C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry, Dodge Demon...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 12:39 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by 04DarkShadowGT
One that has an interior and no roll cage to crawl around when you get in.
It has a driver's seat. The rest are optional, but it only comes with the driver seat.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:41 PM
MR_JLR
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll be amazed when Dodge actually thinks outside the box and provides a true evolutionary redesign of the Challenger.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:42 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by MR_JLR
I'll be amazed when Dodge actually thinks outside the box and provides a true evolutionary redesign of the Challenger.
Or a Charger with only two doors...
Old 04-17-2017, 12:48 PM
04DarkShadowGT
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
It has a driver's seat. The rest are optional, but it only comes with the driver seat.
Yeah a $1 option each for front and rear seats. Where is the option in the Copo to make it street legal?

Last edited by 04DarkShadowGT; 04-17-2017 at 12:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Millenium Z06 (04-18-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 12:51 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Yeah a $1 option each for front and rear seats. Where is the option in the Copo to make it street legal?
Did I say anything about a Camaro? Anything at all? Ask the person who did; I just pointed out your incorrect statement.

Well, to be fair I did also point out that no matter how much HP it has....it's still a Dodge.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:57 PM
Narddog
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 111 Posts

Why are the stock z06 calipers covered with ugly looking covers? Not only are they ugly, but they hurt the performance...
Old 04-17-2017, 01:23 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Dodge = Fiat. 100% owned by them. This is not an American car, period. Fiat = Fix it all the time or fix it again Tony. Unfortunately Fiat has always sold junk cars. Not a good thing for the reputation of a former American success story destroyed by bad management. Heck they are still running on an old Mercedes platform.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:43 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohshift
Why are the stock z06 calipers covered with ugly looking covers? Not only are they ugly, but they hurt the performance...
Um...thanks for your opinion, I guess?

Short answer: I like the look, and I'm not concerned with the nominal performance reduction.

If you don't like the look, that's perfectly fine with me....really, it is.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:53 PM
Narddog
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypittman
Um...thanks for your opinion, I guess?

Short answer: I like the look, and I'm not concerned with the nominal performance reduction.

If you don't like the look, that's perfectly fine with me....really, it is.
Sorry, didn't mean to come off snobby - just curious really. Why not just have the oem ones powder coated if you wanted the color or looks?
Old 04-17-2017, 01:57 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohshift
Sorry, didn't mean to come off snobby - just curious really. Why not just have the oem ones powder coated if you wanted the color or looks?
[Deleted - PM me if needed]

Last edited by tonypittman; 04-17-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:33 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by buck fever
I'm a Corvette guy but I think its great what Dodge did with the Demon. It was purpose built for the drag strip just like the new ZR1 will be for the track but no ones losing their mind over that. Seriously, how many owners really track their cars?

I believe there's a lot of hate on the Demon because it would flat out whip any Vettes *** on the drag strip or closed street race and this bruises the ego's of some.

Who cares! If your a fan of American muscle, you should be proud of this. No one wants a GTR, Porsche, etc. to hold the title of most horsepower or fastest 0-60 time ever.

Kudos to Dodge on a great car
Yea....this is mostly true. Lots of bias in Corvette nation to be sure, even within their own ranks....GS better than base....etc. But I think there still may be quite a few of those over the pond cars that will/would spank the Demon from 0 to 60. Just they may set one back several 100-K...or more...
Old 04-17-2017, 02:39 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Why would you want a "new car" that you can only drive one place? I would much rather have the Dodge. I would drive it around town if I owned one. It is still a car at the end of the day. One that has an interior and no roll cage to crawl around when you get in.

Plenty of 800hp+ cars running around without cages that get driven on the street. Why does this one somehow lend itself to only strip duty?
My point was they billed this thing as a drag ready car and every teaser over the past 12 weeks has been all about the performance capability at a track (but with a warranty and street capable). I'm not saying I would want a COPO or Cobrajet either. Since Dodge gloated all this time about it being so capable at the track, I find it even more ridiculous that it isn't legal to use on a track?

So therefore I stated that a car like this on the street is just plain impractical. As is any other 800+ HP car on the street, not just the Demon IMO.

