C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KLOTZ Octane Booster

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 04:55 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by royal flush
LOOK--we have all these octane booster Experts gathered together-WOW!
Sometimes it doesn't take an expert. Just common sense.

I'm not a snake oil expert either, but I don't buy it.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:57 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

LOOK--we have all these octane booster Experts gathered together-WOW!
You are still missing my original point. LDB actually is an expert in this field. I am not trying to be a jerk. This was his career. You should pay attention when he posts.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:58 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
Because you can't pass an emissions test.
Originally Posted by dr_gallup
Because you can't pass an emissions test.
Huh? Here the emissions test is an examination to see if you are 100% OEM. That's ONE county in the state. The other counties have no test.

There is no such test in Gallup.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:17 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Most octane boosters state on the bottle that a certain amount of booster mixed with a certain amount of gasoline will raise the octane a certain amount of "Points".

For example, if one says it'll raise your octane by 7 points ... This is what they mean:

87 Octane + 7 Point Octane Boost = 87.7 Octane

NOT 94 Octane

FACT !
Old 04-20-2017, 05:17 PM
royal flush
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
You are still missing my original point. LDB actually is an expert in this field. I am not trying to be a jerk. This was his career. You should pay attention when he posts.
If he is the expert--i would hope he calls Klotz and talk with one of the engineers--about there products--he might learn some more about klotz
Also he statedoctane boosters formula! He also stated MMT--this booster DOES NOT contain MMT--he can call and they will tell the expert what it contains-On the can it says "concentrated tetraethyl lead substitute formula-

Last edited by royal flush; 04-20-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:19 PM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,072 Likes on 434 Posts

Their web site is just typical advertising BS and buzzwords, with no useful technical info. As ZRRACER pointed out, I’m not going to do your homework by calling them. If you want to call them, and if they are willing to tell you what their active ingredient is, by all means post it. If it seems credibly able to boost octane that much and seems significantly less harmful than MMT, I’ll acknowledge I was wrong.

As far as materials I’m familiar with, for one ounce of an actual fuel (as opposed to an organometallic) to raise octane of a gallon of gas by 2.5 numbers, the effective octane of that one ounce would have to be over 400. Ain’t no such thing. I’d say 99% probability it’s MMT, and essentially 100% probability that if it’s not MMT, it’s some other organometallic that’s as bad or worse. After lead phase out, a whole lot of people spent a whole lot of time and effort searching for lead replacements, and MMT was by far, the least harmful material anyone found. Unfortunately, least harmful is not the same as harmless.

Dr Gallop’s answer on how the state would know about a bad cat is correct, but might be misinterpreted to mean only if the state does tailpipe emissions testing. You don’t have to test the tailpipe to see a bad cat. All you have to do is see if the check engine light is on. If the cats are dead, there won’t be much difference in O2 sensor readings ahead and behind the cats, and error code P420 and/or related numbers will be set, along with the check engine light. With healthy cats, the O2 reading downstream will be steadier and lower, with the one upstream more variable and higher. So if the state does something even as simple as look at the check engine light, they will know.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:20 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 901 Likes on 586 Posts

Well, I know several of the posters are automotive engineers. Probably know a lot more than the guy from Bangalore answering the hotline.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:29 PM
royal flush
Racer

Originally Posted by LDB
Their web site is just typical advertising BS and buzzwords, with no useful technical info. As ZRRACER pointed out, I’m not going to do your homework by calling them. If you want to call them, and if they are willing to tell you what their active ingredient is, by all means post it. If it seems credibly able to boost octane that much and seems significantly less harmful than MMT, I’ll acknowledge I was wrong.

As far as materials I’m familiar with, for one ounce of an actual fuel (as opposed to an organometallic) to raise octane of a gallon of gas by 2.5 numbers, the effective octane of that one ounce would have to be over 400. Ain’t no such thing. I’d say 99% probability it’s MMT, and essentially 100% probability that if it’s not MMT, it’s some other organometallic that’s as bad or worse. After lead phase out, a whole lot of people spent a whole lot of time and effort searching for lead replacements, and MMT was by far, the least harmful material anyone found. Unfortunately, least harmful is not the same as harmless.

Dr Gallop’s answer on how the state would know about a bad cat is correct, but might be misinterpreted to mean only if the state does tailpipe emissions testing. You don’t have to test the tailpipe to see a bad cat. All you have to do is see if the check engine light is on. If the cats are dead, there won’t be much difference in O2 sensor readings ahead and behind the cats, and error code P420 and/or related numbers will be set, along with the check engine light. With healthy cats, the O2 reading downstream will be steadier and lower, with the one upstream more variable and higher. So if the state does something even as simple as look at the check engine light, they will know.
On the can label says--concentrated tetraethyl lead substitute formula--

Last edited by royal flush; 04-20-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:35 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
Huh? Here the emissions test is an examination to see if you are 100% OEM. That's ONE county in the state. The other counties have no test.

