C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifting from D to N while driving safe? ( 6 speed automatic)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 11:17 AM
kharouf
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default shifting from D to N while driving safe? ( 6 speed automatic)

im wondering while im crusing on drive if its fine to shift to neutral to rev the engine like the manual guys do it while driving for like 2 seconds then back to D?

Last edited by kharouf; 06-03-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:49 AM
GREENKAR
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by kharouf
im wondering while im crusing on drive if its fine to shift to neutral to rev the engine like the manual guys do it while driving for like 2 seconds then back to D?
Except for P and R you can shift to any gear or N, you want, safely. This can be done on any modern day Auto transmission. I've been doing it for yrs. with cars that I have driven up to 175,000 mi. plus. No tranny problems ever. Very
Old 06-03-2017, 11:55 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 547 Likes on 385 Posts

I do it all the time. i pop it N a lot. If I want to just coast along. While backing. When I think about it. I do it a lot. Lol.
Actually on all my cars too.

Last edited by ptroxx; 06-03-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:56 AM
kharouf
Instructor

Originally Posted by ptroxx
I do it all the time. i pop it N a lot. If I want to just coast along. While backing. When I think about it. I do it a lot. Lol.
Actually on all my cars too.

nice thats good to know!
Old 06-03-2017, 12:05 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,905 Likes on 1,919 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

As long as you have not done the shifter mod your ok.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:10 PM
kharouf
Instructor

Originally Posted by wayback
As long as you have not done the shifter mod your ok.

shifter mod? what is that
Old 06-03-2017, 12:44 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

shifter mod? what is that
If you don't know what it is you don't have it. Lololol.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:52 PM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 229 Likes on 188 Posts

I have no idea either what "the shifter mod" would be unless he is thinking of the mod lots of people do to tie back or disable the solenoid that won't allow you to get out of Park without your foot on the brake. But that mod has no effect on requiring the button to be pushed to go through Park and Reverse. No button is required for S, D, or N. Button is required P to R, R to P, and N to R. No solenoid is ever required except P to R so ...
Old 06-03-2017, 01:00 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

O.K., gotta ask (and NOT being critical, just wondering), why would you want to do this?
Old 06-03-2017, 01:18 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,095 Likes on 2,079 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by RobLo

O.K., gotta ask (and NOT being critical, just wondering), why would you want to do this?
To be Cool

Old 06-03-2017, 05:25 PM
sfrank2886
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
I have no idea either what "the shifter mod" would be unless he is thinking of the mod lots of people do to tie back or disable the solenoid that won't allow you to get out of Park without your foot on the brake. But that mod has no effect on requiring the button to be pushed to go through Park and Reverse. No button is required for S, D, or N. Button is required P to R, R to P, and N to R. No solenoid is ever required except P to R so ...

I believe that you could inadvertently shift into reverse if you have done the mod! Could be wrong. I did the mod but would never shift into N on the fly.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:19 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

In what instance would you need to "rev" the engine? If it is running rough then you may want to get to the root cause.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:02 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 229 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by sfrank2886
I believe that you could inadvertently shift into reverse if you have done the mod! Could be wrong. I did the mod but would never shift into N on the fly.
And I'll repeat, nope. There are two entirely different safety issues. One is you have to press the brake to get out of park. The other is that you don't want to accidently shift to reverse. The former issue is addressed with a solenoid that prevents the shifter from moving out of park if it isn't energized by the BCM computer which has monitored the brake pedal position and seen that it has been depressed off of the neutral position. The other is addressed by a mechanical button latch that prevents going to reverse if it has not been pressed. They are totally independent. The issue some people have addressed by cutting or tying is the solenoid safety. Even with this modification you still have the second safety operating and you have to mechanically push the button to get to reverse. Try it. And, if you press the brake in park you can hear the solenoid click and you can hear it release as soon as you start pulling toward reverse even with your foot firmly on the brake. Once out of park the solenoid people are modifying has never had any effect.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:33 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,657 Posts

Like the others I have to ask .....Why ......

And I would defer to those that are experts in auto transmisson repair for the answer because I have to believe throwing an auto into neutral at any speed other than stopped has to have some effect.....its not a manual and u are pushing in a clutch to disengage the driveline........

Dave
Old 06-04-2017, 06:23 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Like the others I have to ask .....Why ......

And I would defer to those that are experts in auto transmisson repair for the answer because I have to believe throwing an auto into neutral at any speed other than stopped has to have some effect.....its not a manual and u are pushing in a clutch to disengage the driveline........

Dave
If you were sitting at the top of a hill with your car running (so you have power brakes and steering fully operational) and coast a mile to the bottom of the hill, in neutral, do you think that would damage the engine or transmission? No, it will not, and removing your foot from the accelerator and shifting into neutral to coast will not hurt anything either. BTW, if a manual transmission is in neutral and the clutch is engaged or disengaged you can coast down that same hill.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:10 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by flyeri
If you were sitting at the top of a hill with your car running (so you have power brakes and steering fully operational) and coast a mile to the bottom of the hill, in neutral, do you think that would damage the engine or transmission? No, it will not, and removing your foot from the accelerator and shifting into neutral to coast will not hurt anything either. BTW, if a manual transmission is in neutral and the clutch is engaged or disengaged you can coast down that same hill.
And your qulifications to make this statement are .....?

We now have lock up torque converters etc that i am pretty sure popping it into neutral and then back into gear just cant be good but ....that is why i asked for someone who has qulifications to answer

And i have to ask the question again ... why would anybody want to in the first place ?
Old 06-04-2017, 07:33 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

I've been boing it for years mainly when I back up to just coast some into a parking spot.
Or. When I pull into my driveway I do it to. To just coast in. Let the car idle and roll on its own.

How about a qualified GM vette mechanic chime in.

Originally Posted by Dcasole
And your qulifications to make this statement are .....?

We now have lock up torque converters etc that i am pretty sure popping it into neutral and then back into gear just cant be good but ....that is why i asked for someone who has qulifications to answer

And i have to ask the question again ... why would anybody want to in the first place ?

Last edited by ptroxx; 06-04-2017 at 07:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To shifting from D to N while driving safe? ( 6 speed automatic)

Old 06-04-2017, 07:53 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Sometimes I can't believe the questions that are asked here ...
Guys he is not talking about popping it in to neutral and coasting .... which can't be good either [just because you have done it does not mean you are not hurting anything ]

He is talking about popping it out of gear , reving the motor like he has a stick and then popping it back into gear while its rolling ..

All you guys can do what you want but the last trans rebuild on my C5 A4 cost me $2,500 because if a blown seal ..... you do what you want ... I will leave my A6 in gear like it was designed to do ....

I am done with this dumb thread
Dave
Old 06-04-2017, 08:31 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Many others here like myself cannot confirm how this trans works. Some transmissions have the pump disengaged when not in gear. If you are at speed in neutral, you could burn it up. *in some vehicles. I have no clue if this is the case here or not. It is definitely not like rolling down a hill in manual trans. I can assure you of that.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:11 PM
jshot00
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Again WHY?? I do it at a stop light some time but NEVER when going down the road or down a hill. IMO it is kind of dumb thing to do!

Quick Reply: shifting from D to N while driving safe? ( 6 speed automatic)