C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Tech 2 alternative

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 10:51 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Old 01-05-2018, 01:02 PM
twowheeltech
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 01-05-2018, 01:22 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I am impressed so far....This is the WIFI version using usb cable

Last edited by XX; 01-05-2018 at 02:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by XX:
bgspot (01-05-2018), salt6 (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 05:15 PM
719c6
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 01-05-2018, 06:36 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

mikeCsix (09-09-2018), xLDBx (07-18-2021)
Old 01-05-2018, 06:42 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

I have a BCM ordered and should be here Monday, I will take a video showing installing a new BCM using this nano. Either it will work or it will not.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:34 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Old 01-05-2018, 08:00 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Old 01-06-2018, 12:29 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Just a update since I receiver the unit, and running into all kinds of problems getting it working with my 64Bit machine running win 10 pro.

It will load win2tech (emulator.exe]to get me to the screen to select north America, you go to select north american, but it's not starting T2Configurator.exe (the two screens before Tech2win actual starts) and instead just giving me a error that is can not find the MDI device. The same is happening in vm with GDS2, hence not shaking with the nano as well. And yes have installed and unistalled the software a hand full of times to see if it was just a bad software loading problem.

On a 32bit machine running win 7, tech2 seems to be working since I just did a quick check on the car with it, But still trying to skin the cat to get the Nano to work on my 64bit machine. Not sure of the problem completely (still sorting through logs), and still not sure if its a 64bit problem, a driver problem, or the fact that I have other software on the machine that may be throwing a wrench into the works instead.

But will state that having to drag a laptop into the car for the little I did with the win7 32 bit machine, verses just using a Tech II, the tech II is a lot easy to use when you are in the car and behind the steering wheel isntead.

Problem solved and load the software in the following order on a win 10 64 bit machine,

Originally Posted by Porkchopusn1
Thank you Dano. It's working. The problem appeared to be in the sequence of installation. This is what worked-
1. Load the device
2. Execute MDI.exe
3. Install VXmanager
4. Execute auto install with VXmanager running.

Happy camper here. Thank you again.

Last edited by Dano523; 03-02-2019 at 02:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mikeCsix (09-09-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 04:38 PM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

What about a Candi Module for later cars?
Old 01-06-2018, 05:22 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by corvette95
What about a Candi Module for later cars?
From my research the vxdiag vcx compared to the GM MDI 2 that dealerships are using today perform in the same way. Using GDS2 on the newer models and tech2win for the earlier ones. Research showed that the Clone GM MDI 2 was basically a vcx nano housed in a GM MID 2 case at a higher price. You get both GDS2 & Tech2win software and I have browsed the GDS2 software but I do not have a vehicle to test it on.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:35 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Oh and I would like to add that having a Clone Tech 2 shut down and not power up again that was purchased a few months ago wasn't a good feeling. So I was looking for a replacement and had thought about buying the Clone GM MDI 2 till I read about the vcx nano housed in a GM MID 2 case. The vxdiag vcx nano should perform like a GM MDI, it's priced lower than the Clone Tech 2 & Clone GM MDI 2 so to me this is a good buy so far.

Last edited by XX; 01-07-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:38 AM
Dano523
Race Director

OK the good, the bad and the ugly.

First off, its the 2014 vets and later that will use the GDS 2 software.
On the 2013 and older vets, they use the Tech II, and TIS2000 software isntead.

So being that this the C6 forum, lets just focus on the C6 corvette and the gm nano.

Out the gate the Nano is a cloned copy of the MDI to a degree (not the much faster mdi 2). This means that as it using Tech2 win emulator software to work with the MDI software since the MDI software does not pick the nano up natively isntead.

Now the bad,
As for the only thing that you can't do with the tech2win emulator software, is can not do any perimeter changes to ECM (it can still be read, but no changes made to the ECM programming). The BCM and the rest of the other modules, not a problem getting access and changes to them.

