C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight adjust

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 11:32 AM
Juniorss
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Headlight adjust

So last year I had the dealership replace both assemblies due to a fog under the lens. One assembly sits a little down (not flush) with the bumper. Are there adjustments to raise the whole assembly up? Id rather do it myself than let the dealer touch it.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:37 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Next time save yourself mega bucks and have the lenses replaced. It sounds like the assembly is too far forward. There are three bolts holding the assembly in place. The bolt that is closest to the front of the car is hardest to get to. There are two methods to do this. One is to remove the front bumper cover. The other method involves removing the screws that attach the fender to the car at the top and removing others from the front bumper cover area enough to where you can pull the fender and bumper cover out of the way. I believe there may be a sticky thread on this in here. There are YouTube videos on this also.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:50 PM
Juniorss
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CadVette
Next time save yourself mega bucks and have the lenses replaced. It sounds like the assembly is too far forward. There are three bolts holding the assembly in place. The bolt that is closest to the front of the car is hardest to get to. There are two methods to do this. One is to remove the front bumper cover. The other method involves removing the screws that attach the fender to the car at the top and removing others from the front bumper cover area enough to where you can pull the fender and bumper cover out of the way. I believe there may be a sticky thread on this in here. There are YouTube videos on this also.
I got it done under warranty which is the only reason why I had the whole assembly replaced. It seems like its in the right place but just has to be raised up a little. I didn't know if there was some way to just adjust it up. Pulling them out completely I don't think would help unless there is an adjustment on the light itself that you can't get to with them in the car?

Ive seen how to pull out the whole assembly in other threads but no mention of adjustment.

Last edited by Juniorss; 01-28-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:20 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Glad you see you didn't pay for new assemblies. There really is no adjustment for it. They just bolt into place. Either your fender and bumper cover needs adjustment or you need to get in there and loosen the nuts on the studs and shift it into proper position if possible. You would need to lift it up far enough to get washers under the studs to bring it up higher. If the car has never been in a collision I would suspect bumper cover or fender alignment.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:29 PM
Juniorss
Burning Brakes

Glad you see you didn't pay for new assemblies. There really is no adjustment for it. They just bolt into place. Either your fender and bumper cover needs adjustment or you need to get in there and loosen the nuts on the studs and shift it into proper position if possible. You would need to lift it up far enough to get washers under the studs to bring it up higher. If the car has never been in a collision I would suspect bumper cover or fender alignment.
Definitely hasn't been in an accident as I've owned it from new and the previous assemblies fit perfect. The bumper cover looks like it fits perfect to me too. I'll have to pull it off and look.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:04 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I've had my front bumper off many times to do projects, add front camera, remove headlights, etc. etc.
Most times, the bumper goes on perfectly, and the headlights line up great.
Sometimes, depending on which bolts one tightens first, etc, makes a difference in how the bumper lines up to the rest of the fender and light openings.
The one time I removed the headlight assembly bolts, to bake the lenses off, I didn't mark them. When I reinstalled the bolts in the assembly, I tightened them all down the same.
When I replaced the headlights, I found that they were not lined up to the bumper opening as they had been prior.
I had to determine which bolts I had to lengthen to get the headlights horizontal and fitted correctly in the bumper openings.
One can loosen or tighten those 3 bolts to raise or lower, tilt right or left as required. It takes some time but it will line up. I guess shims could also be used as well to raise the headlight in front, or on one side or another.

Good Luck
Old 01-28-2017, 10:20 PM
don37
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Interesting.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55613#/topics/55613?page=1&_k=r5ieuu
Old 01-28-2017, 10:45 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by don37
That adjustment screw will only move the headlamp capsule in relation to the headlamp frame. It will not move the actual assembly frame up or down inside the bumper.
Here is a PDF of the aiming procedure
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
HEADLAMP AIMING ADJUSTMENT.pdf (637.5 KB, 296 views)
Old 01-29-2017, 01:00 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

I'd go back and have them install it correctly.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight adjust

Quick Reply: Headlight adjust