C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What tire patch kit to carry?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 09:31 AM
ny32182
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

Default What tire patch kit to carry?

I think I'm about to go to non-runflat tires.

For those that have, what is a good portable patch kit to carry?

I already have a small compressor, so I will just put that in the car as well.

I would prefer a patch kit, and not a can of goop if that is possible, as I'm told the goop can cause further damage, especially to the TPMS?

Any other wisdom about this situation would be appreciated. Can you patch over a nail, or would you also need pliers to try to get the nail out in that scenario?

I've never had a car without either RF tires, or a normal spare before.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:45 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

I carry a regular kit I picked up at walmart called SLIME. I got the DELUXE kit that comes with the nice big handles. I have not had to use it on my Corvette but have patched 2 tires for friends of mine without an issue. Its no big deal to be honest. I added pliers that are decent to the kit and no problems so far. I think most of these patch kits are all the same.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:08 AM
ny32182
Le Mans Master

Is this the one?

Amazon Amazon
Old 11-22-2017, 10:17 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by ny32182
That would work, and pull the object that punctured the tire and carry a sharp single edge razor blade to cut the plug flush with the tire tread after install.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:22 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Looks like it, cheaper in Walmart
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Del...&wl13=&veh=sem

Basically find the nail that is in the car. Sometimes the nail does not go all the way but sure looks like it. I always get the patch kit ready just in case. Take a strip of the tire string and place it within the reamer. I then take a plier and take out the screw/nail, etc that is in the tire out. If it leaks I immediately take the tool that comes in the kit to round off the hole and make it big enough for the patch kit. Push that in and out a few times (first time is hardest) to make sure it can move in and out of the tire fairly easy. I like to put the rubber cement on the plug string first before I insert it into the tire. Pull the tool out and then go in with the reamer and into the tire. Make sure the patch is good and then cut off the excess. A lot of people i have seen leave the excess on the tire but honestly its good to cut it off. Good to throw in one of those exacto knives into the kit too and a flashlight if this is going on at night (the one you can wear on your forehead).
Old 11-22-2017, 10:40 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

You're not "patching" the tire. You're plugging it. So be sure you get a plug kit....
The following users liked this post:
wideglideleon (08-04-2020)
Old 11-22-2017, 11:08 AM
BigBlok502
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 308 Likes on 222 Posts

I use Dynaplug tire kit, much easier to insert the plug into the tire. The plugs store in the handle. They have an aluminum version too.

Amazon Amazon
Old 11-22-2017, 11:16 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Forget patching/plugging and all the other stuff needed to use it. The low tire pressure warning comes on at 24 psi, so head to a tire store and let them deal with it. Your compressor can get you pumped up again if you're too far from a repair location. If the leak is so big the tire goes flat in less than a mile, the tire is junk by then anyway.

I bought a compressor for the Vette more than 100K miles ago and it's never been used. Ask yourself, how many times have you seen cars with flats in the last year.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:32 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Stop and Go kit. I've used it twice, one car, one motorcycle. No leaks.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:57 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by ny32182
I think I'm about to go to non-runflat tires.

For those that have, what is a good portable patch kit to carry?

I already have a small compressor, so I will just put that in the car as well.

I would prefer a patch kit, and not a can of goop if that is possible, as I'm told the goop can cause further damage, especially to the TPMS?

Any other wisdom about this situation would be appreciated. Can you patch over a nail, or would you also need pliers to try to get the nail out in that scenario?

I've never had a car without either RF tires, or a normal spare before.