Last edited by imgn tht; 04-17-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:42 PM
ksurfer2
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How many of these will actually see the street/strip. I bet most end up tucked away in some rich guys garage (right next to their GT40) waiting for the appreciation clock to start ticking!
Old 04-17-2017, 02:48 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Spy photo caught this orange Demon on the skid pad.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:52 PM
unstressed
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

The days of people talking about a 70 Chevelle LS6, or a Mopar Hemi, or a Ford whatever from the 60/70's are over.

Dodge will be remembered for not only have the highest HP ever produced off the showroom floor, but they smacked the hell out of every one. Chevy's highest hp is what 635/650? This thing has 808/840!

Thats amazing, and I fricking hate Dodge.

You guys whining about it not going around curves, that's not the point. the simple point is it has 808/840 HP and has a powertrain warranty.

Not everyone gives a crap about curves. With that kind of power, your a stop light king, and can kill about everything from a roll.
The following 2 users liked this post by unstressed:
940CACC (04-18-2017), Millenium Z06 (04-18-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 03:08 PM
kronix
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

If you watched the reveal & read about the Demon, then you'd know that it was built for the track & street, as mentioned many times by Tim Kuniskis, Head of Passenger Cars – Dodge, SRT, Chrysler. It comes with 4 squared 315/40R18 tires & the skinnies are in the custom crate. I think people are getting confused because it's the fastest production car in the 1/4 mile, it will drive no different in normal driving conditions than their Hellcat SRT. It's not a funny car, it can go to the market just like any other car, and as others have pointed out, you can get a passenger & rear seat for $2. How good are our cars in the curves when it's raining, how about snow? This has everything a normal car has except bigger & badder.

The Drive Modes include the Challenger SRT Demon-exclusive Drag Mode. Drive Mode settings include Auto (Street) Mode, which sets the Bilstein Adaptive Damping Suspension (ADS) for comfortable ride with compliant handling, and Custom Mode, which lets the driver select between Auto and Drag Mode configurations for the transmission, paddle shifters, traction, suspension and steering.

How comfortable is a stock Z06 without suspension upgrades? Was that really meant for the streets? Mine can rattle fillings compared to my C7Z. I get it, we're Chevy/Vette guys, but it's American HP & a badass machine. I sure as hell wish Chevy would've made a beast like this for under $100K.

Last edited by kronix; 04-17-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:14 PM
KevinGS
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
They can throw all the HP they want at the Challenger.

At the end of the day, it's still a Dodge.

Over the years, you know how many thousands of car enthusiasts have said, "I don't care how well a Corvette competes with the best from Germany, Britain and Italy....at the end of the day, it's still a Chevy." Hec, I used to be one of them.

I think we should all simply be proud that this is a mass-produced 840-hp American car that comes with a full warranty, that you can rule at the dragstrip and stoplights, then drive home and take your wife out to dinner in. I think it's an amazing feat myself. No, it's not built to be a Grand Prix-type track car, but neither is a Bugatti, and people pay multi-MILLION dollars for those as quintessential one-trick ponies (and the warranty ain't even as good LOL).

Can't we just show a little patriotism?

Last edited by KevinGS; 04-17-2017 at 05:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Sorry, Dodge Demon...

Old 04-17-2017, 03:17 PM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

bring back the viper! but smaller! and with the demon engine!
Old 04-17-2017, 03:20 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by KevinGS
I think we should all simply be proud....
Proud of what? That a crap car brand made yet another car that's going to break down too often?

Originally Posted by KevinGS
Can't we just show a little patriotism?
Show patriotism for a car manufactured by a European company? I'll pass, thanks.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 04-17-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:24 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Garry in AZ
Anytime any car company has the ***** to build a 9 second car that is street legal and sold to the general public with a factory warranty, is a pretty fantastic time to be a "car guy". I don't care what brand the car is, it's still a good thing.
And while I'm not likely to sell my Grand Sport to buy a Demon, I still respect the hell out of the Dodge Boys for building and selling it.
And by the way, the car does go around corners fairly well, it will pull 1G on a skidpad with those sticky factory installed Nittos. Sure, it's not likely going to beat a real sports car on a twisty road course, but how many of us really get our thrills most often on a track?
I bet 90% of all Corvette/Porsche/Viper/GT-R owners still get most of their driving excitment a couple of hundred yards at a time, in a straight line. And for that, It's hard to beat a car with a warranty that will do a wheelie.

Garry

Quick Reply: Sorry, Dodge Demon...