C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H.B.*Finally Bite the Bullet* Part Deaux

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 04:50 PM
drew_c6
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
I hope so, been reading about what all it entails and what all can be screwed up, pretty intmidating

Mine wasn't this bad 6 months ago, I figured it might last me but after checking it out last week and again today it has gotten worse, enough to make me nervous. Wobbling pretty badly

DO NOT WAIT to get it fixed...! I thought I had time when mine was just barely starting to squeak and wobble and it ended up pulling apart and grinding into my steering rack just a couple of weeks later.

As for being intimidating, I'm with you. Mine has been sitting in the garage waiting for the parts and tools to arrive. Every time I start to jack it up to get started on the tear down, I look at the forums and get cold feet. It does not help that there doesn't seem to be a single source of info for how to do it and what sort of things to watch out for - it's all scattered all over the forum, YouTube, and the rest of the internet!

Last edited by drew_c6; 09-19-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:41 PM
OregonMike
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

I just did this back in July. I had a mechanic friend help once I got stuck and he'd never worked on Corvettes before. Just his general mechanical skills got us through the tough stuff. I was stuck on trying to get the rack out.

The biggest help that i can recall was removing the alternator & the upper rad hose (maybe PS pump too?). That gave us room up there to shove (gently) the ABS pump. Once that pump & all those lines were out of the way the rack slid right out the driver's side.

Prep work for that was remove sway bar, lower shock mounts, drop cradle a bit (cradle didn't drop without removing shock bolts).

Took me 3 weekends of mostly waiting on parts. If you were close I'd happily help
Old 09-19-2017, 05:59 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

A new HB and a new shifter cable (if you have an A6) makes having a C6 pure joy. I don't worry about anything now and it sure is nice. Like I posted earlier, sometimes I pop the hood just to watch my smooth running aftermarket balancer.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:22 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Good luck with the install. I dread having to deal with this someday. I'm scared to even look at my HB when the car is running.

They really aren't bad to change with the correct guide and tools. Don't let the labor hours scare you. It doesn't take anywhere near that long.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:34 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
A new HB and a new shifter cable (if you have an A6) makes having a C6 pure joy. I don't worry about anything now and it sure is nice. Like I posted earlier, sometimes I pop the hood just to watch my smooth running aftermarket balancer.
That reminds me -- I'll have to take a look at mine tomorrow.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:03 PM
LsLegacy
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

aw **** what was damaged on this balancer? I bought that back in June/July and got my balancer done... I don't want to think I'm screwed I was happy to get this dumb *** problem taken care of.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:10 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bruze
That reminds me -- I'll have to take a look at mine tomorrow.
Dang, I forgot, so I put a note in the window for tomorrow.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:25 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by LsLegacy
aw **** what was damaged on this balancer? I bought that back in June/July and got my balancer done... I don't want to think I'm screwed I was happy to get this dumb *** problem taken care of.
Both of the ones I got looked to have been dropped, Summit even agreed, then said their entire stock looked that way
If you got yours that long ago it was probably a deferent batch, you would have noticed it I'm sure.

Dang, I forgot, so I put a note in the window for tomorrow.
You're old so I understand
I do the same thing with notes, hell sometimes by the time I walk out to the garage I forget what I went there for sad
Old 09-20-2017, 09:45 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

You're old so I understand rofl:

I do the same thing with notes, hell sometimes by the time I walk out to the garage I forget what I went there for sad
I was doing that even before I got old.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:28 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Well finally wound up with the Power Bond PB1117SS, and got it from Rock Auto, ordered it Friday at noon, got it today. They are a little higher in price than Summit thou but what cha gonna do??
Oh and its flawless, not a scratch or ding, NOTHING so yippee
The model ATI recommended was priced at $435 from Summit, I agreed with others that it was over kill for my situation.
Install next week hopefully, and praying it goes well
NSF
Bobby - Do NOT forget the MOST important part of your HB order from Rock Auto...The fridge magnet!!!

The fridge magnets from RA are "prized possessions". Just like collecting baseball cards when you were a kid... Here is just a small display of mine. I use my lift columns....Two done, two to go....

The following users liked this post:
Not So Fast (09-22-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 07:59 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

You're old so I understand

Eh, saw the note but was a bit rushed going to lunch today, so I didn't check the HB. But the note is sitting on my console so I will see it again tomorrow.

I will not be so rushed tomorrow.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:33 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Bobby - Do NOT forget the MOST important part of your HB order from Rock Auto...The fridge magnet!!!

I buy parts for my daily drivers from R.O.. I rush to install them in the same fashion. #CFConfessions
Old 09-22-2017, 04:13 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Eh, saw the note but was a bit rushed going to lunch today, so I didn't check the HB. But the note is sitting on my console so I will see it again tomorrow.

I will not be so rushed tomorrow.
Okay, finally looked at it today. It wobbles a bit, but no more than it did two years ago, as I recall (currently has 32k miles).

No chirp while cold, and the edges of the belt look fine.

I believe I read here back then by somebody, that a bit of sideways wobble doesn't mean anything -- that some do it when new (OEM, I'm assuming).

Old 09-22-2017, 05:48 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Okay, finally looked at it today. It wobbles a bit, but no more than it did two years ago, as I recall (currently has 32k miles).

No chirp while cold, and the edges of the belt look fine.

I believe I read here back then by somebody, that a bit of sideways wobble doesn't mean anything -- that some do it when new (OEM, I'm assuming).

Just remember to take a peek once in awhile Bruce, they can do a lot of damage as I'm told.
I'll make a mental note to remind you, oh wait what would that be again
Bruze (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 06:23 PM
Nexxussian
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

NSF, it may sound silly, and it's entirely possible I missed it, but have you checked with the local auto parts stores?

I see Oreiley's and Autozone both recognize the part number, even though they don't have it in stock.

I see that Rock Auto has it for less, but I always wind up having to pay shipping (but I'm in Alaska, so plenty of places online think I'm "special" ).

If you have a free shipping deal through R.O. that might be worth it, but any time I've ordered something from Oreally's they were willing to bring it in a stock order, free, even when I did that while visiting family in Phoenix.

Nicest thing about that is you can open the box right at the counter and refuse it if it's not in proper condition.

If you haven't already ordered one, you might try that, do ask how long they expect that to take though.
Not So Fast (09-22-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 10:53 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Okie dokie folks, Since I have been told to not do follow up threads I'll say it here.
Been a long wait and sleepless nites but the job was done yesterday and very pleased with the results. The PB balancer runs straight and true, shop did a great job for less money than the stealership plus I got a better balancer, new belts ,new seal and most likely a better job.
I have no DIC messages, no leaks, no scratches and don't have to have an alignment, car was done on time also.
Total cost was $907 VS the stealership at $1100 with a GM balancer and no new belts.
The shop turned out to be a diamond for me and will use them for all my future needs
The owner showed me my old balancer and it was either made badly or it was starting to disintegrate, where the rubber seam was you could feel about an 1/8" raised area from one side to the other, hence the wobble. So check yours closely
NSF
The following 4 users liked this post by Not So Fast:
Bruze (09-27-2017), HOXXOH (09-28-2017), mikeCsix (09-27-2017), Nexxussian (09-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 06:22 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Glad you're sorted Bobby. I know how these things can cause sleepless nights until they're fixed. Enjoy the peace of mind....and that fridge magnet!
Not So Fast (09-28-2017)

Quick Reply: H.B.*Finally Bite the Bullet* Part Deaux