C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Tech 2 alternative

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 05:30 PM
bgspot
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

Default GM Tech 2 alternative

Good afternoon to all. Hopefully everyone had a Merry Christmas. Recently ran into an issue where i wanted to replace my aftermarket pioneer (didn't like it and much prefer my smart phone) with a stock unit. Found a cheap OEM unit on eBay. After install, i realized that factory head units are tied to the original cars VIN. No problem, i'll pay the dealership to fix the issue. Only problem they outright say they CANNOT guarantee they can fix the locked status of my radio and i'd still have to pay. As an IT/Network technician, i couldn't imagine telling people i can't guarantee i can fix your network or pc problems, but you still owe me full price plus tax.

Enter the VXDIAG VCX Nano. I was looking into clone tech II's for the past couple weeks and stumbled onto this gem. There is very little info on this product, but i still had more faith in this thing and myself more than my own dealership so i took the plunge. For $119 on amazon, i basically have the software version of a tech II device. I was able to unlock my radio in a matter of minutes. Have never used a real or upscale scan tool device so i can't compare but just poking through some of the menus, it looks like i can do anything a tech II can. Kool thing is that the tech2win software runs just fine on my Windows 10 64bit laptop. Would be even cooler with a surface pro or similar tablet. I'm sure there are reasons for owning an actual tech II device over just software, but i wanted to try something different out of curiosity and explore other options for those that want an even cheaper alternative.
Attached Images     
The following 10 users liked this post by bgspot:
bookyoh (12-25-2020), Humanrubikscube (09-19-2021), K7MXE (02-02-2018), Landru (11-20-2018), Mike Green9 (03-03-2021), mikeCsix (09-09-2018), mister2 (02-02-2021), Null Pointer (12-27-2017), wideglideleon (08-24-2020), XX (01-05-2018) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

01-07-2018, 05:38 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

OK the good, the bad and the ugly.

First off, its the 2014 vets and later that will use the GDS 2 software.
On the 2013 and older vets, they use the Tech II, and TIS2000 software isntead.

So being that this the C6 forum, lets just focus on the C6 corvette and the gm nano.

Out the gate the Nano is a cloned copy of the MDI to a degree (not the much faster mdi 2). This means that as it using Tech2 win emulator software to work with the MDI software since the MDI software does not pick the nano up natively isntead.

Now the bad,
As for the only thing that you can't do with the tech2win emulator software, is can not do any perimeter changes to ECM (it can still be read, but no changes made to the ECM programming). The BCM and the rest of the other modules, not a problem getting access and changes to them.

So let really get down to the meat of it, and since you can get BCM and the other module change access, getting deep into the BCM to deactivate F55 is not a problem as well as changing out the RPO codes on the BCM as well. also, all the special features needed like ABS pump cycle , relearn for radio, fob programming and such for the other not ECM module, just like a tech II and clone as well.

Now the ugly, since again, you need to use TIS2000 to flash such items like firmware, and some cases, ECM programming as well, here is the glitch, since not only does the Nano not come with a working copy of TIS2000, not sure it will work with as well.

Here is the reason why I think this. When you first start the tech2win emulator software, you will get a pop up screen first select if you are using a MDI or MDI2 , then a second screw will pop up to select the Nano device. Once the Nano has been selected, the tech2win emulator sofware sees and uses the the nano as a MDI device. When I tried to use my copy of TIS2000 to drive threw the nano, did not get the pop up screens to select the nano device and was unable to connect the Nano to Tis2000.
Note, have Tis2000 on my win 10 64 bit machine, and was not able to get Tech2win emulator software to work with that machine (will not give me the device pop up screen to select the nano after Tech2win starts). Instead, I have to install the Tech2win software on a win 7 32 bit machine to get it to work and do testing and not a VM copy of TiS200 on it isntead.

So the fact that the nano GM device does not come with Gm TIS2000, Not really sure if it going to work with Tis2000 to start with.
Again, maybe its my win 10 64 bit machine, but when opened TIS2000, it looking for an actual Tech II, and which does not giving me the option of selecting the the Nano device as well. Hence the two screens that pop up to select the device are part of Tech2win emulator software, so when you open up Tis2000, it not opening up that software to being with. Hence the reason that I beleive is the nano is going to work with TIS200, then someone is going to have to crack that software as well to work with the nano device.

