C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Subaru BRZ Vs base ls3 vette

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 06:27 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by evanft
Well this is certainly a dumb post.

I've driven both these cars enough to have an idea of the differences.

The BRZ is a real driver's car. In fact, it's probably the best on the road today without getting into a Porsche. The balance, chassis, and "feel" really are a class above. It's definitely not a fast car at all, but it can carry more speed through corners than a LOT of much more powerful cars. You really can take it to 9-10/10ths while still feeling like you're in complete control.

The C6 is a fantastic road car, but is not as balanced, has much worse steering, and is overall not quite the driving scalpel that the BRZ is. Yes, it's more than 2x the more for only a 400 lb weight penalty, but the chassis and steering don't communicate as well and don't inspire the confidence the way BRZ does.

A race between the two cars would depend on the drivers, track, and tires. I think on most tracks the Vette would win, and would obviously dominate on more HP-focused tracks. On something shorter and more technical? I could see the BRZ being a PITA for the Vette.

Dumb post??? You sir, evidently can't read. I said I wouldn't own one. I didn't compare the two cars at all. I don't give a rats @@@ what the BRG or BFW or whatever its called can do at a track, how fast it is the 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, mile, 5 miles or 100,000 miles. I could care less. I would not own one period.................................. ........................................ ........................................ ........................................ .....................................Tha nk you. Have a nice day
Old 09-05-2017, 07:08 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

The BRZ owner is a "wanna be" C6 owner...end of story.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:14 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Race his *** and post video here.

I would like to see a lot of people eat their words
The following users liked this post:
Arsenal! (09-19-2021)
Old 09-05-2017, 08:14 PM
dowroa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Cost of consumables for an MX5 and FRS/BRZ are much lower than that for a Corvette. A lot of individuals who track heavily look for lighter cars with cheaper consumables so you can go to the track more.

In this case, the stock C6 is more than capable to out-lap a stock BRZ given equivalent drivers.

Regardless, enjoy the ls3 corvette. If you do make it to a circuit in a base coupe, you may want to look into cooling or the BRZ may go the whole 20 minutes while you may not.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:21 AM
evanft
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
Dumb post??? You sir, evidently can't read. I said I wouldn't own one. I didn't compare the two cars at all. I don't give a rats @@@ what the BRG or BFW or whatever its called can do at a track, how fast it is the 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, mile, 5 miles or 100,000 miles. I could care less. I would not own one period.................................. ........................................ ........................................ ........................................ .....................................Tha nk you. Have a nice day
Did you have a stroke?
Old 09-06-2017, 07:27 AM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by lobsterroboto
...lots of vette owners think that straight line performance is the only metric that matters ...
I've been noticing that myself for a while.

Originally Posted by Boomer111
That is definitely not true. If you really think that, then you don't understand sports cars very well.

There are a lot of guys out there that if you gave them a Corvette for free, they'd sell it and buy an MGB, 240Z, Caterham, BRZ/FRS, Elise or Miata and pocket the difference for tires and gas.

There are a lot of guys that think lightweight, good handling cars with good driver feedback are more important than big tires and high horsepower.

It all depends on your personality, driving style and the types of roads and/or tracks you drive on.
The following 2 users liked this post by dmk0210:
ByByBMW (09-06-2017), Rapid Fred (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 07:51 AM
zzjakect
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk0210

That is definitely not true. If you really think that, then you don't understand sports cars very well.

There are a lot of guys out there that if you gave them a Corvette for free, they'd sell it and buy an MGB, 240Z, Caterham, BRZ/FRS, Elise or Miata and pocket the difference for tires and gas.

There are a lot of guys that think lightweight, good handling cars with good driver feedback are more important than big tires and high horsepower.

It all depends on your personality, driving style and the types of roads and/or tracks you drive on.
These "sports car" guys then would go to the polls and vote for stricter pollution controls and CAFE standards to get real sports cars with real horsepower off the roads so they would have a chance.
and wear silly little British racing caps.
Randy_in_MD (09-08-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 08:00 AM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

I love this forum and there are some good people here, but sometimes you guys reveal why other people dislike Corvette owners so much.

