C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost keys, getting new keys

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 12:46 PM
ls2kev
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Lost keys, getting new keys

I know, there are a bunch of threads out there but I haven't found one that deals with losing both keys and being locked out of your car. All the instructions I've read require you to sit in your car, push this button, push that button.... but if I can't get in my car that's no good.

So, since I have no key... I'm going to the dealer to have a new one machined as well as getting a new fob.

I assume this new key will get me in the car (the little key entry under the "trunk" lid)? Won't this set off the alarm? If so, how the hell would I turn it off with a non-programmed fob?!?

Assuming the alarm doesn't go off (yeah right) ... From there I can proceed to do the steps to program the fob myself?

Thanks in advance for clarifying this... which I'm sure will be the millionth time asked. Sorry. I'm really trying to avoid towing my car to the dealer, because I don't trust tow companies with my vehicle or their prices.

Last edited by ls2kev; 04-20-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:49 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ls2kev
I know, there are a bunch of threads out there but I haven't found one that deals with losing both keys and being locked out of your car. All the instructions I've read require you to sit in your car, push this button, push that button.... but if I can't get in my car that's no good.

So, since I have no key... I'm going to the dealer to have a new one machined as well as getting a new fob.

I assume this new key will get me in the car (the little key entry under the "trunk" lid)? Won't this set off the alarm? If so, how the hell would I turn it off with a non-programmed fob?!?

Assuming the alarm doesn't go off (yeah right) ... From there I can proceed to do the steps to program the fob myself?

Thanks in advance for clarifying this... which I'm sure will be the millionth time asked. Sorry. I'm really trying to avoid towing my car to the dealer, because I don't trust tow companies with my vehicle or their prices.
You may have to disconnect the horn once you get the car open and can open the hood. Next, you will need to do the "long" procedure so you erase all current fobs. With that in mind, I would consider purchasing two new ones as it will be much easier to do them both at the same time.
I have not lost my keys so I don't know if starting the procedure will stop the horn blaring or not so I would be ready to pull the horn relay or the wires at the horn itself. Here is a link to the fob reprogramming procedure;

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tructions.html

Here is a post about the horn circuit and relay under the hood:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...dead-horn.html

Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:10 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

I don't envy your situation. My wife lost her car key a few years ago and it was a chipped key that cost more than $250 for the dealer to replace and program to the car.

When we recently got our C6 it only came with 1 key and 2 #2 Fobs. One of the fobs was quite beat up from being bashed around on a key ring. With my previous experience of the wife losing her key I wanted to avoid a another trip to the dealer so I had a couple more keys cut and also found a brand new #1 Fob on ebay for $69. I now have a proper #1 and #2 fob and key for each. The beat up one will be an emergency backup if needed.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:34 AM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

one hidden fob wrapped in foil in the trunk..one hidden key somewhere on the car outside...
Old 04-21-2017, 06:06 PM
ls2kev
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by joliett
one hidden fob wrapped in foil in the trunk..one hidden key somewhere on the car outside...
Great. Thank you for that.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:28 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

From what I read on this forum, the FOB's are exactly the same regardless what number is printed on them. The number is just so you can tell them apart. The first FOB you program is #1, the 2nd #2. You could program #2 FOB as the first FOB if you wanted.

We have have five vehicles and three motorcycles, each with two keys. One key is kept where we keep all of our keys when we use them. The 2nd set of keys are in a lockbox so in case lost a or misplaced a key, we get it out of the lock box.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:30 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

The horn should stop after ~2 minutes or less ( this is designed to stop honking in order to protect your battery).

Do NOT shut the door after that until the programming is complete.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:25 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Yup! Same here (almost).

Spare fob in cubby, one key on the main fob, plus another key on my normal key ring which is always in my front pocket.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:28 PM
ls2kev
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bruze
Yup! Same here (almost).

Spare fob in cubby, one key on the main fob, plus another key on my normal key ring which is always in my front pocket.
Yep. I ordered "a bunch" of spare fobs from online because of the great inconvenience I have caused myself. I wish the dealership would have given me some advice regarding this when I bought it, particularly not leaving my fob on the same ring as my metal key................

