C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Tech 2 alternative

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 12:22 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by bad1968ss
I loaded back windows 7 32bit on mines. I agree the tech 2 clone is better in size and loading, if mines wouldn't have died I wouldn't be giving this a try. I did order a replacement dc converter to try and repair it.

Don't feel bad, since I pulled my clone apart to just take a look at the solder joints to clean them up when I first got it so they would not cause problems, saw the cheap knock off DC to DC converter then, and have a back up to replace mine when it goes bad as well.

If nothing else, when you go auto bleed the brakes, you don't have the huge gm Nano hanging down that you have to sneak your foot under it as you cycle the ADS pump and ride the brake pedal. Hence going to be a bitch to do driving data runs with the nano plugged in, since it hangs down so low and really gets in the way if you are trying to drive the car.

Hell trust is, for checking the engine and doing engine data logs, find it easy to just run my low profile wifi Elm 327 and run scan master elm via the laptop on the bench. Hence the low profile wifi elm327 came with a copy of scan master via amazon for $19, and also works with my Iphone running dashcommand for driving, since the elm327 wifi device only site about an inch below the OBDI port when plugged in.

Where the tech II comes in (and gm nano), is the rest of the car, since the scan master/other types of basic scanners can not get into the body modules to pull and clear those codes, nor get you into the special options as well.

As for HPtuner over EFI live, have both and can't really say for sure which is the better tuning software. Hp tuner has come a long way with extra options, while EFI gave you access to all the options from the start instead. Also, these are both good devices to use to do driving data runs like the Tech II clone as well, since when plugged in, the the cords can be tucked up to not get in the way either.

Hence still not sold if the Gm Nano will stay plugged in/your not going to knock it out of the port for driving data runs.

Attachment 48354866
Attachment 48354867

And up against my wifi elm327 that I use more often with Scan master or dashcommand for driving data logging runs instead.
Attachment 48354868
Old 01-08-2018, 08:26 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Even my Tech2 clone cable gets in the way too. This helps.

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-08-2018, 08:50 AM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 150 Posts

The ALDL connector has always been a problem with the cables being in the way. Even my high dollar Snap-On Solus Ultra cables were usually in the way.

What makes the difference is where the ALDL is located. On our Vettes it points down at the floor, cables are in the way.

Some cars have the ALDL connector point straight at the driver seat and much better room for your legs and feet.

Other cars hide the connector behind the console or ash try or fuse box.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:31 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 191 Likes on 165 Posts

Thanks for the inputs Dano, Can't wait to get an opportunity to check out what I have and learn how to use it.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:03 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
Thanks for the inputs Dano, Can't wait to get an opportunity to check out what I have and learn how to use it.

No worries, and with any luck, will not have a problem with Win2 tech working on your win 10 64 bit machine.

Update!!!!!

Load software as follows for win 10 64 bit machine.
Originally Posted by Porkchopusn1
Thank you Dano. It's working. The problem appeared to be in the sequence of installation. This is what worked-
1. Load the device
2. Execute MDI.exe
3. Install VXmanager
4. Execute auto install with VXmanager running.

Happy camper here. Thank you again.
Just make sure that you have the scanner plugged into your usb port, do a double check in the device manger to make sure it showing up, and when you start Win2Tech, the program should open up, then you should get a pop up screen to select MDI, then the next screen to select the Nano device.

Hence its this pop up screen that I was not getting on my win 10 64 bit machine (could could not figure out a way to get it), so although the win2 tech program was open, it was not connected to the Nano instead.

On my win 7 32 bit machine, if the scanner is not plugged in before the Tech2win program is started, do not get the select device screens as well.

So to bottom line it, if you can get tech2win to work on a win 10 machine, then life if good. Hence you are working on a fast machine so tech2win works native, you can use the VM player to VM into GDS 2, and then just need to build another VM running a full install of XP so you can add TIS2000 to it to use SDS within that TIS200O program, and have the full Monty with the Nano.