So let really get down to the meat of it, and since you can get BCM and the other module change access, getting deep into the BCM to deactivate F55 is not a problem as well as changing out the RPO codes on the BCM as well. also, all the special features needed like ABS pump cycle , relearn for radio, fob programming and such for the other not ECM module, just like a tech II and clone as well.

Now the ugly, since again, you need to use TIS2000 to flash such items like firmware, and some cases, ECM programming as well, here is the glitch, since not only does the Nano not come with a working copy of TIS2000, not sure it will work with as well.

Here is the reason why I think this. When you first start the tech2win emulator software, you will get a pop up screen first select if you are using a MDI or MDI2 , then a second screw will pop up to select the Nano device. Once the Nano has been selected, the tech2win emulator sofware sees and uses the the nano as a MDI device. When I tried to use my copy of TIS2000 to drive threw the nano, did not get the pop up screens to select the nano device and was unable to connect the Nano to Tis2000.
Note, have Tis2000 on my win 10 64 bit machine, and was not able to get Tech2win emulator software to work with that machine (will not give me the device pop up screen to select the nano after Tech2win starts). Instead, I have to install the Tech2win software on a win 7 32 bit machine to get it to work and do testing and not a VM copy of TiS200 on it isntead.

So the fact that the nano GM device does not come with Gm TIS2000, Not really sure if it going to work with Tis2000 to start with.
Again, maybe its my win 10 64 bit machine, but when opened TIS2000, it looking for an actual Tech II, and which does not giving me the option of selecting the the Nano device as well. Hence the two screens that pop up to select the device are part of Tech2win emulator software, so when you open up Tis2000, it not opening up that software to being with. Hence the reason that I beleive is the nano is going to work with TIS200, then someone is going to have to crack that software as well to work with the nano device.

So, for someone that will wrench on the C6 ,and needs a Tech II for anything else than changing ecm peramiters or flashing in firmware, the nano with it Tech2win emulateur software is very good tool for that (if you have a machine that it will load on, since again, will not work on my win 10 64 bit machine). But, and here is the huge one, unless Vxdiag has a way for Tis2000 to select the nano to work with Tis2000 (again, was not getting the pop up screens to select the device to work with the Nano), then don't see if working with TIS2000 instead.

So, do I think the nano and the software you get with it as good as than the Tech II clone, No. The tech II clone come with level access to do ECM peramiter changes, and also a working cracked copy of TIS2000 as well. Hence with saved firmware files for your car, you can reflash modules at will.

So the niche for the nano GM is really for someone that the dealer may gouge for say a radio relearn, adding in a XM channel to a radio, having to delete F55 module, and the other items that a Tech II comes in handy for, as well the needed information to pull up codes in say the BCM. It also a good tool to pull modules information and testing when you are wrenching on the car as well

If you need to do the extra step and get into the ECM parameter changes or even have to reflash firmware, then you really need a hand held Tech II or clone and its TIS2000 software that comes with it instead.

Now to touch on Gds2 software since it does come with it, and will be handy for other GM cars that you may have as well. Hence what GM car models/years that you use a tech2 win/ Tech 2 with Tis2000 as the pass through or gds2 software instead, the below link has a good chart.

http://www.genuinegmparts.com/pdf/po...-reference.pdf

Last edited by Dano523; 01-07-2018 at 05:47 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Dano523:
BLUZ51 (07-14-2019), dar322 (03-29-2021), fred_S (08-23-2018), jft69z (01-07-2018), mikeCsix (01-08-2018), mister2 (02-02-2021), No_Rotors (10-11-2022), Null Pointer (01-07-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-07-2018, 09:36 AM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Dano523
OK the good, the bad and the ugly.

First off, its the 2014 vets and later that will use the GDS 2 software.
On the 2013 and older vets, they use the Tech II, and TIS2000 software isntead.

So being that this the C6 forum, lets just focus on the C6 corvette and the gm nano.

