C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette convertable care

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 07:21 PM
SweetC4
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Vette convertable care

Hello All, I recently traded my Top Flight C4 for a 2006 C6 Convertable.
I'm curious what other convertable owners use or do to maintain and care for the top? Water repellancy products?
Appreciate the help here my first vert.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:51 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Vacuum often, use lint roller
Some say to store in the up position to prevent wrinkles.

Ragg Topp, product name, for fabric. Two separate products...Cleaner and Water Sealant.

Have fun.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:52 PM
Sledge Hammer
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by SweetC4
I'm curious what other convertable owners use or do to maintain and care for the top? Water repellancy products?
Ragg Top convertible car care is the product of choice I believe. You can get it from Autogeek.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:08 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by Kenny94945

Ragg Topp, product name, for fabric. Two separate products...Cleaner and Water Sealant.

Have fun.
this is all of the information you will need.....................
Old 07-31-2017, 10:38 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by SweetC4
I have read several times that Ragg Topp is an excellent product. I happened to find a product from the UK that works awesome. It was a Convertible top maintenance kit by Auto Glym and what clinched it for me was the comments that I got recently when I put my convertible in one of those GM dealer sponsored Corvette Car Shows. It happened to be on a cold miserable rainy day with a heavy downpour at times. I had several people walk over to look at my top and ask what product I used on it since the water not just beaded but beaded into nickel and dime sized beads and ran off like marbles. I had another convertible beside mine and there was no comparison. The attached picture shows my car on the right and you can see the large water beads on the top compared to the one beside it.

Last edited by Icecap; 08-01-2017 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:41 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Have fun.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:41 AM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

^^^^^^
Good advice shared here.

Also, if I remember correctly, the owner's manual says to store the car with the top up to diminish creases and wrinkles. We have C6 GS and Camaro RS ragtops and we follow this routine.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:54 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Have fun.
I don't vacuum mine, but do use a lint roller and Ragg Topp cleaner and sealer. Don't really need anything else.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:43 AM
Richard F
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by rkj427
this is all of the information you will need.....................
When you go to use the spray can of sealer, be sure and tape off and cover the windows and paint near the top, to keep the over spray off the paint and windows. This makes it a lot easier and you dont have to work to get the overspray off the windows and paint.

Ragg Top is the way to go. I used a whole lot of the sealant in the can, but they say you don't have to use that much.

I called the number on the can and spoke with them. Very friendly people and they tell you to use the sealant for fabric. Apparently there are two different kinds.

I bought mine thru the Corvette Museum store. About the same price as anyplace else.

Sheds water like a ducks back and really brings out the Black color of the top.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:45 PM
rsparks64
Drifting

Received 278 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard F
When you go to use the spray can of sealer, be sure and tape off and cover the windows and paint near the top, to keep the over spray off the paint and windows. This makes it a lot easier and you dont have to work to get the overspray off the windows and paint.

Ragg Top is the way to go. I used a whole lot of the sealant in the can, but they say you don't have to use that much.

I called the number on the can and spoke with them. Very friendly people and they tell you to use the sealant for fabric. Apparently there are two different kinds.

I bought mine thru the Corvette Museum store. About the same price as anyplace else.

What he said. Also, after washing the car leave the top up until completely dry. It should not br put down when wet.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:00 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by rsparks64
What he said. Also, after washing the car leave the top up until completely dry. It should not br put down when wet.
No matter what other advice you choose to follow, this is absolutely non-negotiable!!!!

I will go as far as saying, even though I store mine with the top down most of the time (with no adverse effects), anytime my top gets wet, it is stored with the top up for at least one night.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:03 PM
SweetC4
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thank You

Originally Posted by Richard F

Thank You Richard, I have ordered the Ragg Top materials. Keep you posted
Mike
Old 08-01-2017, 10:14 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Frankly, I'm still not sold that sealing (like Ragtopp) the top is a good thing for a canvas top.

I don't wash mine often, other than when I go through the automatic (touch-free) car wash. When I do wash it at home, I use Tide, and a very soft brush dedicated to the top.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:00 PM
cnw
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I do nothing. 2011 GS. Before that a 2001 vert. Never had a problem.

Craig
The following users liked this post:
owc6 (08-01-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 12:06 AM
OlyC6
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17, '19

on using Ragg Topp product...
Old 08-02-2017, 12:06 AM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 461 Likes on 235 Posts

I apply Aero 303 a couple of times per year to help with the water resistance. Works great and is easy to apply.

Last edited by Rocketmanwpb; 08-02-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:16 AM
MarkB3
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I just used the raggtop products to clean up a Gee-U-11 bomb strike to my vert top. Using the raggtop horsehair brush it cleaned up perfectly.

Last edited by MarkB3; 08-02-2017 at 09:18 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Vette convertable care

Old 08-02-2017, 11:28 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Frankly, I'm still not sold that sealing (like Ragtopp) the top is a good thing for a canvas top.

I don't wash mine often, other than when I go through the automatic (touch-free) car wash. When I do wash it at home, I use Tide, and a very soft brush dedicated to the top.
When we had our boats we always had an old timer that made our covers for us. Must have been about 75 and he had been working with canvas for over 40 years. He use to always stress that you should never...ever seal canvas cause it has to breathe. Most important thing as some have stated is to be sure it always dries as fast as possible......
Old 08-02-2017, 01:31 PM
Richard F
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
When we had our boats we always had an old timer that made our covers for us. Must have been about 75 and he had been working with canvas for over 40 years. He use to always stress that you should never...ever seal canvas cause it has to breathe. Most important thing as some have stated is to be sure it always dries as fast as possible......
He is right about canvas....but, I believe you will find that the top of the Corvette is not canvas....that's why they make two different versions of Ragg Topp... some other cars are canvas, but the Corvette is a fabric type top, or so that's what I understand....
Old 08-02-2017, 01:59 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkB3
I just used the raggtop products to clean up a Gee-U-11 bomb strike to my vert top. Using the raggtop horsehair brush it cleaned up perfectly.
"Raggtop horsehair brush" .... this is a good point. If you use a stiff brush you'll make the top sort of fuzzy. I got my horsehair brush at Wally world and I would definitely recommend using one on your top with Raggtop products. I was very pleased with the results.

Quick Reply: Vette convertable care