So, for someone that will wrench on the C6 ,and needs a Tech II for anything else than changing ecm peramiters or flashing in firmware, the nano with it Tech2win emulateur software is very good tool for that (if you have a machine that it will load on, since again, will not work on my win 10 64 bit machine). But, and here is the huge one, unless Vxdiag has a way for Tis2000 to select the nano to work with Tis2000 (again, was not getting the pop up screens to select the device to work with the Nano), then don't see if working with TIS2000 instead.

So, do I think the nano and the software you get with it as good as than the Tech II clone, No. The tech II clone come with level access to do ECM peramiter changes, and also a working cracked copy of TIS2000 as well. Hence with saved firmware files for your car, you can reflash modules at will.

So the niche for the nano GM is really for someone that the dealer may gouge for say a radio relearn, adding in a XM channel to a radio, having to delete F55 module, and the other items that a Tech II comes in handy for, as well the needed information to pull up codes in say the BCM. It also a good tool to pull modules information and testing when you are wrenching on the car as well

If you need to do the extra step and get into the ECM parameter changes or even have to reflash firmware, then you really need a hand held Tech II or clone and its TIS2000 software that comes with it instead.

Now to touch on Gds2 software since it does come with it, and will be handy for other GM cars that you may have as well. Hence what GM car models/years that you use a tech2 win/ Tech 2 with Tis2000 as the pass through or gds2 software instead, the below link has a good chart.

http://www.genuinegmparts.com/pdf/po...-reference.pdf
Old 12-27-2017, 06:38 PM
Boilerman
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I am no IT smart but still have to ask, how do you make the connection between the VCX Nano and the computer?
Old 12-27-2017, 07:55 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

That screen does look exactly like my Tech II menus. Some sort of emulator I'm guessing. Nice find.

Edit: Curious how you connected the laptop to your obd 2 port?

Last edited by doomi; 12-27-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:48 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by doomi
That screen does look exactly like my Tech II menus. Some sort of emulator I'm guessing. Nice find.

Edit: Curious how you connected the laptop to your obd 2 port?
you plug the device into the OBD2 port, and then you either use Wifi back to the laptop to connect that way ($129), or you can use a usb cable instead ($119).

Even through the device is using GDS2, MDI and Tech2win software on the laptop side, the only thing that I have to question is if you can drive firmware upgrades through it to reprogram modules if needed as well?

Now the bad news that maybe the op can bring us up to speed, did you mange to get the tech2 win to install on a 64 bit machine with 64 bit windows, or did you install tech2win and the rest of the software a 32windows machine only isntead.

First GDS2 works with the included software as a virtual machine with VMWare running in a decent hardware, no low end Pentiums or Celeron, please Core2Duos and up, Minimum 4GB Ram, etc..

Second and thanks for the seller assistance, Tech2Win works ONLY in a physical system with Windows Xp or Windows 7 x86 (32Bit) installation. It does not work any other way. It DOES NOT WORK in a x64 (64Bit) environment. Did I say only 32Bit?
Truth is, for $119, would just about cover what most are using the tech II for on the vet anyways, but still back to the question if you have to have a X86 machine (32 bit machine with 32 bit windows software) to load the needed tech2 win software to, since it does look its a no-go on a X64 machine with window 64 bit windows install , and even a no go of trying to VM a X86 shell to run tech2 win that way on a X64 loaded version of windows on a 64 bit machine instead.