Out the gate the Nano is a cloned copy of the MDI to a degree (not the much faster mdi 2). This means that as it using Tech2 win emulator software to work with the MDI software since the MDI software does not pick the nano up natively isntead.

Now the bad,
As for the only thing that you can't do with the tech2win emulator software, is can not do any perimeter changes to ECM (it can still be read, but no changes made to the ECM programming). The BCM and the rest of the other modules, not a problem getting access and changes to them.

So let really get down to the meat of it, and since you can get BCM and the other module change access, getting deep into the BCM to deactivate F55 is not a problem as well as changing out the RPO codes on the BCM as well. also, all the special features needed like ABS pump cycle , relearn for radio, fob programming and such for the other not ECM module, just like a tech II and clone as well.

Now the ugly, since again, you need to use TIS2000 to flash such items like firmware, and some cases, ECM programming as well, here is the glitch, since not only does the Nano not come with a working copy of TIS2000, not sure it will work with as well.

Here is the reason why I think this. When you first start the tech2win emulator software, you will get a pop up screen first select if you are using a MDI or MDI2 , then a second screw will pop up to select the Nano device. Once the Nano has been selected, the tech2win emulator sofware sees and uses the the nano as a MDI device. When I tried to use my copy of TIS2000 to drive threw the nano, did not get the pop up screens to select the nano device and was unable to connect the Nano to Tis2000.
Note, have Tis2000 on my win 10 64 bit machine, and was not able to get Tech2win emulator software to work with that machine (will not give me the device pop up screen to select the nano after Tech2win starts). Instead, I have to install the Tech2win software on a win 7 32 bit machine to get it to work and do testing and not a VM copy of TiS200 on it isntead.

So the fact that the nano GM device does not come with Gm TIS2000, Not really sure if it going to work with Tis2000 to start with.
Again, maybe its my win 10 64 bit machine, but when opened TIS2000, it looking for an actual Tech II, and which does not giving me the option of selecting the the Nano device as well. Hence the two screens that pop up to select the device are part of Tech2win emulator software, so when you open up Tis2000, it not opening up that software to being with. Hence the reason that I beleive is the nano is going to work with TIS200, then someone is going to have to crack that software as well to work with the nano device.

So, for someone that will wrench on the C6 ,and needs a Tech II for anything else than changing ecm peramiters or flashing in firmware, the nano with it Tech2win emulateur software is very good tool for that (if you have a machine that it will load on, since again, will not work on my win 10 64 bit machine). But, and here is the huge one, unless Vxdiag has a way for Tis2000 to select the nano to work with Tis2000 (again, was not getting the pop up screens to select the device to work with the Nano), then don't see if working with TIS2000 instead.

So, do I think the nano and the software you get with it as good as than the Tech II clone, No. The tech II clone come with level access to do ECM peramiter changes, and also a working cracked copy of TIS2000 as well. Hence with saved firmware files for your car, you can reflash modules at will.

So the niche for the nano GM is really for someone that the dealer may gouge for say a radio relearn, adding in a XM channel to a radio, having to delete F55 module, and the other items that a Tech II comes in handy for, as well the needed information to pull up codes in say the BCM. It also a good tool to pull modules information and testing when you are wrenching on the car as well

If you need to do the extra step and get into the ECM parameter changes or even have to reflash firmware, then you really need a hand held Tech II or clone and its TIS2000 software that comes with it instead.

Now to touch on Gds2 software since it does come with it, and will be handy for other GM cars that you may have as well. Hence what GM car models/years that you use a tech2 win/ Tech 2 with Tis2000 as the pass through or gds2 software instead, the below link has a good chart.

http://www.genuinegmparts.com/pdf/po...-reference.pdf
Correct me if I am wrong but using the nano (J2534) with a AC Delco SPS for programming you would be using TIS2Web. You can also visit here on AC Delco website and enter your vin for a list of modules programmable with a SPS subscription.