So much ego and bravado. It's just a car. Everyone else is not inferior because they drive something cheaper or with less horsepower.
The following 4 users liked this post by dmk0210:
4SUMERZ (09-18-2021), Arsenal! (09-19-2021), Rapid Fred (09-06-2017), TonyFaub (09-08-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 08:17 AM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 716 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by jbc1995fb
I'm pulling this info from the Oct. 2016 Car and Driver magazine. They test cars on the Virginia International Raceway which is 4.1 miles.

2015 Z06 time was 2:44.6
2014 Grand Sport was 2:47.1
2012 ZR1 was 2:50.7
2011 Z06 was 2:53.5
2014 Stingray 2:53.8
2010 Corvette Grand Sport time was 2:58.8
2008 Z51 Vette time was 3:01.2
2006 Z51 Vette time was 3:09.3
2013 BRZ time was 3:18.6

I don't know what a 2017 BRZ would do on the track, but I don't see it making up a 17 second to beat a 2008 LS3; or ever betting any C6 or C7 Corvette.
At 60 mph you're covering 88 feet per second. Using the 2008 Corvette...17 seconds difference (at 60 mph, and the speeds noted are considerably higher) would be 1,496 feet, or better than a 1/4 mile.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:40 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

There's another point here. It's a great deal more enjoyable to drive a slow car or bike fast than a fast one slowly. The joy one gets from driving a car like the BRZ or old MG's or any other slower car at 70% or more is enormously more fun to many including me than driving a fast car such as a C6 at half that percentage.

We aren't good drivers compared to pros or pros who write for the mags. The idea of any of us taking ANY car below 3 minutes at VIR is laughable. It will not happen, guys. We could, with practice, maybe take a BRZ close to a pro's time there but the C6 or other hot cars like a Porsche GT? Ha. We're only kidding ourselves.

True, if the idea of mashing the throttle for 1/4 mile is your idea of joy, a BRZ won't do it. A c6 will so out pace cars like that that it's a different world. Me? I like the C6 but find the quarter mile club to be a boring place to dwell. I can easily see the BRZ or other similar cars as very enjoyable in their own right.
The following 2 users liked this post by dryadsdad:
ByByBMW (09-06-2017), TonyFaub (09-08-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 09:40 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by dowroa
Cost of consumables for an MX5 and FRS/BRZ are much lower than that for a Corvette. A lot of individuals who track heavily look for lighter cars with cheaper consumables so you can go to the track more.

In this case, the stock C6 is more than capable to out-lap a stock BRZ given equivalent drivers.

Regardless, enjoy the ls3 corvette. If you do make it to a circuit in a base coupe, you may want to look into cooling or the BRZ may go the whole 20 minutes while you may not.
Ya I understand the lower cost for track use. Got a track friend that runs the MX5.

Gains on the turns and loses on the straights.

No track time here just a highway cruiser.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:55 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Homie disagrees. So does pretty much everyone else.

Not true. The real car guys, and i don't mean the Corvettes only folks, know that there are better feeling SPORTS cars than the C6. The C6 is no longer a sports car, the fact that it has high torque and HP is wonderful, but it's become a hi performance GT car, not a sports car. Sad but true.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:21 AM
PHILLIE PHANATIC
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

I love this forum and there are some good people here, but sometimes you guys reveal why other people dislike Corvette owners so much.

So much ego and bravado. It's just a car. Everyone else is not inferior because they drive something cheaper or with less horsepower.
Bravo, Bravo, well said, I couldn't agree more
Old 09-06-2017, 11:20 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