Last edited by ls2kev; 04-22-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:10 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Yep. I ordered "a bunch" of spare fobs from online because of the great inconvenience I have caused myself. I wish the dealership would have given me some advice regarding this when I bought it, particularly not leaving my fob on the same ring as my metal key................
If you have an '07 (?) or earlier, you can get a spare key copied from an existing key for a couple of bucks nearly anywhere that cuts keys.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:14 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

why would the alarm go off if you unlock the car with the key?

Once the hatch is open, you need to pull the wire in the storage area and simultaneously open the door with your hand. If you don't, the door will remain semi-latched. BTW- it's not the little handle that opens the gas door.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:28 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LowRyter

Once the hatch is open, you need to pull the wire in the storage area and simultaneously open the door with your hand. If you don't, the door will remain semi-latched. BTW- it's not the little handle that opens the gas door.
IIRC, t's the act of opening the door with the handle in the trunk/hatch that sets the alarm off (same as opening the door with the floor handle when the car is locked), which is why the fob programming instructions tell you to open the driver's door before inserting and turning the key to start the programming, but, you have to get the door open first.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:09 PM
ls2kev
Burning Brakes

Because if I locked my car using the FOB in a parking lot, and some one picks the lock on my trunk to get in, I would want the alarm to go off?

Last edited by ls2kev; 04-22-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:40 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by owc6
IIRC, t's the act of opening the door with the handle in the trunk/hatch that sets the alarm off (same as opening the door with the floor handle when the car is locked), which is why the fob programming instructions tell you to open the driver's door before inserting and turning the key to start the programming, but, you have to get the door open first.
Because if I locked my car using the FOB in a parking lot, and some one picks the lock on my trunk to get in, I would want the alarm to go off?
Trying to figure all this out is like:

"Today the Supreme Court overturned the lower court's ruling that upheld "Laurel vs. Hardy," which had held that the plaintiff must comply with Statute #007, which vacated the previous ruling by the county court which upheld that the defendant was within his right to deny service."
Old 04-23-2017, 08:18 AM
ls2kev
Burning Brakes

So I found my keys...

My 3 year old put it in her purse, well hidden among black checker pieces............

Well I am so glad I don't have to reprogram any keys. I am so glad I put-off going to the dealership and paying damn year $200 if I was unsuccessful.

*wipes brow of sweat*

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help. I know what to do with the spare FOB and Key that I ordered.

Last edited by ls2kev; 04-23-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:34 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

So I found my keys...

My 3 year old put it in her purse, well hidden among black checker pieces............

Well I am so glad I don't have to reprogram any keys. I am so glad I put-off going to the dealership and paying damn year $200 if I was unsuccessful.

*wipes brow of sweat*

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help. I know what to do with the spare FOB and Key that I ordered.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:43 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Great. Thank you for that.
Not quite yet. Take the battery out of the spare FOB you hide and you won't have to wrap it in foil and the battery won't leak in the hot car ruining the FOB. If you ever need to use it, just get to it (you have to get into the car some other way whether it has a battery or not), put the spare in the glove box slot where it works just fine without a battery, and drive to the closest Wal-Mart to get a battery for it. This is where I keep my spare batteries.
The following users liked this post:
jmeirhofer (04-23-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Lost keys, getting new keys

Old 04-23-2017, 08:46 AM
owc6
Team Owner

But don't try to change the battery in the car, wait till you get home. It contains many small parts just waiting to literally spring apart and get lost.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:21 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Not quite yet. Take the battery out of the spare FOB you hide and you won't have to wrap it in foil and the battery won't leak in the hot car ruining the FOB. If you ever need to use it, just get to it (you have to get into the car some other way whether it has a battery or not), put the spare in the glove box slot where it works just fine without a battery, and drive to the closest Wal-Mart to get a battery for it. This is where I keep my spare batteries.
Excellent idea!
Old 04-23-2017, 09:58 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
I've had a spare battery for my fob in my console for years and never had any issues. Lol. Guess I've been lucky

I also keep a fob stashed and a spare key hidden.
Getting locked in once is enough for me to learn.

Now I have to figure out a plan for my new DD that has a key start and is the funny key. Like a switch blade. It's big and bulky.
Have onstar now so no need to worry lolol. I know problems.

Quick Reply: Lost keys, getting new keys