C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter linkage help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 10:44 AM
2L8LUZ
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Shifter linkage help needed

Hey gang...

I was re adjusting my stock shifter box linkage today and when I went to tighten down the bolt that holds the shifter to the linkage rod, I over torqued the shoulder clamp and it now has a stress crack on one side of it...

I'm sure this wont last very long before complete failure....

Is there anyway to just replace the shoulder clamp? I know its attached to the rod... Just looking for options here....

Please don't tell me that the tranny has to come out for this one stupid oversight...

Appreciate the help...
Old 09-19-2017, 02:49 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 283 Posts

That's something that would happen to me......In fact, I'm surprised that it didn't.

I recently installed an MGW shifter, and had to open up the console a 2nd time because the damned rod (that you are referring to) was slipping.

It's a terrible design. You shouldn't have to crank the snot out of it to keep in from slipping. I don't understand why they didn't put grooves on the rod & clamp so that this wouldn't be a problem.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:56 AM
Jacobsc5
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please tell me you found a fix?!? Did this yesterday on the C6....
Old 04-04-2018, 11:54 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Yikes. I hope I didn't crack mine when I installed my MGW this winter. I used a large wrench and tightened the SNOT out of that pinch nut. I guess I'll keep an eye on the shifting for a while.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:23 PM
Jacobsc5
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
Yikes. I hope I didn't crack mine when I installed my MGW this winter. I used a large wrench and tightened the SNOT out of that pinch nut. I guess I'll keep an eye on the shifting for a while.
Signs would be it sticking to the left or right while in nuetral.... so if you’re in neutral and move it to the left or right and it doesn’t snap back to the center it’s either cracked or not tight enough! Hope this helps.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:32 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacobsc5

Signs would be it sticking to the left or right while in nuetral.... so if you’re in neutral and move it to the left or right and it doesn’t snap back to the center it’s either cracked or not tight enough! Hope this helps.
It does. My shifter is tight as can be right now. No slop, no slipping, no nothing. The MGW video just says to tighten it as much as possible. I don't recall it giving a torque value. I just know I cranked on a big wrench as much as I could so hopefully that sucker never comes loose!
Old 04-04-2018, 08:48 PM
Jacobsc5
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
It does. My shifter is tight as can be right now. No slop, no slipping, no nothing. The MGW video just says to tighten it as much as possible. I don't recall it giving a torque value. I just know I cranked on a big wrench as much as I could so hopefully that sucker never comes loose!
Sounds like it’s on there just right, but if you ever do find it cracked I just got done fixing my issue. Put some JB weld on there held up with a zip-tie and let it sit for 24 hours. Took it for a hard drive and it didn’t budge I’ll update if anything changes. Hope this helps anyone looking for the fix as I couldn’t find one anywhere that didn’t involve replaceing the entire linkage rod.

Get notified of new replies

To Shifter linkage help needed

Quick Reply: Shifter linkage help needed