So the real question since most of the newer laptops are 64 bit, and running windows 10 64 bit, is this what you loaded the software to, and had no problems running it? Or did you have a 32 bit machine laying around to load the software to instead.
Note, there is a work around to get a 32 bit program to run on 64 bit software, but it no joy, and not sure how its going to reach to GDS2 running in a VM shell at the same time.
https://benpiper.com/2011/11/forcing...s-environment/

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Dano523; 12-27-2017 at 09:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Null Pointer (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 11:13 PM
bgspot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Boilerman
I am no IT smart but still have to ask, how do you make the connection between the VCX Nano and the computer?
As Dano says, it connects via a usb cable that comes with the device and then the device itself connects to your cars OBD2. Yes you can even reprogram modules. Its basically the same you would do it with the clone tech 2. You use the GDS2 software. It comes with the device, but i'm not sure if its a cracked version and would still require one to obtain a subscription from the ACdelco website (some one will correct me if im wrong). I'm not sure if there is some kind of test i could do to verify that without actually reprogramming a module???
Old 12-27-2017, 11:14 PM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

Very interesting. I am just about to pull the trigger on a Tech 2 clone, thanks to some great info from the members of this forum, and now this thing shows up. OP says he has it running on a Windows 10 64bit laptop, Something to think about as an alternative. Thanks OP.
The following 2 users liked this post by Null Pointer:
bgspot (12-27-2017), wideglideleon (08-24-2020)
Old 12-27-2017, 11:18 PM
bgspot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dano523

So the real question since most of the newer laptops are 64 bit, and running windows 10 64 bit, is this what you loaded the software to, and had no problems running it? Or did you have a 32 bit machine laying around to load the software to instead.
Note, there is a work around to get a 32 bit program to run on 64 bit software, but it no joy, and not sure how its going to reach to GDS2 running in a VM shell at the same time.
https://benpiper.com/2011/11/forcing...s-environment/

https://www.amazon.com/VXDIAG-Tech2W.../dp/B074365Q6H
I was only speaking for the tech2win software. That i did run straight from a Windows 10 64-bit laptop. Website says that GDS2 only runs from a Windows XP/7 32-bit computer. If there is a simple GDS2 test that anyone can think of for me to try, i then confirm or deny this claim. FYI i have a windows XP, 7, 8, and 10 32 & 64 bit laptops. So i could try on any operating system.

Last edited by bgspot; 12-27-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:48 AM
stavanger
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 97 Posts

VXDIAG VCX Nano GDS2 and Tech2Win Diagnostic Programming System for GM/Opel Wifi Version.

Amazon Amazon

https://www.aliexpress.com/af/vxdiag...ewCP=y&catId=0

Last edited by stavanger; 12-28-2017 at 03:16 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:10 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Good find.
stavanger (12-29-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 05:28 PM
Dano523
Race Director

BGspot, now that you do have the tool, and living in a high humidity area, might want to turn the HVAC after blow on.

Connect the scan tool.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Select HVAC Module.
Select HVAC Systems Automatic.
Select Special Functions.
Select HVAC.
Select Afterblow Option.
Select ENTER to enable the afterblow.
When done, use the soft key to save changes.
When afterblow has been enabled by the scan tool the blower motor will operate between medium and high speed for 4 minutes after the engine has been turned off.
What is will do is turn the HVAC fan on for 4 mins, 10 mins after you tune the car off, to dry the HVAC coils off to prevent mold from growing on them.

P.S, at $100 that amazon had a coupon for to knock it down from $119, just ordered up one of the USB cable units. When it gets here, will go through it against my Tech II units, to see if there is anything missing between the two.

Also, since I have a few Gm module firmware flash file for my car stored, will check to see if it will drive them to re-flash one of the module correctly through the tool/ the software it comes with.

Last edited by Dano523; 12-29-2017 at 04:52 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dano523:
bgspot (12-29-2017), Brandon619 (12-29-2017), mikeCsix (01-08-2018)
Old 12-29-2017, 10:00 AM
bgspot
Burning Brakes

^Good deal. Not gonna lie, wish i had more stuff to do with my car so i could play with mine further. But i will look at the HVAC option.

I fired up the GDS2 software and that indeed runs off Windows XP. But it does come with the VM software. So far everything works under my Windows 10, but like i said the GDS2 is running in the VM software.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:21 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Tech 2 clone died last week and was only used a few times since I received it in Nov, bad dc convertor I think. I needed a replacement and ordered the VXDIAG VCX Nano and should be here Thursday. I came here to see if anyone else has and behold someone has. Thanks for addressing the windows 10 64bit working with the tech2win software. I will have to program a BCM for a 2012 gs with the VXDIAG VCX Nano . Oh and I wanted to add the research I have done is the clone MDI 2 is basically a nano in the MDI 2 case.

