C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With VXdiag

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 11:58 AM
Porkchopusn1
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help With VXdiag

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? I think the device is picking up the wrong ports but I can't tell. I am using a Native 32 Bit Windows 7 computer.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:10 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,012 Likes on 2,171 Posts

Make sure that you either load the needed software from the white disc using auto install, or via GM MDI first, the VX driver next.

Hence XV needs to make some changes to GM mid driver when it installed after GM has been installed first,

Next open up VX driver MDI (vx manager/allscanner), and make sure to update the licences and Firmware for the nano,''

If VX manager (allscanner is still not listing the device after the above), the go in to device manger, click on the com port device that is the Nano, go in to port settings, and change it to com port 4, which solve any problems.
The following users liked this post:
SteveJewels (05-31-2022)
Old 02-28-2019, 05:41 PM
Porkchopusn1
Intermediate

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by Dano523
Make sure that you either load the needed software from the white disc using auto install, or via GM MDI first, the VX driver next.

Hence XV needs to make some changes to GM mid driver when it installed after GM has been installed first,

Next open up VX driver MDI (vx manager/allscanner), and make sure to update the licences and Firmware for the nano,''

If VX manager (allscanner is still not listing the device after the above), the go in to device manger, click on the com port device that is the Nano, go in to port settings, and change it to com port 4, which solve any problems.
Thank you
Old 02-28-2019, 09:22 PM
Porkchopusn1
Intermediate

Default VXdiag

Originally Posted by Porkchopusn1
Thank you
Thank you for your help but it didn't work.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:26 PM
Porkchopusn1
Intermediate

Default VXdiag

Thank you Dano. It's working. The problem appeared to be in the sequence of installation. This is what worked-
1. Load the device
2. Execute MDI.exe
3. Install VXmanager
4. Execute auto install with VXmanager running.

Happy camper here. Thank you again.
The following 4 users liked this post by Porkchopusn1:
4SUMERZ (09-18-2021), Born (06-27-2022), Spike58 (03-29-2021), wideglideleon (10-27-2020)
Old 03-02-2019, 02:12 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Dude, your way just solve the Win 10 64 bit loading problem as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hence fought for a year to try to get tech2win to run on my win 10 machine, and your way has it working now.

Last edited by Dano523; 03-02-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:09 PM
Porkchopusn1
Intermediate

Default VXdiag

Dude, your way just solve the Win 10 64 bit loading problem as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hence fought for a year to try to get tech2win to run on my win 10 machine, and your way has it working now.
Thank you Dano. You are the Corvette expert I depend on. It's a true honor to have you as a friend. Jim
The following 2 users liked this post by Porkchopusn1:
4SUMERZ (09-18-2021), wideglideleon (10-27-2020)
Old 03-14-2020, 03:18 AM
Mr.Duc
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey All... I just found this thread as I can’t get mine to work. It won’t connect to car ( I have cable not WiFi ) and I can’t get the licensee to load... any idea what I’m doing wrong ?

thanks in advance
matt
Old 03-14-2020, 01:34 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mr.Duc
Hey All... I just found this thread as I can’t get mine to work. It won’t connect to car ( I have cable not WiFi ) and I can’t get the licensee to load... any idea what I’m doing wrong ?

thanks in advance
matt

Problem with WI-Fi unit, is that the Nano needs to be connected to the car so the nano has power to begin with. Also, OBDII port needs to be powered up, so on a C5, car has to be in run postion before the OBDII has power itself.

Because of that, even on the Wifi unit I have, I still use it with a cable so the laptop powers up the nano to begin with, and don't have to worry about the OBDII power instead..

Last edited by Dano523; 03-14-2020 at 01:40 PM.
wideglideleon (10-27-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 10:55 AM
bravo29
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

When you load it make sure you run the installed updates from tech2win.

You also cant use a 64bit OS system it has to to be a 32bit device. The newer units (if bought on amazon) are 32bit and cant run from a Vm image that is 32bit OS.

I had the same issue. I pulled out a old laptop and installed win10 32bit and ran the updated add-ons from tech2win.

Last edited by bravo29; 03-16-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:38 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by bravo29
When you load it make sure you run the installed updates from tech2win.

You also cant use a 64bit OS system it has to to be a 32bit device. The newer units (if bought on amazon) are 32bit and cant run from a Vm image that is 32bit OS.

I had the same issue. I pulled out a old laptop and installed win10 32bit and ran the updated add-ons from tech2win.

We already figured out how to fix that problem.

Load VX manager first, plug in the Nano, and get it working in VX manager. Hence click on firmware icon to update the firmware, then click on licence icon to install the licenses.

