another vote for Battery Tender Plus. I'm pretty sure it still comes with a 10 year warranty.

Yes and yes to your above questions. Use the O rings that are supplied with the tender to hard wire it right to the battery.

Last edited by Rich Mickol; 12-13-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:17 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 906 Likes on 570 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

OK, dumb question time.

What's the difference between a charger, a tender, a maintainer, and a "maximizer"? Not what's written on the box, what do they actually do?

I've got an old Sears 10amp "automatic" charger that bulk charges at 5 - 10amps depending on how dead the battery is, then reduces amps to 0 as the battery becomes fully charged. If it's left connected, it will periodically pulse the battery with a small current of less than 1amp. What would it be called today?

Last edited by wjnjr; 12-13-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:20 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 05c6silververt
And do you leave the battery connected to the car when the tender is plugged in? Can the tender remain plugged in for longer term storage, say two or three months at a time?
Yes and yes. The longest I've left it connected was 5 month's. I've heard of people who left it hooked up for a lot longer. Lately, it's been left for no longer then a month, but that is only because the weather here is nice enough so I can pretty much drive year around.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:23 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wjnjr
OK, dumb question time.

What's the difference between a charger, a tender, a maintainer, and a "maximizer"? Not what's written on the box, what do they actually do?

I've got an old Sears 10amp "automatic" charger that bulk charges at 5 - 10amps depending on how dead the battery is, then reduces amps to 0 as the battery becomes fully charged. If it's left connected, it will periodically pulse the battery with a small current of less than 1amp. What would it be called today?
A regular charge will charge the battery and shut off. Most tenders are maintainers; a Tender will slowly charge a battery back up to full and then 'maintain' there. Not familiar with a 'maximizer'.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:25 PM
icyteddy
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

I leave my Battery tender on the car for at least 6 month every year. Never had a problem.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:30 PM
MoeLarryCheese
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17-'18

Ok. great! That was quick and painless. Think I'll head over to AutoZone tonight and pick up the BTP. Thanks to all for the quick replies and valuable info.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:31 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

If you are going to hard wire it, here's a little tip. The nut that holds the clamp on the battery post is cone shaped. As you tighten down on it, it's job is to pull the clamp tighter. When you go to hard wire the battery tender, tighten down the battery clamp nut and then put the o-ring on top of the nut. Then put another nut on top of that to hold the o-ring in place.

If you un-screw the nut that's on there, put the o-ring on and use that nut you will defeat the purpose of the nut. Another thing, you don't want to drop or lose that cone shaped nut. Here's a photo from my car of the negative side. Hope this helps.
Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2016, 04:48 PM
MoeLarryCheese
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by Rich Mickol
If you are going to hard wire it, here's a little tip. The nut that holds the clamp on the battery post is cone shaped. As you tighten down on it, it's job is to pull the clamp tighter. When you go to hard wire the battery tender, tighten down the battery clamp nut and then put the o-ring on top of the nut. Then put another nut on top of that to hold the o-ring in place.

If you un-screw the nut that's on there, put the o-ring on and use that nut you will defeat the purpose of the nut. Another thing, you don't want to drop or lose that cone shaped nut. Here's a photo from my car of the negative side. Hope this helps.
Will do, thanks again...
Old 12-13-2016, 05:22 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

I just purchased some float chargers from Harbor Freight for $9/ea.

I have one on the Corvette now and 3 others on my motorcycles.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:27 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by ptroxx
I use this one,,,, and its a maintainer not a tender ,,,that's the key word..lol
its a little pricy but

Digital 400

12V PERFORMANCE CHARGER and BATTERY MAINTAINER

Looking for a car, marine, motorcycle, or other AGM battery charger? The OPTIMA Chargers Digital 400 12V Performance Maintainer and Battery Charger automatically maximizes battery life and performance with a built-in battery health mode. It also offers a hybrid LED battery-charging gauge with LCD screen and a quick-set battery type selection for easy operation. And because it recovers discharged batteries that others cannot, this is the maintainer that is a must-have in your garage

And for all practical purposes...the difference between a tender and a maintainer is ??? Does one "tend" while the other just "maintains"....or vice-versa ?? inquiring minds want to know....

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Tender questions

Old 12-14-2016, 11:51 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
And for all practical purposes...the difference between a tender and a maintainer is ??? Does one "tend" while the other just "maintains"....or vice-versa ?? inquiring minds want to know....
Maintainer, tender, float…all the same thing. Just different words. I looked up the OPTIMA Chargers Digital 400. OMG. Why pay over $100 for something that can do the job for $20?!?

I have 3 tenders. The Corvette branded Ctek that came with my Corvette. The same Black and Decker unit cclive posted above and a Battery Tender Jr. All hooked up to various different vehicles. All work just fine.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:11 PM
number10
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tender

I have the Battery Tender Plus (recommended by Deltran) and leave it hooked up except when using the car. Deltran was aware that some C6's are bad for battery drain and recommended the 1.25A unit over the Jr.

I made a small quick connect harness that comes out near the base of the drivers side windshield wiper and connects to a ceiling mounted retractable cord. Hard to forget to disconnect and right in front of you.

Dead battery problems solved.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:16 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D
Maintainer, tender, float…all the same thing. Just different words. I looked up the OPTIMA Chargers Digital 400. OMG. Why pay over $100 for something that can do the job for $20?!?

I have 3 tenders. The Corvette branded Ctek that came with my Corvette. The same Black and Decker unit cclive posted above and a Battery Tender Jr. All hooked up to various different vehicles. All work just fine.
Didn't pay for mine. Had a friend that's in the Optima race series and he gave me his as he had a few. So. Win win.
I also have the b&d one cc has and another older one.

But I do like the way the Optima unit works and displayed everything nice and clear.

Last edited by ptroxx; 12-14-2016 at 12:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender questions