Last edited by XX; 01-07-2018 at 06:29 PM.
mikeCsix (01-09-2018), Null Pointer (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 06:55 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by bad1968ss
Correct me if I am wrong but using the nano (J2534) with a AC Delco SPS for programming you would be using TIS2Web. You can also visit here on AC Delco website and enter your vin for a list of modules programmable with a SPS subscription.

The part you are missing, is this is Tis2000 running (to get you to SDS menu), and it has to be given a software patch to allow the Nano to be included on the list of items to be selected.

So if the GM nano came with this patched TIS200 software, then all would be good with the world.

Hence tis200 is loaded in a XP machine to begin with (VM for cracked software), and the fact that the the Gm Nano comes with a VM player to load GDS2 into to run it in XM mode, do not know why TIS200 patch was not included with the disco to load that into the shell as well.
https://www.avtotools.com/pd_info/ti...l/inst_ENU.htm

As stated, I have Cracked tis2000 running in VM on my win 10 64 bit machine to run it with my techII clone and when I tried to run it with the Nano, it was not giving me the option to use it with the GM nano instead.

My suggestion since you are able to run Tech2win on your 64 bit machine (which will not run on my 64 bit machine), that you load a Cracked version of TiS200O on your machine (can be added to the VM XP shell that GDS2 is running in), and see if your machine can load the GM nano to use it instead.

Also to point out, when running a Tech II clone with the correct usb cable to serial cable when you don't have a serial port on the machine, you have to load this driver in as well.
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...9F32B3FC658532

Last edited by Dano523; 01-07-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Null Pointer (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 11:01 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

https://digimasterblog.wordpress.com...2000-tech2win/

VXDIAG VCX NANO GM + TIS2000:

IT works!! ok for anyone trying to use the VXDIAG GM nano with SPS this is what you need to do (order is important):

*** please note you cannot use the VM that the VXDIAG package comes with (GDS2 VM). It’s configured in such a way it won’t work with the dongle crack and caused me a lot of head scratching to find this out.

1. Create a windows XP 32bit VM using VMWare Player
2. Make sure you add an LPT port (set to auto, not connected on startup). It doesn’t matter if your actual PC has an LPT port or not this is needed for the dongle crack later.
3. Install VMWare tools for your VM
4. After you have the windows VM up and running install the BOSH MDI drivers found here: http://www.boschdiagnostics.com/pro/soft…-and-mdi-2(the MDI drivers on the driver disk and vxmanager installer wouldn’t install on my xp 32bit VM but the one from bosh does).
5.From the driver disk or from allscanner.com install the VXDIAG MDI package with pass thru driver (VXDIAG MDI manager or VXDIAG Manager)

Download tis_data_1.iso, tis_data_2.iso, GM-NAO-TIS200-3_2008.iso, TIS2000DongleCrack.rar from this: http://auto-professionals.co/?dl=584...6ef7(password: mhhauto) or buy a tested TIS2000 crack such as http://www.chinacardiags.com/wholesa...model-706.html and the like