Now with the VX manager open and the nano plugged in, now load that auto install.exe of Tech2 win to load it from the White disc that came with the Nano to your machine. Hence the autoinstall.exe will need to over ride some VX manager files when it installs, so VX manager has to be open with the Nano connected/being seen in VX manager when you load tech2 win auto install from the disc. Installing tech2 win, with VX manager not open and the nano not plugged into the machine will end up with install problems every time with Win 64bit system.

Lastly, if you are loading in the Newer VX manager, you have to go in and install the needed programs from inside VX manager (no long load into VX manger from the white disc). So Tech2, GDS2 and SPS have to be installed from within VX manager. If you check in VX manager and these are loaded already, uninstall and reload them from VX manager again if you are having problems. When you have done these three reloads, go back in the licence tab in VX manager and make sure you are showing licences for all three of these. If not, then go back to the main page and click on the licence ion to update the licences on the refreshed installed. I bring this up, since if you are using the last right hand top tab in VX manager to download the lastest VX manager, you will have to install Tech2win/gds2/SPS from within VX manager (will still use the white disc to install Tech2win to the laptop to get the the desk top icon.

Now the glitch with A/C Delco TBS.
If you are using the older VX manager and older firmware on the Nano, when you get the screen to install the BoschTech2 win driver and GDS2 in TBS (will be a pop up screen), you want to skip these installs each time you use TBS.

If you are using the latest VX manager and latest Nano firmware, then you want to install these two Bosch drivers from TBS instead.

Trust is, for TBS now, you want to be using the lastest VX manager and firmware. When you load the two Bosch drivers, it going to to load another program that is needed to get the Nano to work (TBS changed about a year ago, and its this third driver that loads with the Bosch drivers that is needed to get the Nano to work with the system.

Born (06-27-2022)
Old 09-02-2020, 05:54 PM
Swad
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to dig this up, I know this thread is older. Can anyone verify if it's possible to run this all in a virtual machine? I have tried Windows XP, 7 and 10 (all 32-bit) virtual machines and have tried many different install orders, but can't get this to work through to the end. I'm wondering if it's related to the MDI installer. The one I have on my white disk (which is MDI.exe as the filename) will not install. It fails with some errors with the file and I'm starting to strongly believe that something is wrong with the actual MDI.exe installer that I got on my disk. I've tried all sorts of different tricks and other machines to test it, but it's always failing. I did run across a MSI version of the installer for the same version (8.3.103.26) which installed fine, but I don't know if it works correctly with the rest of the software.

Also, I am using a newer VX Manager than what is on the CD, 1.8.0.0819. I am also just installing the Tech2Win piece and not GDS2 as I have a 2008 base model Corvette, so don't need the newer GDS2 software. In VX Manager I have no problem connecting to the VCX Nano and updating the firmware / downloading the license. My issue is that I cannot connect to the car after I have it in run mode. I get the same error in Tech2Win as the first screenshot in this thread. I also never have any "Select Vehicle Communication Interface" window pop up at any point when trying to start up Tech2Win. At this point, I don't know what else to do. I've tried every imaginable install order and various versions of the software that I can imagine. I'm hoping it may just have something to do with trying to do this with a virtual machine or some issue with me needing to install using the MDI.exe installer (which I have a bad copy of). Any help would be appreciated. If it helps, I work as an IT systems engineer, so I work IT day in and day out, don't have an issue getting into the deep tech sides of this.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:53 AM
bravo29
Burning Brakes

The version I bought this year no matter what I couldn't get to work through Vmware. I even called Vmware support ( i am in IT) and they couldn't get it to work. VCX nano support even sent back an email to me stating it no longer works through vmware. On the amazon page it stated no longer works on vmware. I had to bust out a older laptop and install win 10 32bit. Works like a charm now..

I only did this as my hand held screen cracked. To repair it was $200 shipped. I spent $75 as i had a $25 amazon coupon.

Last edited by bravo29; 09-03-2020 at 10:54 AM.
Geoffrey Symons (03-30-2024)
Old 09-04-2020, 01:59 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by bravo29
The version I bought this year no matter what I couldn't get to work through Vmware. I even called Vmware support ( i am in IT) and they couldn't get it to work. VCX nano support even sent back an email to me stating it no longer works through vmware. On the amazon page it stated no longer works on vmware. I had to bust out a older laptop and install win 10 32bit. Works like a charm now..

