C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did My Own Halos And Spoiler - Pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 02:08 PM
DubGA
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Did My Own Halos And Spoiler - Pics

I did my own halo job on my headlights. I painted the bezel satin black, painted the chrome rings around the headlights to match the car, and cut down the blinker bulb to make a matching ring to mount the switchback halos. I used 60 mm, 70 mm and 90 mm halos from diode dynamics.
Attached Images      
The following users liked this post:
Lfzebra (10-15-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 02:10 PM
DubGA
Intermediate

I had previously done halos on my tail lights.
Attached Images   
Old 10-13-2017, 02:11 PM
DubGA
Intermediate

Also did my spoiler this week.
Attached Images   
Old 10-13-2017, 02:13 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 527 Likes on 344 Posts

I don't see the halo in the spoiler. Just kidding, looks great!
Old 10-13-2017, 02:22 PM
bartsky
Safety Car

Received 337 Likes on 247 Posts

Good job man...
Old 10-13-2017, 02:30 PM
firemanast
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent job !

Old 10-13-2017, 02:34 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 769 Likes on 706 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Very nice!
Old 10-13-2017, 02:44 PM
DubGA
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
I don't see the halo in the spoiler. Just kidding, looks great!
Yeah, still trying to find some to fit the spoiler brake light, backup lights, and side markers.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:19 PM
OregonMike
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Looks great
Old 10-13-2017, 03:30 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,262 Likes on 921 Posts

Question on the headlight halos. Do you need to remove the headlight lenses for the halo install?
Old 10-13-2017, 03:36 PM
OregonMike
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

I'd like to see more during pics & maybe a quick note on how you went about the project on the halos

Last edited by OregonMike; 10-13-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:03 PM
0Diode Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Very clean installation! Well done!

Looking forward to seeing night time shots

Nick C.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:05 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 556 Likes on 464 Posts

Looks good ... very nice work
Old 10-13-2017, 04:07 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,369 Likes on 908 Posts

That is awesome nice.....
Old 10-13-2017, 04:17 PM
DubGA
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Question on the headlight halos. Do you need to remove the headlight lenses for the halo install?
Yes, no way around that.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:25 PM
ZachLegend
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I love those taillight halos so much. Would you do that for someone if they sent you their OEM tails?
Old 10-13-2017, 04:35 PM
DubGA
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OregonMike
I'd like to see more during pics & maybe a quick note on how you went about the project on the halos
Sorry, I didn't take any during pics. But I mainly followed a video by Vesttesthetics on youtube about removing the headlights from the car. To remove the headlight lenses, I laid a towel on a baking sheet, then laid the headlight on the towel with the lens down, and baked it in the oven at 250 for 10 minutes. Then, wearing gloves, I started prying the lens off, working my way around slowly. Its mostly glue that holds it together, but there are tabs that have to be unclipped along the way as well, so watch out for them. That gets the lens off. Then there are some screws to remove to get the bezel off the lens. There are youtube videos on that as well. There are three screws along the bottom of the bezel that may appear to be just spinning and won't come off. But if you watch the bezel at the bottom as you unscrew them, you will see that they are pushing the bezel toward the lens. Just unscrew them until the bezel doesn't move toward the lens any more. The other screws will just back out with no problem. Then you can remove the bezel from the lens. Removing the turn signal bulb and rings around the headlights is just a few screws on the back. I used some etching primer on the metal rings, and bought rattle can paint to match the Jet Stream Blue. It's a base coat, then a mid coat, then a 2-part clear coat. But its a perfect match and the clear flows very well and has a hardener that you activate before spraying. I used it to paint my door handles as well. I used RTV to hold the halo's on the metal rings. The blinker bulb, I used a dremel to cut it down to a ring to match the others, then glassed over the hole in the middle. I painted the middle satin black to match the bezel, and put a small Corvette emblem in the middle. I painted the outside edge of the ring with the Jet Stream Blue. I used 3M trim tape to hold the switchback halo ring on it. The metal rings didn't have much surface area to use the 3M tape on them, which is why I used RTV there instead. Then I tapped the halo's into the park light/drl/turn signal harness.

Only unexpected problem I hit was that I didn't realize the DRL runs on the same wire as the turn signal, so the DRL wants to shine orange all the time. The pics above are with park lights on. I have ordered a kit from RadioFlyer that separates the DRL and turn signal wires so you can have white DRL's and flash amber turn signals. I will have to pull the headlights when I wire that in, so I can take some pics of the headlight removal process then, as well as the three screws that don't back out I referred to above. I will post them up here when I do.

Last edited by DubGA; 10-13-2017 at 04:57 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Did My Own Halos And Spoiler - Pics

Old 10-13-2017, 04:40 PM
DubGA
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ZachLegend
I love those taillight halos so much. Would you do that for someone if they sent you their OEM tails?
As much as I would love to help out a fellow Corvette owner, I couldn't live with myself if I screwed it up. But if it helps, they are much easier than the headlights.

Use the same baking procedure I described in the headlight post above and pry them apart. There is a clear diffuser ring behind the lens. I sprayed the diffuser ring with VHT Niteshades to darken it. That gives the taillights a dark cherry red look without limiting light output. I then used 3M tape to hold the halos on the top of that diffuser ring. Then use RTV to seal them back up, and tap into the brake and turn signal wires.

I followed this thread for installing the rear halos, with a few exceptions which I go into later in that thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ght-halos.html

Last edited by DubGA; 10-13-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:53 PM
DubGA
Intermediate

One thing I want to point out that is not evident in the pictures. I used the Diode Dynamics halos in the headlight, and Oracle halos in the rear. The Diode Dynamics have a smooth light appearance because of a coating they put on the halo ring. With the Oracle lights, you can see the individual led's. They don't show up in pictures for some reason, so in the pics they appear to be a smooth ring. In person, you can tell its individual led's. They still look great, but you can see the led's. Diode Dynamics do not offer red halo rings in the size needed for the tail lights (150 mm). They said they used to have them, but were having issues with the drivers. I have noticed recently that they now have white halos in that size (and larger) but I haven't seen the red ones listed in that size yet.

Last edited by DubGA; 10-28-2017 at 12:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 05:16 PM
0Diode Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DubGA
One thing I want to point out that is not evident in the pictures. I used the Diode Dynamics halos in the headlight, and Oracle halos in the rear. The Diode Dynamics have a smooth light appearance because of a coating they put on the halo ring. With the Oracle lights, you can see the individual led's. They don't show up in pictures for some reason, so in the pics they appear to be a smooth ring. In person, you can tell its individual led's. They still look great, but you can see the led's. Diode Dynamics do not offer red halo rings in the size needed for the tail lights (140 mm). They said they used to have them, but were having issues with the drivers. I have noticed recently that they now have white halos in that size (and larger) but I haven't seen the red ones listed in that size yet.
We will be releasing our larger single color sizes here shortly. The goal is to have them available by the end of the month.

Our HD halos are perfect for tail light applications because of the dual-stage brightness options. You can have a running light + brake light setup very easily.

Nick C.

Quick Reply: Did My Own Halos And Spoiler - Pics