Last edited by XX; 01-06-2018 at 05:42 PM.
bgspot (01-04-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 01:28 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Are you able to command the ABS module open/closed for a true brake bleed? And I have not had a Tech2 connected to my ZR1 to see if I have different menus or not (doubtful), but does it show the ability to command a intercooler pump on/off? Really interested in this as I’ve been looking into the knock off Tech2s for a while now to avoid having to go to my dealer for anything (so incompetent they rotated tires on my dually and thus installed the wheels with the unfinished side out and never noticed)
Old 01-03-2018, 02:00 AM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
Are you able to command the ABS module open/closed for a true brake bleed? And I have not had a Tech2 connected to my ZR1 to see if I have different menus or not (doubtful), but does it show the ability to command a intercooler pump on/off? Really interested in this as I’ve been looking into the knock off Tech2s for a while now to avoid having to go to my dealer for anything (so incompetent they rotated tires on my dually and thus installed the wheels with the unfinished side out and never noticed)
Bleeding ABS with Tech II
Perform a manual or pressure bleeding procedure. If the desired brake pedal height results are not achieved, perform the automated bleed procedure below.

The procedure cycles the system valves and runs the pump in order to purge the air from the secondary circuits normally closed off during normal base brake operation and bleeding. The automated bleed procedure is recommended when air ingestion is suspected in the secondary circuits, or when the BPMV has been replaced.

Automated Bleed Procedure

Notice: The Auto Bleed Procedure may be terminated at any time during the process by pressing the EXIT button. No further Scan Tool prompts pertaining to the Auto Bleed procedure will be given. After exiting the bleed procedure, relieve bleed pressure and disconnect bleed equipment per manufacturers instructions. Failure to properly relieve pressure may result in spilled brake fluid causing damage to components and painted surfaces.

1. Raise the vehicle on a suitable support.
2. Remove all four tire and wheel assemblies.
3. Inspect the brake system for leaks and visual damage. Refer to Brake Fluid Loss or Symptoms - Hydraulic Brakes. Repair or replace as needed.
4. Inspect the battery state of charge.
5. Install a scan tool.
6. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
7. With the scan tool, establish communications with the EBCM. Select Special Functions. Select Automated Bleed from the Special Functions menu.
8. Bleed the base brake system.
9. Follow the scan tool directions until the desired brake pedal height is achieved.
10. If the bleed procedure is aborted, a malfunction exists. Perform the following steps before resuming the bleed procedure:
- If a DTC is detected, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code
(DTC) List and diagnose the appropriate DTC.
- If the brake pedal feels spongy, perform the conventional brake bleed procedure again.
11. When the desired pedal height is achieved, press the brake pedal in order to inspect for firmness.
12. Remove the scan tool.
13. Install the tire and wheel assemblies.
14. Inspect the brake fluid level.
15. Road test the vehicle while inspecting that the pedal remains high and firm
The following 3 users liked this post by XX:
mikeCsix (01-08-2018), Purple92 (01-17-2018), teebee (01-10-2019)
Old 01-03-2018, 02:09 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Should have my unit something this week, and will go through it with a fine tooth comb to see that is really needed.

On tech2win, although the op is stating that its working in 64 bit mode, really want to go through it to double check if it needs to run in win 7 compatible mode for everything to work "correctly" instead.

GDS2 is run in VM mode under a XP shell so that should be trouble free, but need to check out SDS to see if it has a connection to AC delco/if it has been set up with some sort of an asian account to pull down firmware files. Here, got a feeling that you would need to get a one day subscription in order to pull down the firmware from GM, but want to see if it can still used firmware files that have been stored without needing a SDS account.

Hence if you do need an account to pull firmware files since you can't find them elsewhere, you want to pull down all the firmware file for your car and store them when you do have that one day account.

