C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking Coolant...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 05:26 PM
Zengod
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leaking Coolant...

hello forum, ive recently had an issue with my 07 LS2 Base Corvette Leaking coolant. It started off small , but now it can barley travel a mile without emptying out the contents of the coolant tank & temperature reaches max. I did alot of investigating, & found it to be coming from above the crank shaft, but am not skilled enough to asses the cause of said leak.

I did remove the throttle body to get a better view & found most of the engine compartment near the crank was covered in coolant. It appears to be leaking from the crank/idler pulley or dripping down from above.
this is a big issue because currently it's my only car & it can't go very far from home, any experience with said issue or further diagnosis would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:38 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by Zengod
hello forum, ive recently had an issue with my 07 LS2 Base Corvette Leaking coolant. It started off small , but now it can barley travel a mile without emptying out the contents of the coolant tank & temperature reaches max. I did alot of investigating, & found it to be coming from above the crank shaft, but am not skilled enough to asses the cause of said leak.

I did remove the throttle body to get a better view & found most of the engine compartment near the crank was covered in coolant. It appears to be leaking from the crank/idler pulley or dripping down from above.
this is a big issue because currently it's my only car & it can't go very far from home, any experience with said issue or further diagnosis would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds to me like it's your water pump leaking from the seal. A new pump will solve the issue. My water pump seal failed at 30K miles on my 2006 LS2.

The leak comes from behind the pump pulley. Here is a pic of the dried up coolant on the water pump. My underhood pad had a streak of coolant on it, and my lower pulleys/belts were wet with coolant.

It's a straight forward DIY removal and install.
Likely all kinds of You tube videos.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 06-27-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:00 PM
Zengod
Intermediate

Seems easy enough i found a tutorial on youtube & will give it a shot! thanks!

Last edited by Zengod; 06-27-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:16 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Seems easy enough i found a tutorial on youtube & will give it a shot! thanks!
Be sure all gasket surfaces of clean before re-installing. Other than that, pretty simple job, once you get the access.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:08 PM
ZFIDDY1
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Weep hole. 20 minutes to swap it out and you'll be back on the road. Had the same problem at 80k with my 05

Last edited by ZFIDDY1; 06-27-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:20 AM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

A weep hole does not leak like that, or should not. He was talking about running nearly dry in just a mile or so.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:30 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
A weep hole does not leak like that, or should not. He was talking about running nearly dry in just a mile or so.
but, where else would it be coming from other than the water pump area. That would be the most logical place to look. It could be a water pump gasket or the seal is completely gone.
I would think that a radiator leak would easily be seen if it's leaking that much.
Hiopefully it's that simple and not something more serious.

It's hard to properly troubleshoot over the internet.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:30 PM
Zengod
Intermediate

ok, so here's my update. I got a new water pump & installed it, no more leaks, but the car is still over heating...
I drove the car around the neighborhood & still got the "Check coolant level" message on the DIC. Shortly after i thought it would disappear, but the engine thermostat quickly jumped to 260 & warning lights started telling me that coolant was over temperature. Is there something I am missing? all hoses are connected properly, new coolant is in, gaskets all sealed properly, im just very frustrated.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:55 PM
pagosawingnut
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Thermostat gone bad as well?
Old 06-29-2017, 11:35 PM
Zengod
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pagosawingnut
Thermostat gone bad as well?
how can i test it?
Old 06-30-2017, 02:46 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 471 Posts

ok, so here's my update. I got a new water pump & installed it, no more leaks, but the car is still over heating...
I drove the car around the neighborhood & still got the "Check coolant level" message on the DIC. Shortly after i thought it would disappear, but the engine thermostat quickly jumped to 260 & warning lights started telling me that coolant was over temperature. Is there something I am missing? all hoses are connected properly, new coolant is in, gaskets all sealed properly, im just very frustrated.
You have a great big air bubble in the system. Refill the reservoir tomorrow morning (I'll bet it's empty), let the car warm up, and top it off again. Most of the time that's all you'll have to do.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:03 AM
ZFIDDY1
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
You have a great big air bubble in the system. Refill the reservoir tomorrow morning (I'll bet it's empty), let the car warm up, and top it off again. Most of the time that's all you'll have to do.
This^^^
Old 06-30-2017, 05:54 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is a PDF showing the proper procedure to static fill with coolant.
Hope it helps.
Hopefully you changed the thermostat when you changed the pump, just to be on the safe side.
Attached Images
Old 06-30-2017, 07:20 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Gotta let it burp.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:24 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking Coolant...

Quick Reply: Leaking Coolant...