There is no such test in Gallup.
Depends on where one lives.

Here in commie NYS, the required annual safety and emissions test for modern vehicles goes like this: The mechanic hooks the car up directly to a state website via cable. It automatically reads the emissions. You either pass or fail (although there is some sort of waiver you can get, for several hundred dollars, but you can only use it once per vehicle as I understand it.)

The days of slipping your buddy a few greenbacks for a sticker are long gone here in NYS.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:36 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

If he is the expert--i would hope he calls Klotz and talk with one of the engineers--about there products--he might learn some more about klotz
Also he statedoctane boosters formula! He also stated MMT--this booster DOES NOT contain MMT--he can call and they will tell the expert what it contains-On the can it says "concentrated tetraethyl lead substitute formula-

*their
Old 04-20-2017, 05:40 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Aerovette
*their

I saw that too but decided to stay out of it.

The older I get, the more it seems like a lost cause.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:41 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bruze

I saw that too but decided to stay out of it.

The older I get, the more it seems like a lost cause.
In a thread of substance, I would have ignored it, but this one already went sideways so what the heck?
Old 04-20-2017, 05:46 PM
Mike Green9
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 110 Posts

Decades ago I used to buy 110 Octane from a local private airport, and add a gallon or two to the tank in my '69 GTO which had 10.75:1 compression. No more pinging. This was no doubt illegal as I was adding lead to my tank.

Today, I'm a lot older and smarter. I would NOT be adding anything to my fuel except for AC Delco Fuel System Cleaner +.

You might also want to check out this link and the comments about KLOTZ:

https://www.prettymotors.com/best-oc...oster-reviews/

Cons
• Some users have reported that this doesn’t work well for some newer cars. It’s even reportedly caused some vehicles’ check engine light to come on.

Ask yourself why would a check engine light come on after adding KLOTZ. Once the engine light is on, the damage to the CATS is done.

Why risk it? My 2Cents worth of advice .

M...
Old 04-20-2017, 06:05 PM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,072 Likes on 434 Posts

On the can label says--concentrated tetraethyl lead substitute formula--
That is fully consistent with the stuff being MMT. As I said either directly (post #26) or indirectly (most of the other posts), MMT was the least harmful lead substitute that was found in the great search that followed lead phase-out. So of course, they can truthfully call it a lead substitute. That’s exactly what it was. Duh. Canada used it for longer than just about anyone else, but even they have given it up now. It simply isn’t safe, either to people or to cats. Those who cite it as being ok for cats are simply citing the old work sponsored by Canada to justify their lengthy use of it. But given that even Canada has now given it up, those references are now for practical purposes discredited. If you choose not to believe me, fine, kill your cats. But I’m pretty much done responding unless there are new issues/questions. I can only make the same points so many ways before getting tired of the game.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:11 PM
royal flush
Racer

Originally Posted by LDB
That is fully consistent with the stuff being MMT. As I said either directly (post #26) or indirectly (most of the other posts), MMT was the least harmful lead substitute that was found in the great search that followed lead phase-out. So of course, they can truthfully call it a lead substitute. That’s exactly what it was. Duh. Canada used it for longer than just about anyone else, but even they have given it up now. It simply isn’t safe, either to people or to cats. Those who cite it as being ok for cats are simply citing the old work sponsored by Canada to justify their lengthy use of it. But given that even Canada has now given it up, those references are now for practical purposes discredited. If you choose not to believe me, fine, kill your cats. But I’m pretty much done responding unless there are new issues/questions. I can only make the same points so many ways before getting tired of the game.
OK--i listen--wanna buy extra can i have--ill deal!
Old 04-20-2017, 06:17 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

OK--i listen--wanna buy extra can i have--ill deal!

I'll throw in a can of radiator stop leak.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:20 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

...and a Turbonator?

Get notified of new replies

To KLOTZ Octane Booster

Old 04-20-2017, 06:47 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Aerovette
In a thread of substance, I would have ignored it, but this one already went sideways so what the heck?

and don't forget some

Old 04-20-2017, 06:52 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Who in their right mind would buy anything with the name "KLOTZ" on it??

Name:  50xUWuB.gif
Views: 147
Size:  1.5 KB
Old 04-20-2017, 07:25 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Bruze
Who in their right mind would buy anything with the name "KLOTZ" on it??

Klotz, Lol

Quick Reply: KLOTZ Octane Booster