C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport seat rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 04:58 PM
Tom Gilfoy
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Sport seat rebuild

I'm planning on rebuilding my drivers side sport seat. I have everything in but am waiting for the rebuild kit with the jute pad etc. My question is one of the reasons I am doing this is because it feels like the side bolster whether its plastic or metal is pushing through the foam. Is anything done to prevent that like putting something around the end of it to prevent that from happening? Also my seat covers are not original. According to the spec sheet it came with ebony seat covers. Someone replaced them but there is no airbag tag on the side. I don't think they would be stupid and take them out on the seats. Its a 2005 basic coupe with 3lt/1sa option
Any input would be appreciated thanks.
Attached Images     

Last edited by Tom Gilfoy; 06-29-2017 at 10:09 AM. Reason: add pics
Old 06-28-2017, 05:25 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

While I realize this is a DIY project, if the new seat covers don't have a tag on them, it is possible it's not a breakaway design and/or the bags have been removed. For that reason, I might like to have an indie upholstery shop that knows, take a look at it if only to verify there are airbags in there.

The upside might be they'd give you some recommendations on what to do about the plastic/metal pushing thru the foam. I've not heard of that one, and it could be a botched job of the replacement seat cover installation. I'm thinking you may have to correct whatever is wrong AND put in some extra foam or something to prevent it from happening again.

Tell us how it all turns out---maybe even take pics of what you find as the problem(s), and what you do. C6s are getting to the age where more will be doing similar things to what you are doing. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:26 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

The rebuild kit will prevent the plastic/metal piece from jutting through the seat foam. I installed a seat rebuild kit, and the seat foam was cut/split. I reglued it back together, installed the seat rebuilt kit, and the seat lower boltster was raised, and in the 4 years, it has not sagged.

As far as your seat covers,only the 2LT or higher had the side air bags. If yours is a lower optioned car, it does not have the side air bags in the seats. You don't say what year your car is. In the 2005 model, the 1SA optioned or higher had the side air bags.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:26 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

When I did my rebuild, I over lapped felt on the metal edges that were causing the breakdown of the foam. It's held in place with duct tape. No more sharp corners to replicate the original issue.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:38 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by airmed2
When I did my rebuild, I over lapped felt on the metal edges that were causing the breakdown of the foam. It's held in place with duct tape. No more sharp corners to replicate the original issue.
I used denim on mine, also held in place with duct tape.

When I rebuilt the seats in my C5 (which have the same problem), I used layered cotton material, but it ended up cutting through again despite this. That's why I went with denim this time.

Get notified of new replies

To Sport seat rebuild

Quick Reply: Sport seat rebuild