I only did this as my hand held screen cracked. To repair it was $200 shipped. I spent $75 as i had a $25 amazon coupon.
Problem is the VX drivers need to be loaded in the base OS system, so they can be handed off to VM in the end. I still have a copy of VM manage that will load the needed drivers all the way back to XP as the main OS since I still use these drivers in VM for XP shells (with the latest VX manager in the main OS)..

As for the latest XP manager from about a year ago forward, will not load in XP on main OS, so it only works for win 7 upwards. Hell, may be to the point now that the current VX manager (what is being send out on the current white disc) only work with win 10 by now.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:35 PM
bravo29
Burning Brakes

Problem is the VX drivers need to be loaded in the base OS system, so they can be handed off to VM in the end. I still have a copy of VM manage that will load the needed drivers all the way back to XP as the main OS since I still use these drivers in VM for XP shells (with the latest VX manager in the main OS)..

As for the latest XP manager from about a year ago forward, will not load in XP on main OS, so it only works for win 7 upwards. Hell, may be to the point now that the current VX manager (what is being send out on the current white disc) only work with win 10 by now.
I tried that using vmware virtual desktop and for the life of me we couldn't get it to work. Thats why I said screw it and just got a decent laptop out of inventory and loaded win 10 32bit on it. Once I did that everything worked no issue. The several emails I got back from manufacturer all kept saying the version they sell now wont work on vmware or virtual desktops. Thank god for old recycled laptops lol.
Old 09-07-2020, 02:58 PM
Swad
Advanced

I'm still having no luck and I managed to get ahold of a laptop that I was able to load Windows 10 32-bit onto. I'm wondering if it's something to do with the MDI.exe that came on my CD. It will not install at all for me no matter what I do. It fails to extract when running the .exe and I can't even grab and use the files that it tries to extract into my temp directory. Did your MDI.exe install correctly from your CD? I wound up grabbing an MSI version from the download called "VXDIAG GM Tech2Win16.02.24" at this link:

https://www.vxdiagshop.com/info/vxdi...load-4048.html

That archive includes an MSI installer with the same version number (8.3.103.26) which installs fine, but I don't know if it's missing something that the .exe version on the CD has (maybe cracked on the CD? not sure...). Is there any possibility I can compare installers with one of you to see if maybe mine has something wrong with it? Have any of you tried the latest VX Manager, version 1.8.0.0819, or you using an older version (my CD came with 1.5.xxxx).

Maybe this is a piece that I am missing. Does the car need to actually be started up and running, or can it just be in the run position for proper communications (after holding ACC for 5-6 seconds until it goes into run mode)?
Old 09-07-2020, 07:04 PM
Swad
Advanced

Ok, I finally got things working. I dug around quite a bit on the web and found an exact version of the MDI.exe that was included on the white disk that actually works. I'm not entirely sure why a good and working version is not provided on vxdiagshop for download, but whatever. With a good MDI installer (which the MSI version that I found wasn't adequate that I mentioned above), the Tech2Win properly connects up and provides the prompt to choose which MDI communication interface to choose (wasn't getting this before) when starting before loading up. It looks like I'm in business now and can do what I need to in order to do an F55 delete.

Get notified of new replies

To Help With VXdiag

Old 09-07-2020, 07:25 PM
Chris_G
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Swad
Ok, I finally got things working. I dug around quite a bit on the web and found an exact version of the MDI.exe that was included on the white disk that actually works. I'm not entirely sure why a good and working version is not provided on vxdiagshop for download, but whatever. With a good MDI installer (which the MSI version that I found wasn't adequate that I mentioned above), the Tech2Win properly connects up and provides the prompt to choose which MDI communication interface to choose (wasn't getting this before) when starting before loading up. It looks like I'm in business now and can do what I need to in order to do an F55 delete.
If you decide to create an all inclusive CD of the VXDIAG software that works I would be interested.
Seadawg (03-12-2024)
Old 09-10-2020, 01:30 PM
Swad
Advanced

Let me see what I can get together, but it would just include the pieces for Tech2Win and nothing for the newer stuff. The files for GDS2 on the CD trigger anti-virus, though it may be false positives due to being cracked. I didn't install it due to just needing Tech2W.

Last edited by Swad; 09-10-2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:54 AM
Leigh Williams
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also really keen to know what versions you used to get this working. I have downloaded a few and followed the installation order specified above trying different versions without any success as yet. Any help appreciated.

I can see the nano in the vx manager, but cant connect to the car. I think maybe its something to do with drivers or driver versions, or maybe software versions? At least if I knew I had the correct versions that would work together would be a great start. Thanks.

Last edited by Leigh Williams; 10-09-2020 at 01:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Help With VXdiag