C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla Midpipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 09:33 PM
goldendog
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Borla Midpipe

I just bought a used Borla ATAK catback system from ebay for my 2007 base (can't take the silent stock exhaust anymore). I didn't really intend to get the entire catback system (just wanted to replace the mufflers) but I think I got a good deal ($625 shipped - it hasn't arrived yet - we'll see when I get it).

My question is whether it's worth installing the midpipe. Borla claims the exhaust is worth 10-15 hp and the X-pipe is worth a few more. I don't buy the 10-15 hp for a minute and I don't care about hp at all anyway. My question is how the Borla midpipe will affect the sound. My non-Corvette experience tells me that the X-pipe will provide a more raspy sound compared to the factory H-pipe (which is not desirable). Is that right? Should I expect a volume difference? Drone difference?

Unless the Borla X-pipe decreases drone or somehow otherwise improves the sound, I'm thinking I will scrap it. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2017, 12:38 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Installed the same system on my '07 several years ago. The difference is I did longitudes and matrix cats while I was there. The mid-pipe really won't do much of anything for you. If there is any HP gain it would be so minimal when used with the OEM header pipes and cats it would be un-noticable. Install the cat back muffler section and go on down the road. If too quite you can always install longtubes and high flow cats.

Don't scrap the mid pipe just put it in the attic if you ever need it. No sound difference with it, just part of the complete system.

Last edited by cmonkey713; 04-20-2017 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:16 AM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

The easiest way to replace the over the axel section is to drop the exhaust at the cats/X pipe. So why not replace ALL of it and keep/sell the OEM?
Old 04-20-2017, 07:39 AM
goldendog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Installed the same system on my '07 several years ago. The difference is I did longitudes and matrix cats while I was there. The mid-pipe really won't do much of anything for you. If there is any HP gain it would be so minimal when used with the OEM header pipes and cats it would be un-noticable. Install the cat back muffler section and go on down the road. If too quite you can always install longtubes and high flow cats.

Don't scrap the mid pipe just put it in the attic if you ever need it. No sound difference with it, just part of the complete system.
I'm not looking to add power or any more volume that the ATAK will likely give me. I really wanted Corsa Sports but can't justify $1,500 for an exhaust I haven't even heard in person. Figured I'd take a chance on the ATAK for the price.

Originally Posted by weathermaker
The easiest way to replace the over the axel section is to drop the exhaust at the cats/X pipe. So why not replace ALL of it and keep/sell the OEM?
That's not what I wanted to hear! How does that make it easier? I will be doing it on ramps so the front of the car won't have a lot of clearance for me to get to where the factory midpipe bolts on. I was thinking that 10 years is a lot of time for things to seize up and be hard to remove... It sounds like this would be the only reason I would want to use the Borla midpipe.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:49 AM
goldendog
Intermediate

Damn. Just found this thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...iy-no-56k.html

Guess I should have searched for removal instructions before. I assumed the directions from Borla would apply and the OE exhaust would just come out with the midpipe still in.

So..... knowing the factory midpipe is coming out, is there any reason to put it back in? Sounds like no volume difference, even?
Old 04-20-2017, 06:11 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Originally Posted by goldendog
Damn. Just found this thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...iy-no-56k.html

Guess I should have searched for removal instructions before. I assumed the directions from Borla would apply and the OE exhaust would just come out with the midpipe still in.

So..... knowing the factory midpipe is coming out, is there any reason to put it back in? Sounds like no volume difference, even?
One thing that I noticed when looking at the thread posted was the exhaust system looked almost new. A new system is very easy to disassemble because nothing is seized up. What I have found that really helps loosen things up is to soak all the connection joints and attachment hardware with PB Blaster or another serious penetrating lubricant. You may still have a difficult time getting everything apart, just keep working with it and everything will eventually come apart. Try to keep the frustration to a minimum.

You can install the new axel back system without taking the whole system out but it is easier with everything loose or disassembled.

If you have everything out go ahead and install the mid pipe while you are at it. Most likely no difference in sound or performance, just part of the system. Your choice.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:26 PM
Magik
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Wow! What a great price. I was looking for ATAKs but couldn't find them shipped to Hawaii for less than $1700. I ended up getting the S-Type 2s for about $1500 shipped.

Getting the axle back part attached to the mid-pipe is a simple affair. In fact taking off the whole mid-pipe is simple enough too.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:39 AM
goldendog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
One thing that I noticed when looking at the thread posted was the exhaust system looked almost new. A new system is very easy to disassemble because nothing is seized up. What I have found that really helps loosen things up is to soak all the connection joints and attachment hardware with PB Blaster or another serious penetrating lubricant. You may still have a difficult time getting everything apart, just keep working with it and everything will eventually come apart. Try to keep the frustration to a minimum.

You can install the new axel back system without taking the whole system out but it is easier with everything loose or disassembled.

If you have everything out go ahead and install the mid pipe while you are at it. Most likely no difference in sound or performance, just part of the system. Your choice.
Sounds like a plan. I have plenty of PB Blaster and think I'll probably need it. We'll see. I have broken bolts trying to get midpipes off of a previous car's manifolds so that's my only fear. I'll try not to Hulk them loose!

Makes sense to put the new midpipe on (as long as it is in good shape) if I have the original off.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:41 AM
goldendog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Magik
Wow! What a great price. I was looking for ATAKs but couldn't find them shipped to Hawaii for less than $1700. I ended up getting the S-Type 2s for about $1500 shipped.

Getting the axle back part attached to the mid-pipe is a simple affair. In fact taking off the whole mid-pipe is simple enough too.
It's cheap, anyway. We'll see when I get it. The pictures weren't all that great to see the condition. They were good enough for identification and verification that everything was there but that's about it. I just couldn't justify full price not even knowing if this is the sound I want for sure...
Old 04-21-2017, 09:40 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Originally Posted by goldendog
Sounds like a plan. I have plenty of PB Blaster and think I'll probably need it. We'll see. I have broken bolts trying to get midpipes off of a previous car's manifolds so that's my only fear. I'll try not to Hulk them loose!

Makes sense to put the new midpipe on (as long as it is in good shape) if I have the original off.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:53 PM
goldendog
Intermediate

The exhaust arrived today and is now installed. Last night I removed the OE mufflers and midpipe in preparation. That went well. The bolts all came loose easy. Probably helps that the car has never seen rain... It still took longer installing than I hoped (but things like this never go perfect - at least not for me). All of the joints had been tack welded in place by the original owner/installer. I ground off the welds on the over axle pipes but the midpipe was still welded together (this style has a joint at the passenger front flange and two joints in the center). If I were smart, I would have broken and ground off these welds as the driver side pipe sits a little lower than the passenger side in front of the axle. The tips might be a tiny bit lower on the driver side as well, but only I will ever notice. If I ever get access to a lift, I'll probably loosen all the clamps and grind off the midpipe welds and tighten it up again...

As for the sound, I was pleasantly surprised. I was half expecting the ATAK to just be too much. It's not. It was a bit jarring on a cold start, but while driving it's not too loud at all. With the windows up at cruising speed it's hardly louder than stock. There is only drone under heavy load between 1500 and 2000 rpm. Cruising at that rpm, there's no drone. I wouldn't have believed it until experiencing it personally. It's a bit loud when maneuvering around at low speeds, but not obnoxious at all. Even at WOT it's not even close to obnoxious.

So far I'm super happy! Thanks for the help!

Get notified of new replies

To Borla Midpipe

Quick Reply: Borla Midpipe