If the Tech2 win will not work with your current win10 laptop, then here is where it starts to get rough instead. Hence on older Win 7 32 bit laptop usually has a centrino M single core processor in it ( or slower single core slower CPU), and although it runs fine for native win 7 to run Tech2win, it's when you add in MS VM to it (VM player and VM workstation require a Multi processor CPU), that the VM shells run very slow to run GDS2 and TIS2000 in xp mode . So it still works for the two different configured VM's that you will need configure differently, but the two VM's are going to be brutally slow if your trying to keep everything on one machine.

So right now, I have tech2win loaded on my old win 7 latop, and the VM on my 64 bit machine. If I can score a cheap win tablet type that has a multi core process, then the game plan is to load win 10 32 bit on it, and use if for the full monty instead.
Note, still think that it a Intel verses AMD processor thing for the Win10 64 bit not working problem, since I do see extra drivers in the GM program needed for AMD processors, and these may be what is making the difference.

BGspot, never heard back, but by chance is your win10 64 bit laptop running an AMD 64 bit CPU and not a Intel 64 bit CPU instead?

Last edited by Dano523; 03-02-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:11 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Dano523
No worries, and with any luck, will not have a problem with Win2 tech working on your win 10 64 bit machine.

Just make sure that you have the scanner plugged into your usb port, do a double check in the device manger to make sure it showing up, and when you start Win2Tech, the program should open up, then you should get a pop up screen to select MDI, then the next screen to select the Nano device.

Hence its this pop up screen that I was not getting on my win 10 64 bit machine (could could not figure out a way to get it), so although the win2 tech program was open, it was not connected to the Nano instead.

On my win 7 32 bit machine, if the scanner is not plugged in before the Tech2win program is started, do not get the select device screens as well.

So to bottom line it, if you can get tech2win to work on a win 10 machine, then life if good. Hence you are working on a fast machine so tech2win works native, you can use the VM player to VM into GDS 2, and then just need to build another VM running a full install of XP so you can add TIS2000 to it to use SDS within that TIS200O program, and have the full Monty with the Nano.

If the Tech2 win will not work with your current win10 laptop, then here is where it starts to get rough instead. Hence on older Win 7 32 bit laptop usually has a centrino M single core processor in it ( or slower single core slower CPU), and although it runs fine for native win 7 to run Tech2win, it's when you add in MS VM to it (VM player and VM workstation require a Multi processor CPU), that the VM shells run very slow to run GDS2 and TIS2000 in xp mode . So it still works for the two different configured VM's that you will need configure differently, but the two VM's are going to be brutally slow if your trying to keep everything on one machine.

So right now, I have tech2win loaded on my old win 7 latop, and the VM on my 64 bit machine. If I can score a cheap win tablet type that has a multi core process, then the game plan is to load win 10 32 bit on it, and use if for the full monty instead.
Note, still think that it a Intel verses AMD processor thing for the Win10 64 bit not working problem, since I do see extra drivers in the GM program needed for AMD processors, and these may be what is making the difference.
I just added a partition for dual boot Windows 10 and 7
Old 01-09-2018, 11:23 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by mikeCsix

Old 01-18-2018, 06:58 PM
719c6
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts

Ordered 1 today from overseas. We shall see how long it takes to get here.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:20 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Default Anybody also install and try the VXDiag GDS2 app?

Hoping this isn't perceived as a hijack - this is the best thread I've found on the site for this post so far anyway. I ordered and received a VXDiag VCX Nano on Saturday. I currently have a Tech 2 clone unit, so although I'm not immediately in need of Tech2Win, I might do so later if it's convenient or otherwise better in some respects than the stand-alone clone unit.

I primarily bought it for the later cars which use GDS2/MDI, specifically a Chevy Cruze and a '15 C7. I also bought a refurbished HP Elitebook running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on a dual core I5 processor.

The software CD that comes with the VCX Nano I received has two install routines with installation instructions that were brief and somewhat minimal. One install routine for Tech2Win and one for GDS2. The Tech2Win software installs and runs under native Win 7, and with not too much trouble that was up and running, and I could use it on an '01 Vette.

