C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got an Exhaust Ticket in Los Angeles... What now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 02:24 AM
nick14003
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Just got an Exhaust Ticket in Los Angeles... What now?

I just got a ticket in Los Angeles for my exhaust.. I took out the mufflers and swapped the H pipe for an X pipe

Is it a fix it ticket like the old days? Or is it different now?

Will they ask to look under the hood when inspecting?

How do they inspect it, do they use a db meter or just look to see if there are mufflers?

Other than buying stock exhaust and installing, What do these tickets cost? Some places say there no longer fix it and you just pay a fine? Need some advice.

It says 27151 (a)cvc-loud under reason for ticket

UPDATE!!!

Took care of everything

CHP no longer does Exhaust inspections for los angeles, so you need to go to a referee station Which are not police officers so they cannot cite you if they see something else illegal like tints or no license plate.

went to referee station with stock exhaust on, limit is 95 decibels, I hit 88 decibels. Made sure oem engine was under the hood, didn't say anything about my tints,no license plate, or ram air intake. Passed, gave me paper to take to court.
How do they do decibel test?
they test both sides, so since corvette is quad exhaust tips they put a line in the middle from each side at a 45 degree angle away from the car about 1 foot or 18 inches, didn't ask how long it was i'm guessing from watching, and at the same height that the tail pipes sit, then they rev the car to a specified RPM that the government states, which is different for each car, for 2005 c6 it was 3750 RPM, they slowly rev it up to 3750 and let go of throttle quickly, they do that to both sides and if they are both under 95 decibels you are good. If for any reason you car cannot Pass this test and it is Unfixable, you must pay the full fee which is 400-600 dollars.
Rules they states was, mid pipe can be anything H, X, or true dual, Must have oem cats, and must have some sort of mufflers that hit below 95 decibels, doubt any aftermarket ones will in my opinion since stock was hitting 88

Mandatory Costs
$108 referee inspection
$25 Fix it ticket

My personal costs
$220 used oem exhaust/mid pipe (didn't need mid pipe)
$125 extending pipes since the stock ones I bought were a bit short, and installing stock one

The day after I put on my muffler delete pipes easy peasy!

Last edited by nick14003; 05-27-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:36 AM
gotz06?
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Move to another state
The following 2 users liked this post by gotz06?:
BlownGTP (04-28-2017), WW7 (04-29-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 07:13 AM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 764 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by gotz06?
Move to another state
Old 04-27-2017, 07:14 AM
Narddog
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by nick14003
I just got a ticket in Los Angeles for my exhaust.. I took out the mufflers and swapped the H pipe for an X pipe

How do they inspect it, do they use a db meter or just look to see if there are mufflers?

Other than buying stock exhaust and installing, What do these tickets cost? Some places say there no longer fix it and you just pay a fine? Need some advice.

Snowflake cop!

Don't have to worry about these types of things in TEXAS
Old 04-27-2017, 07:31 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by gotz06?
Move to another state
He needs a poll:

Move
Put up with CA BS!

I too say move.

Cop will tell tell his buddies, you are a marked man. Are you not even allowed to change exhaust system? Will it not pass emissions test?

Last edited by Cooter Tech; 04-27-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:39 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

More info needed. The ticket should state if it is a fine or needs to be signed off.

By removing the mid pipe did this delete the 2 cats?

What is meant by "taking out the mufflers"?

Are you running no exhaust mufflers now?
Old 04-27-2017, 08:14 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Cooter Tech
He needs a poll:

Move
Put up with CA BS!

I too say move.

Cop will tell tell his buddies, you are a marked man. Are you not even allowed to change exhaust system? Will it not pass emissions test?
Cali has very strict noise pollution laws.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:03 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
More info needed. The ticket should state if it is a fine or needs to be signed off.
Correct. I got a ticket in my old C5 once for window tint and front plate missing. It was a "fix-it" ticket. I had to remove the tint and put my plate back on and take my car to a police station to have it signed off. Really sucked *****.

