C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clone Tech2 purchased-Very pleased

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 01:49 PM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 150 Posts

Not following you. The 12613186 reflash you DL to the Tech II from TISWeb then upload to car PCM or BCM, not sure which, from the Tech II.

I didn't think the Tech II came with any reflashes or fixes in the tool itself. Also, I thought the Tech II did not do TPMS relearns and you had to buy the additional tool?

I'm still learning the tool myself. The 12613186 reflash is old, from 2006.
I thought I read it was a reflash of the RCDLR thru the PCM that was a sometimes fix for the infamous DBS that early 05 and 06's suffered. Supposed to correct a 30ma draw after shutdown.

I have not done this reflash to my 05, but am tempted to. That's why I was curious when you said you re-programmed the RCDLR with the Tech II.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:06 PM
89Roadster
Race Director

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Moore
Not following you. The 12613186 reflash you DL to the Tech II from TISWeb then upload to car PCM or BCM, not sure which, from the Tech II.

I didn't think the Tech II came with any reflashes or fixes in the tool itself. Also, I thought the Tech II did not do TPMS relearns and you had to buy the additional tool?

I'm still learning the tool myself. The 12613186 reflash is old, from 2006.
I thought I read it was a reflash of the RCDLR thru the PCM that was a sometimes fix for the infamous DBS that early 05 and 06's suffered. Supposed to correct a 30ma draw after shutdown.

I have not done this reflash to my 05, but am tempted to. That's why I was curious when you said you re-programmed the RCDLR with the Tech II.
The TIS2000 software that comes with the Tech 2 on CD has a flash that's part of the program I'm assuming, the software wouldn't useful if it didn't. Once the software is loaded on the laptop you set the Tech 2 as "pass-thru" and hook it up to the car where the flash is passed through it from the laptop. The software guides you through the process, even tells you which fuses to remove.

My remote won't put the car into TPMS learn mode to even start the programming. The Tech 2 will put it into learn mode but even using the TPMS tool the sensors do not appear to be talking to the RCDLR, I'm assuming I need a new one. The re-flash was more of a test to see if the laptop could program it more than anything.

Last edited by 89Roadster; 10-02-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:04 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,020 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Lets break this down to two parts,

The tech II will come loaded with the latest software, so it really should not need to be updated. As for more current upgraded software for it, what comes on it, will always be the most current upgrade for it.

Hence GM is dumping the Tech II, and going to the MDI's instead.
The reason for this, the current gens of computers have more then enough power/speed, so they don't need a stand alone device like the slower Tech II, but just a faster pass through module to allow a computer to do the needed controlling instead. To be blunt, if you need to flash a module, the MDI II will do it in about half the time that it will take a Tech II that requires TIS 2000 instead.
As for why there are not working clones of the MDI II hitting the market yet, its hard to bypass the GDS software needed on it, since it's really dependent on being connected to GM to run correctly instead.

In regards to the Tech II, its a stand alone device that can do pretty much all the RPO type switching/ scan/comand type things you need to do on the car.

Now on the CD TS2000 software that comes with the device, its a mod'd version, and comes with another piece of software as well.

In regards to mod'd, this means that you do not need to have a current subscription with GM to use it, but rather it bypasses this sign in to run stand alone instead. As for the added piece of software, its a VM player that will allow The TiS2000 to run on later than xp system. So when you install the version of TIS2000, it will first install the VM player on your machine, then load TIS2000 to run under that VM player on any later OS system than XP.

As for why you would want to have Tis2000 loaded on a machine, that is when you need to reflash a module with different/updated module software, which the Tech 11 will not have loaded on it.

Say we need to update or flash a new modules software. The Tech 11 becomes a pass through device, being that your going to plug the Tech II into the car, then plug the Tech II into your computer running Tis2000; which will be driving the flash software through the Tech 11 to the car.

Now the tricky part, and since the clone Version of TIS2000 is not connecting to GM to run it in the first place (to pull the needed file down from GM), you would have to get a subscription from GM to be able to connect to them to first, down load the needed update file to your machine, then flash it via TIS2000 (if you can not obtain the needed file from somewhere else instead).

So, if you want to say unmarry a radio, cycle the ABS pump, or just just keep the DRL from coming on during the day, Tech II does this all by itself.

Cook a BCM/ECM up, and need to flash a replacement to the car, this will require connecting to GM to pull the needed file in the first place, and will need a TIS that has an active subscription to GM (again, unless you have obtain the needed file elsewhere to run through your clone copy of TIS instead).
Old 10-06-2017, 12:51 PM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Thanks Dano, that pretty much confirms what I thought I understood about how the system works.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:29 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by RC4G
Went with this case from Harbor Freight, $22 using 25% off coupon.

Unit fits perfectly and plenty of room for all the cables.

Thanks for posting this, I picked up one today and it fits real well. I can even put my Dell XP Laptop I got on ebay (D630) in it along with the Tech 2 and all the cables.

