C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 with no fobs, what can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 03:21 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by DIABLOZ
Ok, here’s an up date. I unloaded the car this morning and started to mess with it.
I got ridiculously exited when I pulled out the floor mats and found a fob from the car. Unfortunately it was a cruel joke and turned out to be a broken case with no electronics inside.

So I put a battery charger on the car and got it juiced up. Nothing would work on the car. When I push the start or accessory button it just says no fob detected. I went through all the fuses in the under hood box and found 3 burnt. I find this is very common with the wrecks I get, they seem to burn fuses upon impact. I checked all the ones in the passenger footwell and found none blown.
Now, I can move the power seats, pop the hatch and gas door, the electric door latches are working intermittently. When I push down on the acc. Button the acc. Only stays on for a second. Like with the windshield wipers on I can push acc. And they will move a little bit, push it again and they move a bit more but the acc. Will not stay on. The stereo,ac controls etc stay dead.

I tried to make it go into program mode for the new fob but when you turn the key 5 times it does nothing. Nothing comes up on the display, all dark and dead.

Are there more hidden fuses somewhere that I might check? Anyone have any idea what’s going on with this thing?
Call me you have my number
Old 11-11-2017, 04:13 PM
DIABLOZ
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bad1968ss
Call me you have my number
I think I’m just going to leave it for the moment. The fob I ordered won’t be here until next week, I was just trying to see if I could make it go into program mode out of curiosity. Seems I’ve got some other issues to try to track down in the meantime. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:20 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

I think I’m just going to leave it for the moment. The fob I ordered won’t be here until next week, I was just trying to see if I could make it go into program mode out of curiosity. Seems I’ve got some other issues to try to track down in the meantime. Thanks.
If it showed no fob then it shouldn't be dead, you have to pull it hard and don't worry about how many time just not less than five
The following users liked this post:
DIABLOZ (11-18-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 04:37 PM
DIABLOZ
Instructor

If it showed no fob then it shouldn't be dead, you have to pull it hard and don't worry about how many time just not less than five
Yeah, I was pulling it all the way over and over- more than 5 times etc. but everything just stayed dark. No fob detected is the only thing it shows when I push the start button up or down. The acc. Will only stay on for a fraction of a second and the radio/Ac panel etc seems to have no power even then. I’ll get serious with it when the fob shows up. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:54 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Yeah, I was pulling it all the way over and over- more than 5 times etc. but everything just stayed dark. No fob detected is the only thing it shows when I push the start button up or down. The acc. Will only stay on for a fraction of a second and the radio/Ac panel etc seems to have no power even then. I’ll get serious with it when the fob shows up. Thanks.
I had all doors and hatch open with windows down. Then I turned the light switch on to bring up the odometer. Went to the back and pulled it as many times as it took to get to relearn. It's a hard long pull to get it all the way to the end.
DIABLOZ (11-18-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 07:48 PM
DIABLOZ
Instructor

I had all doors and hatch open with windows down. Then I turned the light switch on to bring up the odometer. Went to the back and pulled it as many times as it took to get to relearn. It's a hard long pull to get it all the way to the end.
That’s an odd thing too, it will not even light up the odometer. I’m going to keep searching through fuses.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:30 PM
DIABLOZ
Instructor

Today I went out and started to pull a few parts that I could and still leave it together enough to run and test everything when the fob arrives. I don’t know what it’s problem was the other day but I pulled the cable repeatedly today and it went right into program mode. I can’t wait for the fob to show up so I can run this thing. ��
Old 11-13-2017, 06:18 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Today I went out and started to pull a few parts that I could and still leave it together enough to run and test everything when the fob arrives. I don’t know what it’s problem was the other day but I pulled the cable repeatedly today and it went right into program mode. I can’t wait for the fob to show up so I can run this thing. ��
It's a long pull to end and it's tight getting there.
DIABLOZ (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 08:56 PM
DIABLOZ
Instructor

It's a joke the way they have this setup about needing a key. If you have a fob new or used then you only need access to the inside the car. It could take less than a min, then watch someone drive off in your car.
I finally got a new fob in the mail today. Used your simple procedure to trick it into program mode and got the new fob recognized. I own you a beer or 6. She runs like a champ. I only buy them to dismantle but I feel better asking a bit more if I know it runs. If at all possible I get them running and test everything. I thought I might be out of luck on this car but you saved me. Thanks a hundred times.
Landru (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 12:04 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

I finally got a new fob in the mail today. Used your simple procedure to trick it into program mode and got the new fob recognized. I own you a beer or 6. She runs like a champ. I only buy them to dismantle but I feel better asking a bit more if I know it runs. If at all possible I get them running and test everything. I thought I might be out of luck on this car but you saved me. Thanks a hundred times.
Thanks to cclive's post here, I was able to figure out how to program the fob without a key. When you tear that one apart let me know the BCM part number as I may change mines.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:08 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by EVRose
Not exactly. There are three 10 minute wait periods before the fob will program. You also need the key to put the car into program mode.
"EVRose" you are correct on having to do the long without a working fob

Quick Reply: 08 with no fobs, what can I do?