C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run Flats or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 06:33 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
Curious why you would invoke that.

Do you have lots of experience with both, miles with no flats? Miles with lots of flats?

Or?

No miles at all?

New people arrive on the forum all the time.

Some of us will continue to help.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:35 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

[QUOTE=owc6;1595799174]Devil's advocate, here.

Did he say he was driving off road in the desert? Plenty of places are far from anywhere that can fix a flat, or replace it, and have no phone service. Seems to me that the pic in your avatar (Cape Breton?) is plenty far away from help, and the road there has crap that will ruin a tire, just like anywhere. :-P I agree. The road going to Ingonish was in bad condition when we were there in 2013

BTW, one of the most beautiful trips, EVER!

I did get a flat on this trip, as well. (yes, I get a lot, because I drive a lot, and don't let substandard roads limit me) I know that you put many miles on your C6. At the time of the trip, the entire northern bit of Cape Breton was under construction.
That must of been after I was there, because it was badly in need of repair.

It's a risk/reward thing, IMO, and I often drive far from home and do not like seeing my baby being hauled up on a flatbed for something that can be avoided. Others feel differently for reasons that are good for them.

It is for sure. I've not ever had a sidewall blowout on any of my vehicles in 40+ years of driving, so maybe that's why I do take that risk with non FR's. I have 80K on the c6 with non runflats, and picked up a screw on one of the 3 week trips that we took. I was able to find the culprit, pull it out and put a plug in the rear tire with it still on the car in the hotel parking lot.
Maybe I got lucky.

Take Care
The following users liked this post:
owc6 (10-21-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 06:48 PM
nick14003
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaydubgt
I'm sure the subject of whether to replace the tires with run flats or not has been brought up several times. However, I wasn't very successful in tracking down those threads with the search function. Which speak more to my search function skills...

At any rate, what are most people buying when it comes to replacement tires? Are you sticking with the run flats for the security or regular tires for cost savings and a bit of performance gains?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
cost of saving? LMAO no, I spent probably upwards of 400 dollars a tire for my MPSS non runflats.

Drives better, performance is better.

never really gotten a flat before... but I guess i'm screwed when it happens, but seeing as how unlikely it is I don't worry.

most likely i'll just need a tow,

worst case scenario, it happens at 80mph and I roll the car and die

Old 10-25-2017, 01:59 PM
Jaydubgt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting report from AAA.

28% of new cars have NO spare tire.

They must rely on the "Fix-A-Flat" type compressor with goop.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-life...n=awdailydrive
Old 10-25-2017, 03:24 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
It's all about risk. I never worry about a flat tire. If it happens that I get one that I can't fix, then I'll call a tow truck. That's a longshot at best that it would happen.

It's your decision.
Hopefully they won't destroy your front end as they drag the car onto the flatbed.

Tom
Old 10-25-2017, 04:31 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by TCW
Hopefully they won't destroy your front end as they drag the car onto the flatbed.

Tom
Likely a better chance of damaging my front end by hitting a road gator than needing a flatbed due to a blowout. Any other tire issue will not instantly flatten a tire.
I'll take that gamble.

Quick Reply: Run Flats or Not?