6. (files / instructions in the updated.txt you may need to click the link more than once if you get an error when downloading)
7. Mount the tis_data_1.iso in your VM (use the virtual cdrom in vmware player and attach to iso file) this will start the auto install of the TIS2000 2007.3 software)
8. All options can be installed using the default selections however make sure you check the install checkbox above the parallel security device on the one screen.
9. After installation is complete you can extract the TIS2000DongleCrack.rar and copy the folder to the desktop of your VM
10. Go into the TIS2000DongleCrack folder locate the drivers folder and open it, run the DDINST32.EXE (if you get a registry error you didn’t install an LPT port in your VM), select Express and it should install the files then click ok / Exit to close.
11. Go back to the main TIS2000DongleCrack folder and copy SCAControlUI.exe and Id.dll to c:\Program Files\cosids\bin\ (it will prompt to replace id.dll select yes).
12. Go back to the main TIS2000DongleCrack folder into the Dongle folder and copy the 2 files in there to c:\windows\system32\ (the dongle crack is now installed)
13. Now mount the tis_data_2.iso in your VM (use the virtual cdrom in vmware player and attach to iso file) and open TIS2000 (double click the icon on your desktop) when TIS opens it will ask you if you want to upgrade click yes.
14. After the upgrade completes mount the GM-NAO-TIS200-3_2008.iso in your VM (use the virtual cdrom in vmware player and attach to iso file) and open TIS2000 (double click the icon on your desktop) when TIS opens it will ask you if you want to upgrade click yes.
15. After the upgrade completes you have successfully installed TIS2000 2008.3 and the Dongle crack, now we need to configure TIS to use the VXDIAG GM nano
16. Open TIS2000 from the icon on your desktop, select Configuration menu from the top and select IO Management.
17. Click the Driver button, click the Browse button, locate the j2534.dll file in the window and click open (installs the J2534 Pass Thru Driver)
18. Now click the Add button (in IO management) enter exacly “Generic Pass Thru” in Logical Name and select “J2534 Pass Thru Driver” in the Driver drop down, click OK.
19. Select Generic Pass Thru in the list and click Properties, in the Device Name drop down select VXDIAG, (ALLScanner) and click ok then click close to close IO Management.

Now TIS2000 software is installed and configured all you have to do is connect your VXDIAG device to the PC / VM. To do this first use a usb and connect it to the PC then in the VMWare player menu go in removable devices and connect the Future Devices USB to serial converter. At this step my windows install didn’t have the basic usb to serial drivers so I connected the VM to the network (if not connected use the VMWare player menu to connect the network) and windows downloaded them from the net and installed the device as com3. you are now good to go.

At this point you can now click on SPS in TIS2000 select Generic Pass Thru as your device and your good to program!!

Satisfied, VXDIAG VCX NANO GM device works as a clone to the GM MDI.

Credits to wizzardsl writing for the how-to’s for us.
The following 4 users liked this post by XX:
bgspot (01-08-2018), fred_S (08-23-2018), mikeCsix (01-09-2018), myfunz (03-31-2023)
Old 01-07-2018, 11:15 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

So it sounds like the Nano is not an option for us novice users...? Seems like a very difficult process.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Tech 2 alternative

Old 01-07-2018, 11:22 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Yep, I set up both GlobalTis and Tis2000 in a new xp machine to get it working with the gm nano following the same thread.

So if one is tech savvy, gm nano is not a bad deal, since it also comes with GDS2 as well to work on newer cars.

The downfall, unless you have everything loads on say a small tablet wit touch screen, then most laptops are too bulky to be used while you are in the car instead.

Plus, still have not figured out the problem of why the Tech2win software is not working on my machine, and still running it, and all the other software on a older 32bit windows machine instead.

So I still giving the tech II clone the better thumbs up for working on the C6, since its a perfect size when you are in the car, plus the TIS200 software that comes with it, it one click loading from the disc instead.

To add, when you are doing the above to VM into SD, once you have the VXDiag manager program installed in 4, make sure open the manager program, update your license key, then down load both the apt programs so it will install the needed XCDIAG scanner select in step 19. Hence if all you get with the "generic Pass Thru diver is just MDI and MDI2 only, then you can need to cancel back out of Tis2000, go into the VC manager program, update your license on the nano, then install both the pass through and GM/GDS2 program from that same screen. Once you have done such, then you can go back into Tis2000, go to IO, select Generic pass thru, and now you would have the XVDIAD scanner under the mdi and mdi2 selections to select.

Also, the SDS program in Tis2000 is the only one that will work the Nano in pass through mode. The rest are for a Tech II hand unit that your not using instead.

