C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With VXdiag

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 03:54 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,029 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh Williams
Also really keen to know what versions you used to get this working. I have downloaded a few and followed the installation order specified above trying different versions without any success as yet. Any help appreciated.

I can see the nano in the vx manager, but cant connect to the car. I think maybe its something to do with drivers or driver versions, or maybe software versions? At least if I knew I had the correct versions that would work together would be a great start. Thanks.

Click on my name to the left and send me a PM with your real name and phone number, and I should be able to walk you through getting the Nano to work.

Hence the problem I seeing trying to crack the Bosch GM software, is that it looking for a real a Tech II, with active account in TDS, and that's the glitch.

So with cracked Tech2win, it cracks the Serial number bit, it cracks the active account bit, and also cracks the software to use the XV MDI driver, not the Bosch driver.
As for GDS2, same with the driver bit and others, but what happens is it works in standby mode, so it does not connect to GM to double check to see of the subscription is active or not.

Last edited by Dano523; 10-09-2020 at 03:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dano523:
Humanrubikscube (09-20-2021), Seadawg (03-12-2024)
Old 10-09-2020, 04:51 AM
Leigh Williams
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks heaps for the offer. I think I might have sorted it. Needed 1.8.XX (I think) version of VX Manager. Now I get the usb driver to choose from, which I havent had before. I will give it a try in the morning.as its late here. I am in New Zealand so probably tricky to call - could do whatsapp maybe. Fingers crossed its working anyway. Will report back..

Last edited by Leigh Williams; 10-09-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 02:29 PM
Leigh Williams
4th Gear

All good - got it working. Needed the new version of vx manager. These are the versions that worked for me...

Tech2Win 16.02.24 (also using MDI.msi from this package)
VX Manager 1.8.1.0922

My car is 99, so I only needed Tech2 working. Have not tried anything else.

Last edited by Leigh Williams; 10-09-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:22 AM
Dave_in_VA
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Total Failure Installing Tech2 SW

Originally Posted by Porkchopusn1
Thank you Dano. It's working. The problem appeared to be in the sequence of installation. This is what worked-
1. Load the device
2. Execute MDI.exe
3. Install VXmanager
4. Execute auto install with VXmanager running.

Happy camper here. Thank you again.
Dano/All,

I bought the recommended wired Tech2 off of Amazon.

Step 1 - Load the Device
Question, does that mean connect the VCXNANO device via the USB cable? I assume yes.

Step 2 - Execute MDI
When I go to the following folder I find MDI.exe
D:\Tech2Win

I also tried running the auto install routine and my anti-virus software deleted a trojan file.

FYI, I'm running a Win10 64bit laptop.

Anybody got any ideas how I can proceed?

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited by Dave_in_VA; 10-18-2020 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:44 AM
Dave_in_VA
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Swad
Ok, I finally got things working. I dug around quite a bit on the web and found an exact version of the MDI.exe that was included on the white disk that actually works. I'm not entirely sure why a good and working version is not provided on vxdiagshop for download, but whatever. With a good MDI installer (which the MSI version that I found wasn't adequate that I mentioned above), the Tech2Win properly connects up and provides the prompt to choose which MDI communication interface to choose (wasn't getting this before) when starting before loading up. It looks like I'm in business now and can do what I need to in order to do an F55 delete.
Swad, Not sure if you create a package of the necessary files, but if you did it would be very cool to get a copy. Dave
Old 10-18-2020, 07:38 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Dave, send me an PM (click on my name) with your phone number and I can give you a call to talk you through it.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:44 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Just a FYI, but the autoinstall.exe will install all the needed software for the nano.
Hence MDI from that install in not going to work, since the Nano uses a different set of drivers.

As for making MDI and it select menu work as Swad point out, only need for the MDI clone that looks like this,

But with that clone, whole different story trying to get cracked Tech2win to work with it, since the cracked tech2win is really looking for the Nano instead.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:22 PM
Dave_in_VA
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Props To Dano

All, many already know this, but Dano523 is one of the coolest and dedicated members on the C6 boards.

Dano's insight and guidance assisting me with both my Win10 Tech2 install and debugging my highly modded '05 and its buggy electrical issues was profoundly appreciated.

Dano, thank you. Dave
The following users liked this post:
Born (06-27-2022)
Old 10-21-2020, 04:51 AM
Chris_G
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Dave_in_VA
All, many already know this, but Dano523 is one of the coolest and dedicated members on the C6 boards.

Dano's insight and guidance assisting me with both my Win10 Tech2 install and debugging my highly modded '05 and its buggy electrical issues was profoundly appreciated.

Dano, thank you. Dave
I would agree
Old 10-21-2020, 12:19 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave_in_VA

Dano, thank you. Dave
Originally Posted by XFIRED
I would agree
Agree!
Old 09-18-2021, 05:31 PM
Humanrubikscube
1st Gear

Anyone still around??? My head is swollen from ******* it for days to get my vcx se to work. The usual culprit... Tech2Win is not picking up the my vxdiag device. Meaning I do not get the pop up to select MDI. Yes. Ive done everything mentioned under this post. Maybe if I can find or someone share the mdi.exe file. I only have an mdi.msi file. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:49 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,331 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by Humanrubikscube
Anyone still around??? My head is swollen from ******* it for days to get my vcx se to work. The usual culprit... Tech2Win is not picking up the my vxdiag device. Meaning I do not get the pop up to select MDI. Yes. Ive done everything mentioned under this post. Maybe if I can find or someone share the mdi.exe file. I only have an mdi.msi file. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum. See if you can send a PM to Dano523. He is the resident expert on this, and most other C6 issues. Click on his usernsme, and send him a message.
Good Luck

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 09-18-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:55 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Ditto, send me a PM with a phone number to call you back, and most of the time, will have you squared away with a few mins since it really just a matter of loading the software in the correct order and method, and preventing windows defender from deleting false positives files during the install.