Where I'm having trouble is with the GDS2 install. The GDS2 app is packaged on the CD as a VMWare virtual machine file (with corresponding configuration file), and also has the VMPlayer installation package. The instructions have you run the VMPlayer installation, and then copy the GDS2 virtual machine file (about 3.5 GB) with the corresponding 4K configuration file to the laptop's hard drive. Then run the virtual machine file with the VMPlayer. This starts a Windows XP Pro virtual machine to run the GDS2 app.

I'm not familiar with VMWare and I'm having trouble getting the GDS2 app to start. The Win XP appears to start (see the WinXP splash screen) when VMPlayer loads the GDS2 config file, displays the welcome splash, but soon gets an error indicating Explorer.Exe did not initialize showing a 0xc000005 error code. After clicking that error away (appears twice), it then goes to what appears to be a blank XP desktop with no icons on it and after about 10 minutes or so goes into Win XP screen saver mode.

So, if anybody who has installed this has any suggestions on where to start looking to getting this up and running, I'm all ears. I suspect it has to do with how VMPlayer is configured but I'm not sure. I've never used VMWare so it's a mystery for me to debug it. I also don't know if I actually need Win XP or some of its components installed or available in some form on the laptop. Thanks in advance for any comments.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:57 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Install the VM player as admin (right click on it and select run as admin).

Once have vm player installed on your machine, forget all about the VM player app start icon, since you not going to use it, since the xp version it has set up under it, will not work with nothing else but GDS2.

Now copy the GDS2 folder from the disc, to somewhere on your drive (folder and the files in it).

Now in that GDS2 folder you just copied to your hard drive, your going to right click on the VM.vmx file inside that folder and select to open it with Vm player app (selected from programs from the list).

If you want a icon to click on to open the GDS2 program via VM player without having to go into the folder each time, do a copy on the VM.vmx file via the right click method, go over to your desk top, do a right click paste of it there to make a short cut, do another click on the shortcut icon you just pasted into desk top, go down to rename, and just change the shortcut name to GSD2. Now when you click on the new icon named GSD2 you just made, it will open up GDS2 in the vm player.

If you want the icon in the start drop down menu, then right click on it again, and select pin to start menu (classic in my case, since I run classic shell since windows 8).

Hence you don't start the GDS2 program by clicking on VM player, but by clicking on the vm.vmx file in the program, with it desinated to be opened up via VM player instead. Note if you do the GDS2 shortcut icon, make sure that is selected to open up with VM player as well.

Last edited by Dano523; 01-29-2018 at 09:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dano523:
fred_S (08-23-2018), pickleseimer (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 10:28 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Install the VM player as admin (right click on it and select run as admin).

Once have vm player installed on your machine, forget all about the VM player app start icon, since you not going to use it, since the xp version it has set up under it, will not work with nothing else but GDS2.

Now copy the GDS2 folder from the disc, to somewhere on your drive (folder and the files in it).

Now in that GDS2 folder you just copied to your hard drive, your going to right click on the VM.vmx file inside that folder and select to open it with Vm player app (selected from programs from the list).

If you want a icon to click on to open the GDS2 program via VM player without having to go into the folder each time, do a copy on the VM.vmx file via the right click method, go over to your desk top, do a right click paste of it there to make a short cut, do another click on the shortcut icon you just pasted into desk top, go down to rename, and just change the shortcut name to GSD2. Now when you click on the new icon named GSD2 you just made, it will open up GDS2 in the vm player.

If you want the icon in the start drop down menu, then right click on it again, and select pin to start menu (classic in my case, since I run classic shell since windows 8).

Hence you don't start the GDS2 program by clicking on VM player, but by clicking on the vm.vmx file in the program, with it desinated to be opened up via VM player instead. Note if you do the GDS2 shortcut icon, make sure that is selected to open up with VM player as well.
First and foremost, a big-time Thank You for replying. I appreciate you putting in the time to help me out.

I followed your suggestions to the letter, first removing and re-installing the VM Player app as admin, then removing the hard-drives's GDS2 directory VM files I had copied from the CD, and then re-copied those from the CD to a clean directory on the laptop.