Good luck.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:04 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,350 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Boomer111
By removing the mid pipe did this delete the 2 cats?
What is meant by "taking out the mufflers"?
Are you running no exhaust mufflers now?
Exactly! Was it a noise ticket? Did not meet emissions ticket? What?
Old 04-27-2017, 09:05 AM
Narddog
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
Correct. I got a ticket in my old C5 once for window tint and front plate missing. It was a "fix-it" ticket. I had to remove the tint and put my plate back on and take my car to a police station to have it signed off. Really sucked *****.

Good luck.
I got a 'no front' plate ticket for my last vehicle, a fix it ticket. I zip-tied the plate to the front, took a picture and showed it to the judge who dismissed it. Promptly removed the plate when I got home. Front plates look so bad on some cars, it's worth the risk of the ticket..
Old 04-27-2017, 02:11 PM
Dado5
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Is it a CHP or city cop.
If it is a CHP you will have to take your car to the check station to get signed off.
If it is a city cop, find some cop friend and he can sign it off for you.

to sign off CHP ticket you will have to add mufflers and cats if you dont have them.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:25 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I got a tint ticket and it was just a fine. Apparently there are two sections that it could be written up in. One is tint and the other is under stickers. He was nice and wrote in in the sticker law, or he din't know the law well. CHP too.

Front plate tickets are always fix it!
Old 04-27-2017, 07:42 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

dunno why motorcycles are exempt
Old 04-27-2017, 09:58 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

I got pulled over in Houston for having glass packs and straight pipes in my old Camaro. Put on a new exhaust system later the same day. Went to court and showed them the receipt that I immediately took care of the problem. The fine was dismissed.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:58 PM
10thumper
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Q: Is it a fix it ticket like the old days? Or is it different now?

Depends what you did in total. Do you still have cats? Do you have a CARB certificate for the exhaust?

Q; Will they ask to look under the hood when inspecting?

They may or may not. That's up to them so be prepared.

Q; How do they inspect it, do they use a db meter or just look to see if there are mufflers?

Again, depends on what you did in total. They may ask you to have a SMOG inspection performed where the technician will look for cat delete, improper mods, etc.

Q: Other than buying stock exhaust and installing, What do these tickets cost? Some places say there no longer fix it and you just pay a fine? Need some advice.

If you deleted the cats it might be more than you expect. Depends on the jurisdiction and what exactly you did.

If you drove around a car with mods you took the risk. Although, I thought LA was pretty easy on folks but maybe things are changing. Best of luck to you...

Last edited by 10thumper; 04-27-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:05 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

How can motorcycles run straight pipes? I think I would see someone who knows more about this. Maybe a "new" officer, who knows. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:40 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

This was published a few years ago and may still be the standard for measuring an exhaust system for noise level in Cali. I've only talked to one WA State LEO that had any idea about how to perform this measurement.

SEMA Action Network

In some states, noise limits for modified exhaust systems are established by a SEMA model bill (attached) and applicable to an easy to administer test standard. The SEMA model provides for the testing of vehicle exhaust noise to a standard adopted by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) with an established noise limit of 95-decibels (SAE J1169). Under the SAE standard, a sound meter is placed 20 inches from the exhaust outlet at a 45-degree angle and the engine is revved to three quarters of maximum rated horsepower. The highest decibel reading is then recorded.

To date, with the popular support of vehicle enthusiasts and related businesses, the model has been enacted in California, Washington State and Maine. This year, the SEMA model was introduced in Virginia.

95 dBA- 20 inches away at a 45 degree angle- rev to ¾ max hp.

This measurement can be made with a smart phone loaded with the right app. Judging by the description of what you did to your exhaust (removed mufflers), it will not pass this test.

**** poor excuse to write you up, IMO. Good Luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Just got an Exhaust Ticket in Los Angeles... What now?

Old 04-28-2017, 03:50 AM
gotz06?
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cooter Tech
He needs a poll:

Move
Put up with CA BS!

I too say move.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:09 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by nick14003

How long have you lived in California? Surprised you were not aware that screwing with the exhaust will end up screwing you. Good luck!
Old 04-28-2017, 07:01 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,088 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Where is the OP ? ? ?

He never came back to this thread he started

Quick Reply: Just got an Exhaust Ticket in Los Angeles... What now?