Worst case if the White DVD that came with the Nano is corupted, may have to download some software that I can link to make life simple as well.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:57 PM
kpowersjr
5th Gear

Hey guys, hate for my first post to be bringing up an old post, but I am having trouble with my Nano. Specifically in trying to get Tech2Win to operate properly. Now let me first of all say I am not very versed in the lingo of all this so I'm flying by the seat of my pants lol. I have updated vx manager, firmware, all licenses, and the passthru driver. However, every time I have tried to install the software using the autoinstall files, I get two specific error messages. One saying MDI file is already installed. The other says something about a tech2win file not being present/found. Once I open tech2win, I receive the message that my license is either expired or non existent and it wants me to do an update. I cleared this, then I get the dialog box to select which mdi I am using. After I select the correct one, I get another error box saying it cannot find the mdi I selected and that it may not be connected correctly and that vehicle connectivity is disabled. It does not ask me to select the usb option in a second dialog box like it should. It goes straight to the tech2 graphic screen but says across the bottom that my software needs updated, with a software version of 15.100. I received a usb stick with all of my software but after using that a couple times it is as though it has been erased. It only tells me I need to format the drive before I can us it now. Any help is appreciated!

Dano523, I tried to PM you but cannot since I am new. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2022, 08:29 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Install VX manager, then go click on the VX manager license and firmware icons to install/update them so the Nano is showing up in VX manger and working.

Next, Install Tech2win using the auto.exe install with VX manager open and the VX nano attached to the machine, and watch for defenders to block something during the installs. If defenders blocks, the go into defender to allow the needed file to run, then go back and re run autoinstall again for tech2 win..

Now go into VX manger, click on the top diagnostic tab, automative tab left hand side, and install Passthru, GM gds2/tech2w, SM RDS one at time.
Note, if you update VX manager, after the update, liscence and firmware updates, go back and uninstall and reinstall these three again (don't just use the update button).
Note, will get that a few items have already been installed during the above steps, so just click and allow the installs to continue as needed.

Now at this point, do a restart of the entire laptop, and should have your problems solved.

As for tech2win, delete the quick start tech2win on the desktop since your never going to use it, and once you click the normal tech2win icon, select North America in the first screen, MDI1 in the second screen, then usb device in the third screen. If you do not get the third screen USB device with the nano connected, it because when you first went to install Tech2win on the machine, VX manger was not open with the Nano connectors, so the auto install could over write a few files needed in VX manager to make the software work. So start from the above steps with VX manager open and the VX connected to the machine, and nana showing up in VX manager.

As for once you are into Tech2win , pretty straight forward for the most part, and the Vet is a Y body type.
For 2005 vet, use that year for all modules, while if you need to get to the BCM setting for a 2006 to 2013 Vet, use the 2013 year alone (the rest of the modules you can just use the car actual year isntead).
The following 2 users liked this post by Dano523:
Born (06-27-2022), kpowersjr (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 08:36 AM
kpowersjr
5th Gear

Thanks for the response, Dano. I actually uninstalled everything and went thru the install process listed elsewhere in this thread and it worked. I'm actually working on a 2004 CTS-V. I'm updating the keys and fobs to the vw- style flip keys. I'm sure I'll use it for some other things as well 😆. Thanks again for the info!
Old 01-17-2022, 03:36 PM
FullSendRacing
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What operating system were you using to get this to work?

Grabbed a nano a few weeks ago, but the only machine I have handy is a windows 10 pro 64-bit machine. While installing this stuff from the provided USB drive I had Windows Defender going off left and right. It seems sketchy that they tell you to disable virus blockers to install so I kinda lost my appetite to keep toying with this... would love to hear how you've managed this or if there are 'clean' install files hosted somewhere.

Get notified of new replies

To Help With VXdiag

Old 01-17-2022, 05:33 PM
kpowersjr
5th Gear

I was using the same system as you. I had to disable Defender. The reason it tells you to do that is because one of the files the VX Manager installs. I decided it was worth risking lol.
Besides that, I installed the files from the vxdiag site in the order someone posted on here. When I tried to download from the usb drive it came with, I kept getting an error of an mdi file not being found. But by downloading from their site in the order posted here, everything worked perfect. Just make sure vx manager is updated, as well as the firmware and licenses and its open and running before opening tech2win.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:36 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Don't need to disable Defender, but once you get the defender pop up installing VX manager, click the defender'ss pop up to allow the need false positive file to load through defenders, then reinstall VX manager again once the file is allowed to run through Defender.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:13 PM
kpowersjr
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Dano523
Don't need to disable Defender, but once you get the defender pop up installing VX manager, click the defender'ss pop up to allow the need false positive file to load through defenders, then reinstall VX manager again once the file is allowed to run through Defender.
that'll work, too! 😆

Quick Reply: Help With VXdiag