The first time I launched the GDS2 app via the right-click on it's VMX file, almost instantly a window appeared in the VM that looked like it might be the home window for GDS2. No text on the window, just the title bars and outlines of other window controls etc - kind of like a form that hasn't been populated with data (yet).

Stayed there maybe a second or so, and then it was overlayed (or perhaps wiped out) by the XP splash screen doing it's song and dance, and then the same as I had seen before with the error message regarding Explorer.Exe, blank desktop (title bar indicates 'GM GDS2 - VMware Player' but that's the only thing in the player window other than the toolbar), no apparent activity. After a few minutes, get a message at the bottom of the window that says 'VMware Tools is not up to date. Log in to the guest operating system and click Update Tools.', clicked 'remind me later'. The hard disk icon on the tool bar appears to show some activity and then that stops as well. Then a few minutes later the standard XP Pro screen saver bouncing about. Looking at the directory, several add'l files and some apparent logs have been created.

So, a small bit of progress. I think I am closer - if I could impose further, any other suggestions? BTW, Virtualization is turned on in the BIOS.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:01 PM
Dano523
Race Director

You need to update the tools for the VM player, and would bank that its the problem at hand (needs to load the tools specific to your machine).

So load as normal, and when VM player asked to update tools, let it update tools.

If you still have problems after VM has updated the tools, then drop me a private message (click on my name to the left) with a phone number to call you back, and can get you resolved quickly instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 01-30-2018 at 05:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dano523:
Landru (02-03-2018), pickleseimer (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 09:04 AM
719c6
Instructor

Originally Posted by 719c6
Ordered 1 today from overseas. We shall see how long it takes to get here.

Getting closer - Friday delivery!

January 30, 2018 at 3:31 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
CAROL STREAM IL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Old 01-31-2018, 09:11 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

You need to update the tools for the VM player, and would bank that its the problem at hand (needs to load the tools specific to your machine).

So load as normal, and when VM player asked to update tools, let it update tools.

If you still have problems after VM has updated the tools, then drop me a private message (click on my name to the left) with a phone number to call you back, and can get you resolved quickly instead.
Thanks again for all the help. I'm back in the shop Friday and will update the VM tools then, and let you know either way how it goes.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:06 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

For you guys who have a working copy of GDS2....can you tell me if there's a connection option for a generic J2534 device? I know it's 'approved' to work with Bosch Mastertech, DrewTech Mongoose and DrewTech CarDAQ-M, but I'm curious to see if you can even try to connect to an 'unapproved' device that still meets the J2534 standard.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:35 PM
719c6
Instructor

Originally Posted by 719c6
Getting closer - Friday delivery!

January 30, 2018 at 3:31 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
CAROL STREAM IL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Arrived today. 2 weeks from China for $90.25.

Now to find some time to get everything installed.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:46 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
For you guys who have a working copy of GDS2....can you tell me if there's a connection option for a generic J2534 device? I know it's 'approved' to work with Bosch Mastertech, DrewTech Mongoose and DrewTech CarDAQ-M, but I'm curious to see if you can even try to connect to an 'unapproved' device that still meets the J2534 standard.
What device, and if I can get my hands on one, will try it out for you.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Tech 2 alternative

Old 02-01-2018, 10:35 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Tactrix OpenPort 2.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:41 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
Tactrix OpenPort 2.
https://www.tactrix.com/index.php?op...2534&Itemid=41

Should be fine with Tech2win emulator software since it uses the J2534 protocal for the nano, TIS200 since you can load in the pass through drivers as need to run a J2534 device device, but for GDS2 VM cloned software, probably not going to work, since that program is looking for a MDI/MDI2 (the nano is a MDI clone).

Hence in GDS2 cracked software, there is no option to select a J2534 device pass throu device, and the cracked version is just set to use the Nano in MDI mode.

As for a unmolested GM gds2 software (subscription software), may work, since it's loaded with different drivers so you can select and connect a J2534 device instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 02-02-2018 at 03:49 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:52 AM
719c6
Instructor

@Dano523 - Got everything up and running. I noticed the VX Manager license showed an expiration of 12/31/2020. That about right?

Last edited by 719c6; 02-02-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Quick Reply: GM Tech 2 alternative