C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Newbie Question. Car "Stutters" When Cold Only at Full Turn

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 03:17 PM
Jaydubgt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another Newbie Question. Car "Stutters" When Cold Only at Full Turn

I have another new owner question.

I just picked up a 2013 GS 6M this past Friday. I bought it from a dealer, and of course, the car was fine during the test drive.

Now I notice, when the car is cold (not just overnight) and I start out and turn the car about 75% to full lock (like backing out of a driveway) the car's motion will stutter. Same thing if I turn the other way or go forwards or backwards. It almost feels like I have a locked differential and one of the tires is skidding. But, it sounds like it's coming from the front of the car. Once I straighten it out to anything below 75% full lock, everything's fine.

Once it's warmed up. I can turn the car full lock in either direction and do circles and everything's fine.

When I first felt it, I thought the tires/wheels were hitting something. But, I checked, and they're the stock wheels with the stock tire size. Since the car has about 15k miles and the rears almost need replacing, I'm assuming that they're the original tires.

Any ideas? For all I know this is normal

Thanks in advance for any information.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:30 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

It's normal due to the wide front tires. They all do it.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:35 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaydubgt
I have another new owner question.

I just picked up a 2013 GS 6M this past Friday. I bought it from a dealer, and of course, the car was fine during the test drive.

Now I notice, when the car is cold (not just overnight) and I start out and turn the car about 75% to full lock (like backing out of a driveway) the car's motion will stutter. Same thing if I turn the other way or go forwards or backwards. It almost feels like I have a locked differential and one of the tires is skidding. But, it sounds like it's coming from the front of the car. Once I straighten it out to anything below 75% full lock, everything's fine.

Once it's warmed up. I can turn the car full lock in either direction and do circles and everything's fine.

When I first felt it, I thought the tires/wheels were hitting something. But, I checked, and they're the stock wheels with the stock tire size. Since the car has about 15k miles and the rears almost need replacing, I'm assuming that they're the original tires.

Any ideas? For all I know this is normal

Thanks in advance for any information.
This is called the Ackerman syndrom and its a symptom of the wide tires in cold weather .people smarter than me might pipe in but a google search will help. Its normal amd we all have it . Maybe not the warmer climate guys . When I first noticed it I thought the tires were skipping on a twig or even a pencil

Clif
The following users liked this post:
Jaydubgt (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 03:37 PM
99Z51
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have to do a hard right turn coming out the garage and my GS does the same thing. No issues once I get moving on the road.
Jaydubgt (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 04:06 PM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,374 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Ackermann steering geometry is a geometric arrangement of linkages in the steering of a car or other vehicle designed to solve the problem of wheels on the inside and outside of a turn needing to trace out circles of different radii.

So, what you describe is normal. Hooray!
Jaydubgt (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 04:16 PM
Jaydubgt
Instructor

GREAT!! I always catastrophize everything, so I immediately thought that I missed something during my test drive and it will cost me $$$$$$.

Thanks, again, guys. That's a BIG load off of my mind!!!!
Old 10-16-2017, 04:33 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

When I bought my car 7 years ago it had the original Goodyear tires on and did this whenever I pulled out of the driveway. After 2 years I got new tires (Michelin A/S ZP) and never experienced it again...YMMV.

Last edited by RobLo; 10-16-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:11 PM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,374 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by RobLo
When I bought my car 7 years ago it had the original Goodyear tires on and did this whenever I pulled out of the driveway. After 2 years I got new tires (Michelin A/S ZP) and never experienced it again...YMMV.
That is odd since the problem is caused by the wide tires which has nothing to do with the mfr. My factory Goodyears did it and so do the Bridgestone replacements.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:53 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaydubgt
GREAT!! I always catastrophize everything, so I immediately thought that I missed something during my test drive and it will cost me $$$$$$.

Thanks, again, guys. That's a BIG load off of my mind!!!!
Jay, there will be other things in your discovery process. I would recommend that anything you have a question about, bring it here before heading for a shop or dealer. The folks on this site have a wealth of knowledge.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:08 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
That is odd since the problem is caused by the wide tires which has nothing to do with the mfr. My factory Goodyears did it and so do the Bridgestone replacements.
Yes, used to happen every time I pulled out of the driveway, I first thought there was something wrong with the front end. I'd get that stutter/chattering, only during the turn. I read a few posts about how bad the original Goodyear tires were and mine being 5 years old I just figured that was it. When I replaced them with the Michelin's problem was (and still is) solved!
Old 10-17-2017, 02:00 PM
Jaydubgt
Instructor

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
Jay, there will be other things in your discovery process. I would recommend that anything you have a question about, bring it here before heading for a shop or dealer. The folks on this site have a wealth of knowledge.

Thanks. I certainly plan on taking advantage of the collective knowledge and wisdom on this forum!!
Old 10-17-2017, 05:05 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 907 Likes on 591 Posts

I experienced the same thing shortly after buying my '13 GS. Bought it out of state and took a 6 day road trip with my brother driving it home. Spent a fairly cool night in Flagstaff and felt/heard the tires scrubbing while backing out of the parking spot. My brother looks at me and goes "What is that?". Fortunately I had already spent several months on the forum before buying the car and knew what it was. I think every brand of tire will do it, some may be more obvious and the steering has to be cranked hard over.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:28 PM
Jaydubgt
Instructor

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
I experienced the same thing shortly after buying my '13 GS. Bought it out of state and took a 6 day road trip with my brother driving it home. Spent a fairly cool night in Flagstaff and felt/heard the tires scrubbing while backing out of the parking spot. My brother looks at me and goes "What is that?". Fortunately I had already spent several months on the forum before buying the car and knew what it was. I think every brand of tire will do it, some may be more obvious and the steering has to be cranked hard over.
Dr. G-
That's exactly what happened to me. However, my road trip was only 2 days and I went solo.

I got up early that second day to get a head start on any traffic. I backed the car out of the hotel parking lot, and that's when I first felt the stutter. I thought "Oh crap. What could that be?" I pulled back into the parking space and did what minimal checking I could.

Although I did visit the forum before I bought the car, I hadn't seen any information about the stutter, so naturally I freaked out. I was thinking about the scenario of getting the car home and taking it to the shop only to find a very expensive bill waiting for me.

What a relief that it's "normal".

I noticed that you have a 60th Anniversary Edition, too. Do you know of any 60th Anniversary Edition Registries or groups specializing in the edition?
Old 10-19-2017, 02:44 PM
Jaydubgt
Instructor

I just found this in the quick reference guide:

Tire Chatter

During hard, slow turns, such as parking, the difference in steering angle of the tires may cause one tire to slide or hop lightly to keep up with the other tire. This hop of the wide tires may cause a chatter sound. The noise will stop as the wheels are straightened.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:52 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
Ackermann steering geometry is a geometric arrangement of linkages in the steering of a car or other vehicle designed to solve the problem of wheels on the inside and outside of a turn needing to trace out circles of different radii.

So, what you describe is normal. Hooray!
See I told you....smarter guys than me...lol

Clif

Get notified of new replies

To Another Newbie Question. Car "Stutters" When Cold Only at Full Turn

Quick Reply: Another Newbie Question. Car "Stutters" When Cold Only at Full Turn