C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Volume Control Has Gone Funky

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 08:30 PM
Watchie
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Volume Control Has Gone Funky

The volume control on my 2011 (base, Nav) steering wheel has gone to the dark side. When I push the "up" button, the volume on the Nav goes down. When I push the "down" button, the volume on the Nav also goes down.

Any idea what's going on? Besides both buttons turning the volume down...
Old 06-22-2017, 12:46 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Watchie
The volume control on my 2011 (base, Nav) steering wheel has gone to the dark side. When I push the "up" button, the volume on the Nav goes down. When I push the "down" button, the volume on the Nav also goes down.

Any idea what's going on? Besides both buttons turning the volume down...
I assume this is consistent and not an intermittent issue.

I also assume the volume is working normally via actual radio.

So The problem is most likely on the switch/board in the steering wheel. If you want to just throw a new part at it and hope for the best. $46 though new
http://www.cultragfactoryparts.com/c...e=radio-switch
Old 06-22-2017, 04:45 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

You could have a clock spring issue. I would test the circuits for shorts before tossing new parts in. Although it is likely easier to swap than check it out.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:20 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by User Omega
You could have a clock spring issue. I would test the circuits for shorts before tossing new parts in. Although it is likely easier to swap than check it out.
I could be wrong but I though the Steering wheel controls were only 1 or 2 wires not a separate wire for each function?

Since most functions are working normally and one signal is in error, seems more like in the switch module.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:49 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimlock13
I could be wrong but I though the Steering wheel controls were only 1 or 2 wires not a separate wire for each function?

Since most functions are working normally and one signal is in error, seems more like in the switch module.
Very well could be using a supplied voltage on a 2 wire.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:19 PM
Watchie
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks all for the replies. Regarding the questions posed, it is not an intermittent problem - happens consistently. But the Nav volume control works normally.

In the end it probably is not that big a deal - I tend to use the Nav control more than the steering wheel controls. But given it just came up I thought I'd ask. Based on logic alone (and no other expertise) it does seem to me it is a module issue.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:06 AM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

I have this issue on my 2013 GS -- somedays it works great , then 1 hr later it is back to Up is the new Down, park the car and it comes back to normal, change a channel on radio or sirius channel - and it is now working as a down button, it constantly changes. does not matter if it is 30 deg or 85 deg outside. does not matter if it is sunny or raining. It is a variable. My 2012 has done it only once.

I am afraid to have chevy fix it under warranty - it is a CPO - since thy may screw something else up or introduce a new problem.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:09 AM
kapkanimd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I am having the exact same issue on my 2011 GS 3LT. Volume up lowers the volume, volume down mutes it, Bluetooth/command button on the left mutes it, hang up button on the left doesn't function at all.

I took the controls out, cleaned them, and put a little dielectric grease; no change.

Did anyone hear find a solution. I am open to swapping parts, but seems by previous comments that might not be the issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Wheel Volume Control Has Gone Funky

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Volume Control Has Gone Funky