Last edited by CSixDude; 12-22-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:23 PM
acheman8
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to bump an old thread, but it looks like these clone scanners are no longer available on Ali Express. Anyone have any insights as to why or maybe another reliable source for the tool?
Old 02-06-2018, 12:42 AM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by acheman8
Sorry to bump an old thread, but it looks like these clone scanners are no longer available on Ali Express. Anyone have any insights as to why or maybe another reliable source for the tool?
I'm an AliExpress regular so I just went online and checked. I had no problem finding at least 3 in less than a minute. From what I could see they were the same as what I bought last summer only the price has gone up from about $265 to close to $300. I also saw the same kit I had that comes with the individual components in a cardboard box and a much more expensive one that came with a carrying case. I even went through the motion of buying one to make sure I didn't get an out of stock or no longer available message.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:50 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by acheman8
The tech II is a great tool, but starting back about half way through the C6 life span, other cars started requiring MDI with GDS2 software instead.Hence if you are working on a C7 corvette, the Tech II will not work.

Next on the list, the clone tech IIs come with a clone DC to DC converter, so at some point, the converter is going to die, and it will need to be replaced.

Now knowing this up front, if all you need is a tool for a C6 alone, I still prefer the Tech II clones since its a stand alone unit. Granted that mine has not burnt up the DC to DC converter yet, but already bought one for when mine does burn up and have to replace it.

As for why the converter burns up, the clone units will not go down as far the real coverters in voltage (converter is trying to hold the voltage to the tool at 13.4 volts), and when you are using a Tech II on a car in the run mode- motor off, make sure to have at least a 10amp charger on the battery. This keeps the voltage on the car battery in the 13volt range, and keeps the converter from having to work so hard as the cars battery volt dips down close to it threshold instead.
Hence car in run mode, motor all, and you have over 20 modules draining the battery quickly and the voltage on the battery will dip down to below the 9v range in a matter of minutes instead.

On the other hand, if you do need a Tech II, but will be working on newer GM cars that will require GDS2 instead, then the VX Gm Nano my be the better tool, and only runs for about $109

The best solution to using the GM Nano, Win 10 64 bit laptop, and worst case if you can not get tech2 win to work in the 64 bit win 10 system, you need to set the laptop as a dual boot system, with the other system being Win 7 in 32 bit configuration. Hence some of the older win 7 date laptops are only single core processors, and not the best systems to have to run in a VM shell on a single core processor.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ternative.html
The following 2 users liked this post by Dano523:
72greg (10-17-2019), Chuck CoW (02-07-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 11:06 AM
acheman8
Racer

Originally Posted by Dano523
The tech II is a great tool, but starting back about half way through the C6 life span, other cars started requiring MDI with GDS2 software instead.Hence if you are working on a C7 corvette, the Tech II will not work.

Next on the list, the clone tech IIs come with a clone DC to DC converter, so at some point, the converter is going to die, and it will need to be replaced.

https://youtu.be/VAmGybyWfJ4

Now knowing this up front, if all you need is a tool for a C6 alone, I still prefer the Tech II clones since its a stand alone unit. Granted that mine has not burnt up the DC to DC converter yet, but already bought one for when mine does burn up and have to replace it.

As for why the converter burns up, the clone units will not go down as far the real coverters in voltage (converter is trying to hold the voltage to the tool at 13.4 volts), and when you are using a Tech II on a car in the run mode- motor off, make sure to have at least a 10amp charger on the battery. This keeps the voltage on the car battery in the 13volt range, and keeps the converter from having to work so hard as the cars battery volt dips down close to it threshold instead.
Hence car in run mode, motor all, and you have over 20 modules draining the battery quickly and the voltage on the battery will dip down to below the 9v range in a matter of minutes instead.

On the other hand, if you do need a Tech II, but will be working on newer GM cars that will require GDS2 instead, then the VX Gm Nano my be the better tool, and only runs for about $109

The best solution to using the GM Nano, Win 10 64 bit laptop, and worst case if you can not get tech2 win to work in the 64 bit win 10 system, you need to set the laptop as a dual boot system, with the other system being Win 7 in 32 bit configuration. Hence some of the older win 7 date laptops are only single core processors, and not the best systems to have to run in a VM shell on a single core processor.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ternative.html
Thanks. So in addition o my 2012 GS, I also have a 2001 Yukon as my "knock around" vehicle. Will the Tech II work on both cars? Do I need any additional hardware (i.e. memory cards) to use the scanner on both cars?
Old 02-06-2018, 11:17 AM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Yes, Tech II will work on most all GM vehicle up to and including most 2013 vehicles that are OBD II and also older GM OBD I from early to mid 90's. OBD I requires different connector that comes with Tech II set.

01 Yukon-yes is OBD II, use OBD II connector, plug into under dash ALDL connector and use it.

Last edited by J.Moore; 02-06-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:25 PM
acheman8
Racer

Originally Posted by J.Moore
Yes, Tech II will work on most all GM vehicle up to and including most 2013 vehicles that are OBD II and also older GM OBD I from early to mid 90's. OBD I requires different connector that comes with Tech II set.