So tech2win running native with any luck on a Win 64bit machine ( may have better luck with an AMD machine, since I gave up trying on an intel 7 machine, and just running that on a win 7 machine Next you run GDS2 in a VM machine using the two file you have, the another vm machine running a full version XP, with the the above way to set up Tis200. And no, you can't install tech2win on the full XP VM machine, since it want to run in Win 7 32bit instead.

And just a FYI, to try to pull off the two VM version in Win 7 running in the free virtal PC you can download from MS , if you used to the speed of the new win 10 machines (SSD drive and more power/memory that you can really use short of gaming), VM'g on an older 7 32 bit machine with a M processor, its brutally slow to say the least.

Last edited by Dano523; 01-08-2018 at 12:13 PM.
mikeCsix (01-09-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 11:30 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Dano523
Yep, I set up both GlobalTis and Tis2000 in a new xp machine to get it working with the gm nano following the same thread.

So if one is tech savvy, gm nano is not a bad deal, since it also comes with GDS2 as well to work on newer cars.

The downfall, unless you have everything loads on say a small tablet wit touch screen, then most laptops are too bulky to be used while you are in the car instead.

Plus, still have not figured out the problem of why the Tech2win software is not working on my machine, and still running it, and all the other software on a older 32bit windows machine instead.

So I still giving the tech II clone the better thumbs up for working on the C6, since its a perfect size when you are in the car, plus the TIS200 software that comes with it, it one click loading from the disc instead.
I loaded back windows 7 32bit on mines. I agree the tech 2 clone is better in size and loading, if mines wouldn't have died I wouldn't be giving this a try. I did order a replacement dc converter to try and repair it.

Last edited by XX; 01-07-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:16 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by bad1968ss
I loaded back windows 7 32bit on mines. I agree the tech 2 clone is better in size and loading, if mines wouldn't have died I wouldn't be giving this a try. I did order a replacement dc converter to try and repair it.

Don't feel bad, since I pulled my clone apart to just take a look at the solder joints to clean them up when I first got it so they would not cause problems, saw the cheap knock off DC to DC converter then, and have a back up to replace mine when it goes bad as well.

If nothing else, when you go auto bleed the brakes, you don't have the huge gm Nano hanging down that you have to sneak your foot under it as you cycle the ADS pump and ride the brake pedal. Hence going to be a bitch to do driving data runs with the nano plugged in, since it hangs down so low and really gets in the way if you are trying to drive the car.

Hell trust is, for checking the engine and doing engine data logs, find it easy to just run my low profile wifi Elm 327 and run scan master elm via the laptop on the bench. Hence the low profile wifi elm327 came with a copy of scan master via amazon for $19, and also works with my Iphone running dashcommand for driving, since the elm327 wifi device only site about an inch below the OBDI port when plugged in.

Where the tech II comes in (and gm nano), is the rest of the car, since the scan master/other types of basic scanners can not get into the body modules to pull and clear those codes, nor get you into the special options as well.

As for HPtuner over EFI live, have both and can't really say for sure which is the better tuning software. Hp tuner has come a long way with extra options, while EFI gave you access to all the options from the start instead. Also, these are both good devices to use to do driving data runs like the Tech II clone as well, since when plugged in, the the cords can be tucked up to not get in the way either.

Hence still not sold if the Gm Nano will stay plugged in/your not going to knock it out of the port for driving data runs.

Name:  Vv60bcR.jpg
Views: 1888
Size:  47.7 KB
Name:  AeiUNNS.jpg
Views: 1891
Size:  57.4 KB

And up against my wifi elm327 that I use more often with Scan master or dashcommand for driving data logging runs instead.
Name:  IqMerZj.jpg
Views: 1893
Size:  67.6 KB

So lets add in a obd2 extender cable that should be thrown in the mix for the GM nano for driving data logging that going to be needed as well.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Dano523; 01-08-2018 at 12:21 AM.

Quick Reply: GM Tech 2 alternative