C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removal of front licence plate bracket

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 09:54 AM
Buggy650
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Removal of front licence plate bracket

can the front bracket be removed without damage to the bumper....looking to replace it with one that mounts lower....this is what it looks like now...the yellow is what I am going for.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Buggy650; 11-16-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:05 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 250 Posts

I suppose you could remove the license plate to see if the bracket is held on with screws or double sided tape.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:08 AM
HEB
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I thought I would remove my licence plate holder but found out someone shot two screws in it. I have heard dental floss would take the factory sticker tape off with out damaging the nose.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:11 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

I do not have one, but from reading previous threads on this topic, I would say yeas it can. The only issue you will have is if it was bolted on. If this is the case you will need to do one of two things; plug the bold holes with grommets painted to match or have them filled, sanded and the areas painted to match.

If it was put on with the 3M 2-sided tape, you can use fishing line or floss and some Goo Gone/WD40 to remove it and then clean up any residue glue.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:21 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Buggy650
can the front bracket be removed without damage to the bumper....looking to replace it with one that mounts lower....this is what it looks like now...the yellow is what I am going for.
some of the factory plate holders are riveted to bumper and rivets will need to be drilled out.now you will need to have holes in bumper filled and painted if yours are attached in this manner.the yellow holder in picture will obstruct air flow to rad and condenser.The plate holder that you have was available from GM at one time in your body color.

Last edited by irok; 11-16-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:26 AM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default License plate

man, that's a bad installation. I'm guessing that they didn't want to block the air flow. I've never been a fan front mounted plates.
I've been driving since 1980, and have taken off the front plate, only been ticketed once ( California ). when I bought my corvette in January, the seller didn't have a front plate to give me.
I hope that yours is not screwed in.

good luck!
Old 11-16-2017, 10:30 AM
Buggy650
Advanced

Originally Posted by irok
some of the factory plate holders are riveted to bumper and rivets will need to be drilled out.now you will need to have holes in bumper filled and painted if yours are attached in this manner.the yellow holder in picture will obstruct air flow to rad and condenser.The plate holder was available from GM at one time in your body color.
i can see what you are saying about obstructing the air flow....I wonder if is obstructed by a critical amount? If so I will well enough alone.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:36 AM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

i can see what you are saying about obstructing the air flow....I wonder if is obstructed by a critical amount? If so I will well enough alone.

yours is the first one I've mounted that way. the rest have been mounted as shown on the yellow 'vette. show I do not think it effects the air flow that much, but whoever mounted it, maybe thought that it did.
I have seen mounts that attach to the underside of the bumper (under the driving light ), and can actually be folded back to be hidden.
if it were me, and was attached via screws, I would pony up to have it removed, filled and, painted.
dealers choice!
Old 11-16-2017, 10:46 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by irok
the yellow holder in picture will obstruct air flow to rad and condenser.
No, it won't. The radiator still gets plenty of air.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:47 AM
irok
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cgladish
yours is the first one I've mounted that way. the rest have been mounted as shown on the yellow 'vette. show I do not think it effects the air flow that much, but whoever mounted it, maybe thought that it did.
I have seen mounts that attach to the underside of the bumper (under the driving light ), and can actually be folded back to be hidden.
if it were me, and was attached via screws, I would pony up to have it removed, filled and, painted.
dealers choice!
not really a bad installation.that is the factory holder installed in the factory location.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:56 AM
irok
Safety Car

more than a few of these cars have cooling issues.you wont know if yours is obstructed by a critical amount until you install on your car and compare running temperatures between the 2 holders
Old 11-16-2017, 11:16 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 87SAM
I suppose you could remove the license plate to see if the bracket is held on with screws or double sided tape.
Yes.

Remove your license plate to see if there aren't any screws in there. If no screws then just get some small fishing line or dental floss and work it down the back-side of the bracket. You could also heat up the adhesive with a hair dryer to help.

I just heated up the adhesive and yanked on it and it came off. Then just kinda worked the residue off using my fingers.

OEM mounting uses 3 ~1.5" diameter circle shaped double sided foam tape. Sometimes people screw them on as well.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:19 AM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

removed the front plate from my '98 Pace Car and installed the bumper cover on it, then when I installed the tigershark front bumper on the Pace Car I never used a front plate at all.

and the First thing I did when I got the C6 was remove the front plate holder.. it was just on with double sided 3m tape.
these cars look SOOOOO much better without a front plate!

Last edited by RPOZ4Z; 11-16-2017 at 11:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Buggy650 (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 11:29 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
No, it won't. The radiator still gets plenty of air.
One of the first mods I made 7 years ago was to install the front plate, previous owner had it in the window. I bought the removable plate holder and bracket for Top Flight, same as the yellow one but in DSOM. I figured I'd occasionally remove the plate if the running temps rose, in over 7 years I've never removed the plate and NEVER had a temp/overheating problem. I've driven down South and up North in over 95* temps, no issues. In your case I just hope there's no holes drilled...
Buggy650 (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 03:35 PM
Buggy650
Advanced

Originally Posted by RPOZ4Z
removed the front plate from my '98 Pace Car and installed the bumper cover on it, then when I installed the tigershark front bumper on the Pace Car I never used a front plate at all.

and the First thing I did when I got the C6 was remove the front plate holder.. it was just on with double sided 3m tape.
these cars look SOOOOO much better without a front plate!
whay year is your c6?
Old 11-16-2017, 03:42 PM
Buggy650
Advanced

Originally Posted by RobLo
One of the first mods I made 7 years ago was to install the front plate, previous owner had it in the window. I bought the removable plate holder and bracket for Top Flight, same as the yellow one but in DSOM. I figured I'd occasionally remove the plate if the running temps rose, in over 7 years I've never removed the plate and NEVER had a temp/overheating problem. I've driven down South and up North in over 95* temps, no issues. In your case I just hope there's no holes drilled...
Me too! And thanks I was wondering if I should get the removable one but I would likely be like you.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:13 PM
bill gsport
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't worry about obstructing the air flow with the front mounted plate. My previous C6 Z06, with Vortech supercharger, intercooloer, and stupid-high horsepower had no temperature issues, and my current stock Grand Sport has same plate mounting position and no heat issues either. (And I'm in Texas...probably a tad warmer than Canada.) I made my own hidden brackets and mounted the license plate under the bumper lip against the grille mesh and angled out at the bottom. Air can't flow over the top of the plate, or under the bottom because the body's in the way, so it's not scooping up any additional air.
Buggy650 (11-16-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Removal of front licence plate bracket

Old 11-16-2017, 04:28 PM
Buggy650
Advanced

Default Update

Plate and bracket pulled off surprisingly easy.....must have been put on recently over wax. No holes good to go with new bracket. I will watch the temp!

Now if I can figure out the paint code from this label...I think it is 17U?
Attached Images  

Last edited by Buggy650; 11-16-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:32 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Me too! And thanks I was wondering if I should get the removable one but I would likely be like you.
I got the removable one cause I do like the way the car looks without the front plate and I figured I'd remove it from time to time, especially when traveling out of NY, as it is it hasn't happened yet but I still like the option. If the price difference is not that much I think I would do it that way again...good luck!
Old 11-16-2017, 04:45 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Plate and bracket pulled off surprisingly easy.....must have been put on recently over wax. No holes good to go with new bracket. I will watch the temp!

Now if I can figure out the paint code from this label...I think it is 17U?
U636R is WA636R

Silver
Buggy650 (11-16-2017)

Quick Reply: Removal of front licence plate bracket