01 Yukon-yes is OBD II, use OBD II connector, plug into under dash ALDL connector and use it.
Thanks all. Ordered from Ali Express today for $298. Will post a follow up. First thing i intend to use it for is troubleshooting the "service ride control" DIC message on my 2001 Yukon XL. Have already replaced the air compressor and back shocks. I think it might be a front shock solenoid or possibly one of the level sensors on the truck. Looking forward to my diagnosis.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:59 PM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

If you aren't familiar with scan tools then take some time to read and learn what all it can do. It is capable of giving you so much info and data it is easy to get info overload. The tool comes with a disc with manual included. Spend some time reading and learning.

Like Dano523 says above if you connect tool to car with key on engine off, KOEO, you can drain the battery quickly if you spend a long time on the tool. Connect a charger while using tool to avoid draining battery and to save that DC to DC converter, or start the vehicle and let it idle. I like to have wifey drive and me be the passenger and have full control of the Tech II and watch the vehicle go thru all it's normal motions while I watch it all in real time on the display. After awhile you begin to see what is normal and what is not.

You can test and use the Tech II not connected to a vehicle but you are limited as to what you see on screen. They have a sample file in the tool but isn't complete like being connected to a live vehicle.

Tech II is older technology but still a great diagnostic tool.

Last edited by J.Moore; 02-06-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:50 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Letting the car run to keep the battery charged works for most stuff, but when you are using the tool to breed the brakes, the car has to be in run mode, motor off.

The car pulls down about 10 amps in this mode (cycling the ABS pump at some point), so all that is really needed is a battery charger that at least has a 10amp setting.

Myself, have a 10/6/200 amp output charger for when I need to start a car with a dead battery, but is also has a low 10amp setting that I use when I using a tech II on it.

If all you need is a 10 amp charger, then walmart has them for about $29 when on sale, while harbor freight has a 10/2/50 amp charger (50 used for boost to start a car with a dead battery) for $39 isntead.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:56 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by RC4G
I believe this is the direct product link:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...612.0.0.ROyjbU

PayPal is not a payment option however.
This is for an $11 key fob.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:52 AM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm

This is for an $11 key fob.
Here are several vendors on Aliexpress that sell the Tech II some are still priced around $270 that I paid for mine in 2017.
https://www.aliexpress.com/af/Tech-2.html?SearchText=Tech+2&d=y&blanktest=0 &initiative_id=SB_20180720214857&origin= n&catId=0&isViewCP=y&jump=afs

Last edited by Icecap; 07-21-2018 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:05 AM
ki-speed
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Great info
Old 07-23-2018, 05:17 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I frequently use DHGATE.com another aliexpress type vender.
Their price for Tech2 with free DHL or FedEx shipping is....$261

https://www.dhgate.com/product/dhl-f...arl 3640955586

Last edited by joliett; 07-23-2018 at 05:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Clone Tech2 purchased-Very pleased

Old 07-24-2018, 11:40 PM
boovy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My new techii device bought from http://www.obd2eshop.com/wholesale/t...h-tis2000.html US$239.00
Here has a lot of folks give 5star,I believe folk's choice.
It is in perfect working order and has the screen cover.
Also included is the TIS2000 software which you will need to access the security to program keys
Old 07-25-2018, 08:53 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by boovy
My new techii device bought from http://www.obd2eshop.com/wholesale/t...h-tis2000.html US$239.00
Here has a lot of folks give 5star,I believe folk's choice.
It is in perfect working order and has the screen cover.
Also included is the TIS2000 software which you will need to access the security to program keys

Small glitch running TIS200, and unless your laptop/computer has a RS232 port to plug the Tech II cable into it, your going to need an usb cable instead.

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...7C10964F27B4AE

Or

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Keyspan-High-Speed-USA-19HS/dp/B0000VYJRY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1526655920&sr=8-2&keywords=tripp+lite+usa+19hs https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Keyspan-High-Speed-USA-19HS/dp/B0000VYJRY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1526655920&sr=8-2&keywords=tripp+lite+usa+19hs

Here is the driver link needed for the VM XP that the TIS2000 is going to run native in and will need to be installed in the VM shell for the usb cable.
https://support.automationdirect.com.../usbrs232.html

Last edited by Dano523; 07-25-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:14 PM
PDsVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Here is the driver link needed for the VM XP that the TIS2000 is going to run native in and will need to be installed in the VM shell for the usb cable.
https://support.automationdirect.com.../usbrs232.html[/QUOTE]

On the above link, several older OS's are listed for the driver downloads, one being MS Vista. However in the minimum system requirements sections for the OS, Vista is not listed. Do you know if the Tech II clones and any other associated hardware/software can be used with a computer running MS Vista?

Quick Reply: Clone Tech2 purchased-Very pleased