This is turning into a pissing match between track guys and car guys. Track guys like anything that can get around a track quickly or in a fun manner. It doesn't matter what it looks like or how much it costs (cheaper is better in this case) or what comforts it has or doesn't have. Track performance is first and foremost and decides where the car lands on the respect-o-meter. Car guys are a little different. It's not all about the track. It's about desirability, looks, HP, street performance (which is mostly in a straight line). I'm a car guy, I like a lot of sports cars and muscle cars, not just Corvettes. I go to shows, look at cars, talk to the guys about cars old and new. But when I look at a BRZ or a Miata they do nothing for me. I have no love for them. I can easily afford them, but maybe that lessons the appeal for me. I want my car to be loud, somewhat obnoxious, overkill in every category. I don't put the BRZ in the same category as the Corvette and a lot of Corvette owners probably don't appreciate that either. A lot of Corvette owners waited a long time to afford a Corvette and could of easily gotten a BRZ type car along the way instead, but didn't cause its not their thing. If I was looking for an affordable track car maybe it would be a different story. But I've never been to a car show or talked to car guys and people were like "where the Miata's at?" Are Miata's fun to drive? I'm sure they are, but not my kind of car.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 09-06-2017 at 11:22 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by TorchRedFred:
Corvette_Ed (09-06-2017), CptCvMan (09-08-2017), jbc1995fb (09-06-2017), LMB-Z (09-06-2017), Randy_in_MD (09-08-2017), zzjakect (09-08-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-06-2017, 11:46 AM
Vet With A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Nah, it is turning in to a snowflake feelings thread.

Realist: Corvette is faster in every facet of driving by a large margin given equally skilled drivers.
Snowflake: Yeah but the BRZ feels good.

Snowflake: A race car driver would beat a novice Corvette driver.
Realist: Okay?

Snowflake: Corvette is hard to drive.
Realist: Still faster.

Snowflake: Corvette owners are elitists.
Realist: This thread was about which car is faster, not why someone would choose to buy a BRZ. I didn't know stating the obvious was elitism.

Next up - my friend says his Ninja 250 will take my CBR1000RR on the track.
The following 5 users liked this post by Vet With A Vette:
Corvette_Ed (09-06-2017), CptCvMan (09-08-2017), ItsSl0w (09-22-2017), Randy_in_MD (09-08-2017), TorchRedFred (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 12:35 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet With A Vette
Nah, it is turning in to a snowflake feelings thread.

Realist: Corvette is faster in every facet of driving by a large margin given equally skilled drivers.
Snowflake: Yeah but the BRZ feels good.

Snowflake: A race car driver would beat a novice Corvette driver.
Realist: Okay?

Snowflake: Corvette is hard to drive.
Realist: Still faster.

Snowflake: Corvette owners are elitists.
Realist: This thread was about which car is faster, not why someone would choose to buy a BRZ. I didn't know stating the obvious was elitism.

Next up - my friend says his Ninja 250 will take my CBR1000RR on the track.
Mobil 1.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:38 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Not true. The real car guys, and i don't mean the Corvettes only folks, know that there are better feeling SPORTS cars than the C6. The C6 is no longer a sports car, the fact that it has high torque and HP is wonderful, but it's become a hi performance GT car, not a sports car. Sad but true.
The whole point of this thread was which car was faster, a Vette or a BRZ. I really don't care what you're opinion about what constitutes a real sports car is, but would be a good topic for another thread if you want to start one.
zzjakect (09-08-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 Subaru BRZ Vs base ls3 vette

Old 09-06-2017, 01:29 PM
turbota
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by skar
2017 Subaru BRZ VS 2008 ?
A friend of mine that I shoot with said he would beat me on a road track .
I said its a cute little car . But did not disagree because I really don't know anything about them . After he fired it up I said I would win in the quarter mile and top end speed . Ya it sounds weak . So tell me something about them so I know what to say next time I see him .

PS. It stock and brand new .
If I'm not mistaken that is the same car as the Scion FR-S. I just dont see how he can win. Maybe if he is the best driver and you the worst.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:36 PM
vcheng
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
The whole point of this thread was which car was faster, a Vette or a BRZ. I really don't care what you're opinion about what constitutes a real sports car is, but would be a good topic for another thread if you want to start one.
The C6 is faster, much faster in fact. No doubt about that at all.

The BRZ is an absolute delight on a curvy road in its own right.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:45 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

My first car was a 1965 MGB. Loved it. Great car to learn how to drive in. Immediately joined the SCCA and started autox. The Vette is a ton of fun as well. The cornering limits are too high to really push on the street. The MG, not so much. The acceleration in the Vette is fun. Hard to use around here unless it is the middle of the night. Living in the middle of 6 million people has its trials. Hard to think of another car that provides that level of handling with the combination of "go", comfort and price.

Last edited by TxLefty; 09-06-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 2017 Subaru BRZ Vs base ls3 vette