C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reverse lock-out in 2005 c6

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 12:17 PM
aboveall
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reverse lock-out in 2005 c6

It is hard to get my manual shift 2005 c6 corvette to go in reverse. Is there anyone out there who has this problem? If so, does this have to do with the computer in the car or is it some kind of reverse lock-out solenoid.

Nate
Old 10-16-2017, 03:50 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by aboveall
It is hard to get my manual shift 2005 c6 corvette to go in reverse. Is there anyone out there who has this problem? If so, does this have to do with the computer in the car or is it some kind of reverse lock-out solenoid.

Nate
I've had my '05 since new & have always found it takes some good pressure to get it into Reverse.....and there is no lock-out solenoid. Remember too on the '05s you need to be in Reverse when you shut down in order to make sure all electronics shut down. This was an anomaly in the '05s only.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:56 PM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 150 Posts

05 man 6 speed here too. No problem at all with Rev on mine. Every once in a while mine is a little hard to put in 1st. I just wiggle shifter in N, pump clutch pedal once and it goes right in. Try that with your Rev.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:39 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave S
I've had my '05 since new & have always found it takes some good pressure to get it into Reverse.....and there is no lock-out solenoid. Remember too on the '05s you need to be in Reverse when you shut down in order to make sure all electronics shut down. This was an anomaly in the '05s only.
What keeps you from accidentally going into reverse when shifting into 5th gear if not a lockout?? I know the 2005 has 2 reverse switches , one for backup lights and one to shut the electronics down when you shift into reverse when shutting off the engine, but there should also be a reverse lockout...WW

I did some searching and here's a do it yourself thread from a guy with a 2005 Z51 Corvette on installing a Reverse Lockout Solenoid...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-solenoid.html

I also found this video on pulling the reverse lockout solenoid on a T56 transmission....

Last edited by WW7; 10-16-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:30 PM
CydeFX
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can this be fixed? I just bought an '05. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2019, 05:50 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,020 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Originally Posted by aboveall

Nate
Note a fan of pulling the reverse lock out solenoid, since if you do hit reverse instead of 5, your going to do major damage to the trans.

So question is you can get get over to the right gate and start to come up before you have problems, or are you being blocked at the over to the right point instead.

Also, if the car is moving, your not going to get reverse, since with the car moving at all, the lock out solenoid is doing it job to keep you out of the reverse gate.

So lets say that you can get into the gate line and start to come up on the shifter, but trans is not going into reverse.
Step one, do the ranger flush Method on the cutch fluid, since contaminated fluid may be the problem with the clutch not fully disengaging.

Step two, make sure that the shift lever assembly has been correctly indexed. Hence may have had an after market shifter in the car, it was pulled, and when the OEM shifter was put back in the car, either shifter not indexed correctly, or the rear coupling bolt not tightened correctly enough isntead.

As for if after that, may be worn syncro's in the reverse gear, and trans may need to be pulled apart to fix the problem isntead. The quick way to check after you have made sure that the shifter assembly is correctly indexed and clutch fluid clean, try to put the trans in another gear first (say third), then come back and try to put the trans in reverse. Hence putting the car into another forward gear will bump the worn reverse syncro from being tooth to tooth if that is the problems and allows the trans to go into reverse afterwards.

As for complete shifter lever block from getting all the way over to the right before you would go up into reverse, the car is stopped, and the shifter is correctly indexed, then may need to check the reverse solenoid to make sure it working in the first place. If the wire to it gets disconnected, car should be throwing a code, but someone may have went in with HP tuner to disable the code isntead.

Last one, and what is miles on the car (may be due for a trans fluid change), and have you checked to make sure that the trans has fluid in the first place.

Last edited by Dano523; 03-24-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:10 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave S
I've had my '05 since new & have always found it takes some good pressure to get it into Reverse.....and there is no lock-out solenoid.
There most definitely is a solenoid. If you are shifting 5-6 and push to the right real hard, it will try to go in to reverse but stop. It might partially go if you overpower it and you'll hear gear teeth gnashing for sure but hopefully it does its job and prevent you from going into reverse. Definitely don't want to let the clutch out in that case.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:14 PM
slowtraffickeepright
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Had an 05 manual with no issues. Was exactly the same as my 2010 manual.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:31 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by CydeFX
Can this be fixed? I just bought an '05. Thanks!
There’s nothing to fix. If you own it long enough it becomes nothing more than putting a automatic in park.
The following users liked this post:
CydeFX (03-24-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To reverse lock-out in 2005 c6

Quick Reply: reverse lock-out in 2005 c6