C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing old plastic dressing

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 02:38 PM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 188 Posts

Default Removing old plastic dressing

The prior owner of my car used some sort of dressing / dye / paint in the wheel wells that is proving to be a pain. It's flaking off in places and looks like garbage on an otherwise perfect car. They also got it on the lower A-arms and what is supposed to be silver aluminum is black in places.

How do I remove it? I had some success in a test spot with gasoline, but I hate to think I'll have to scrub all of this with gas to get it gone.

Tracy
Old 07-25-2017, 06:23 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

For the aluminum parts Napa Alumabrite (sp) will clean the suspension components right up. It is an acid.

As for the plastic, wash it down good with an all purpose cleaner to get the heavy stuff off. Use a soft scrub brush or sponge. I have had good luck with the following cleaners, Sonax Multistar and Optium Power Clean.

To finish it off once all of the old stuff is off, use Meguiar's D4510 Plastic and Vinyl coating or Adams In and Out spray. Both leave a satin finish. I think the Meguiar's lasts a bit longer.

Gary

Quick Reply: Removing old plastic dressing