C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 base coolant leak?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 05:49 PM
akgolfpro
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 07 base coolant leak?

I’m having a problem with a super slow leak and finding it! I have only found coolant under the car once and my general knowledge tells me it’s from the water pump, being it’s directly under the engine.
I filled up the coolant today and took it for a 15 min drive and lifted it up with some race ramps and slid under there an can’t find anything! Grrr.
It is wet here in the north west so it’s making it a little more difficult to spot under the car.
any advice on where to look on the water pump for the leak, seems pretty hard to see, may need to pick up one of those little mirrors on the end of a shaft.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:09 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Mine dripped on the floor under the pump, but I never found the source. I smelled coolant before I saw it in a drip and soon the pump died and blew coolant every where in a very short amount of time after first smell.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:41 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

I had a similar situation where I'd only occasionally notice coolant and it turned out to be a small crack in the radiator. I must have drove it over a week like that until I figured it out.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:16 PM
morepwr
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 96 Posts

I have seen these engines leak out the steam vent ports where they bolt to the head. Kind of hard to see but toward the top of the head next to the intake. It has a small gasket and one little bolt holding each fitting and they can weep a bit. You almost can't see the rears but if you get a mirror in there, look for a stain running down the back of the head from the fitting.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:35 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Had the same problem with my '05, slight smell of coolant, an occasional drip on the floor but in months I only added a small amount of coolant once. I took it to a trusted mechanic to get my hoses and coolant changed and mentioned the problem, he showed me coolant stains on the pulley above the water pump, I'd never thought to look there, I was always under the car. He changed the water pump when he did the hoses and that solved the problem...betting yours is the same! Good luck...
Old 11-17-2017, 04:28 PM
akgolfpro
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just ordered a water pump, hope that’s the problem. I’m sure it’s not the radiator or hoses, would he seen a leak there.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:32 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

before you start ,throwing parts at it,go rent a red pressure tester from an auto parts store,put it on at 25-30psi and let it seat for 1-2 hours,and while its on look for leaks,,do it with the eng hot and cold[like from sitting over-night]
Old 11-17-2017, 04:47 PM
Hells
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Mine had a leak in the T fitting that runs under the throttle body. Replaced it with a brass fitting I found at Home Depot. A week later the radiator developed a crack on the side.
I found this video of the same thing that happened to mine. Just something to check.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:16 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
before you start ,throwing parts at it,go rent a red pressure tester from an auto parts store,put it on at 25-30psi and let it seat for 1-2 hours,and while its on look for leaks,,do it with the eng hot and cold[like from sitting over-night]
leak could be from one of many places, for e.g., in my wife's Sonic there is a leak but nothing on the ground (ever). Finally traced it to the thermostat housing (made of plastic) - the drop in coolant is so slow and difficult to detect.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:54 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RobLo
Had the same problem with my '05, slight smell of coolant, an occasional drip on the floor but in months I only added a small amount of coolant once. I took it to a trusted mechanic to get my hoses and coolant changed and mentioned the problem, he showed me coolant stains on the pulley above the water pump, I'd never thought to look there, I was always under the car. He changed the water pump when he did the hoses and that solved the problem...betting yours is the same! Good luck...
Happened to me on a LS1 engine and I wound up replacing the water pump as well.

Last edited by B-Vette; 11-19-2017 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Spelling

Get notified of new replies

To 07 base coolant leak?

Quick Reply: 07 base coolant leak?