As for cycling the ABS pump with either a tech II or tech2win with the nano, and note that you do the procedure before you power flush/bleed, then after as well.
also, since the abs pump is not used much for most drivers, and you do have a tech II/ nano on hand, not a bad idea to run the pump about twice a year. This will cycle the stagnant fluid out of the pump, to refill it with fluid that has been recirculating; but still do a complete power brake flush around every two years still.

Last edited by Dano523; 01-03-2018 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:30 AM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

If your thinking about a TECH 2 or have one that died like mines, this may help fix it.

Last edited by XX; 01-03-2018 at 02:32 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:28 PM
bgspot
Burning Brakes

On tech2win, although the op is stating that its working in 64 bit mode, really want to go through it to double check if it needs to run in win 7 compatible mode for everything to work "correctly" instead.
Yep that is a good point. Because i only needed to do one thing to my car, i don't really have anything else to try with the tech2win software. I would image that since the software/windows 10 had no problems communicating with my car, i'd like to believe every other function should work but you never know. It's great that you'll be able to compare the two to see if there are any differences

Get notified of new replies

To GM Tech 2 alternative

Old 01-04-2018, 05:00 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by bgspot
Yep that is a good point. Because i only needed to do one thing to my car, i don't really have anything else to try with the tech2win software. I would image that since the software/windows 10 had no problems communicating with my car, i'd like to believe every other function should work but you never know. It's great that you'll be able to compare the two to see if there are any differences
Putting tech2 win into win 7 compatibility mode is not hard to do.

Go to the start icon for tech2win, right click it and go to properties, and see if you can click the box and make it run it in win 7 mod.

If the box is grayed out and you can not do it this way, click on the windows icon, type in run in the search box, then find run program made for a previous version of windows in list it will bring out and click on that to open that program. From here, it pretty straight forward to find Tech2 win, and change tech2 win so it running in win 7 compatible mode.

As for SDS, need to see that if it has for any type of account already set up in it's memory. Hence in VM, gds2 should run fine, but without a active account in SDS, it never going to connect to GM to pull firmware files down that way instead.

Hell who knows, and if the SDS program on the disco does not have a hidden account on it, maybe you can access GM via the cloud software isntead.

Huge update and to make the Nano work with win 10 64 you have to load the problems as follows.

Originally Posted by Porkchopusn1
Thank you Dano. It's working. The problem appeared to be in the sequence of installation. This is what worked-
1. Load the device
2. Execute MDI.exe
3. Install VXmanager
4. Execute auto install with VXmanager running.

Happy camper here. Thank you again.
http://blog.vxdiagshop.com/2016/09/1...sis-comes-out/

Last edited by Dano523; 03-02-2019 at 02:15 PM.
mikeCsix (01-08-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 07:33 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

Had I known this was available, I would have chosen this option over a TechII clone. Dealing with the cables on the TechII is like wrestling a boa constrictor. This looks to me like a cleaner, simpler, cheaper alternative.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:26 AM
bgspot
Burning Brakes

Putting tech2 win into win 7 compatibility mode is not hard to do.

Go to the start icon for tech2win, right click it and go to properties, and see if you can click the box and make it run it in win 7 mod.

If the box is grayed out and you can not do it this way, click on the windows icon, type in run in the search box, then find run program made for a previous version of windows in list it will bring out and click on that to open that program. From here, it pretty straight forward to find Tech2 win, and change tech2 win so it running in win 7 compatible mode.

As for SDS, need to see that if it has for any type of account already set up in it's memory. Hence in VM, gds2 should run fine, but without a active account in SDS, it never going to connect to GM to pull firmware files down that way instead.

Hell who knows, and if the SDS program on the disco does not have a hidden account on it, maybe you can access GM via the cloud software isntead.

http://blog.vxdiagshop.com/2016/09/1...sis-comes-out/
Ya it isn't. I'm an IT/networking guy. I was just saying i didn't have to do anything other than install the software to accomplish what i needed to do. Still waiting for your comparison though as this would help further the cause with DIY's tackling their own gremlins or projects without going to the dealership.

Last edited by bgspot; 01-05-2018 at 09:29 AM.

Quick Reply: GM Tech 2 alternative