Don't confuse patches and plugs...not at all the same thing. You don't want a patch kit, you want a plug kit.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:48 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Just posted this in another thread
Well, I had a Tech Tip, but it looks like there is a problem with them.
I have had to change two flats in the field. The first was in the driveway, and I was seriously in trouble with just a pump and a patch kit. I could not get the nail out, and there was no way I was going to patch the tire, and would have been stranded.
Bottom Line, for a Tire Repair Kit, think of the absolute worst situation you can think of and prepare for it.
My kit consists of a air pump with a light on it, headlamp, a small jack, so I can get the tire off(Think of trying to patch a tire that has a nail on the inside front), Lug nut socket, 1/2 breaker bar, Needle nose pliers, round nose pliers, screwdriver, , a bottle of water, rubber glove(this is a dirty job), a blanket to lay on, a cheap $3 poncho in case it is raining, and a GOOD tire patch kit, not a cheap one under $10. These are tough tires, so you need a decent T-Handle plug tool.
Sounds like a lot, but it all fits in a stuff sack in the left side cubby, with the exception of the jack, which is my center cubby. It is only 12-14 inches long and about 3 inches high with it's own handle. I think it came from a Taurus. and cost me $8 from the local Pick-N-Pull junkyard.
My second flat was in my work parking lot, and I had it fixed in about 15 minutes.AAA will not fix a flat only put the spare on.

Last edited by Grzldvt1; 11-22-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:00 AM
Hebebad
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

AAA and a cell phone. Repairing a tire on a Vette on the side of a highway, Seriously?
Jeffs82c3 (08-04-2020)
Old 11-23-2017, 01:24 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Hebebad
AAA and a cell phone. Repairing a tire on a Vette on the side of a highway, Seriously?
Better check your agreement, they will come out and change a spare or tow/flatbed. Make sure you have the best towing.
In my case it was an estimated 3 hour wait for the tow from where I was, Not willing to wait that long plus I take the car where there is no cell coverage.
twoweeled (06-29-2020)
Old 11-23-2017, 11:12 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Hebebad
Yep....theres still some of us that aren't afraid to get our hands dirty.....
The following 2 users liked this post by windyC6:
mikeCsix (08-07-2020), twoweeled (06-29-2020)
Old 11-23-2017, 11:27 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 166 Posts

The Stop-N-Go product is one of the best kits on the market, along with Dynaplug. I’ve plugged several tires including a cut (using multiple plugs) with Stop-N-Go, much uicker than waiting for AAA or going to a tire store.

From a practical perspective, HOXXOH is correct, with a straight-in nail or screw, a tire pump will easily keep it inflated until you can get to a tire store.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:56 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 661 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
Just posted this in another thread
Well, I had a Tech Tip, but it looks like there is a problem with them.
I have had to change two flats in the field. The first was in the driveway, and I was seriously in trouble with just a pump and a patch kit. I could not get the nail out, and there was no way I was going to patch the tire, and would have been stranded.
Bottom Line, for a Tire Repair Kit, think of the absolute worst situation you can think of and prepare for it.
My kit consists of a air pump with a light on it, headlamp, a small jack, so I can get the tire off(Think of trying to patch a tire that has a nail on the inside front), Lug nut socket, 1/2 breaker bar, Needle nose pliers, round nose pliers, screwdriver, , a bottle of water, rubber glove(this is a dirty job), a blanket to lay on, a cheap $3 poncho in case it is raining, and a GOOD tire patch kit, not a cheap one under $10. These are tough tires, so you need a decent T-Handle plug tool.
Sounds like a lot, but it all fits in a stuff sack in the left side cubby, with the exception of the jack, which is my center cubby. It is only 12-14 inches long and about 3 inches high with it's own handle. I think it came from a Taurus. and cost me $8 from the local Pick-N-Pull junkyard.
My second flat was in my work parking lot, and I had it fixed in about 15 minutes.AAA will not fix a flat only put the spare on.
Exactly.....
Old 08-03-2020, 11:14 PM
80atez
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

This thread reminds me of covid... People say it doesn't exist until they get it....

I carry a plug and pump - any kind, just know how to use it... Even with RFT because if you can keep the tire pressure up during a flat, you can patch and plug it and reuse the tire (not on a track). And some do leak fast... Some slow. Pliers are a good idea too.

Seriously, not trying to start a political rant, but just because you haven't had something happen to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen a lot. And I admit, just because I have had several doesn't mean you will have one... I've plugged about 8 tires on my cars in my life, and I'm 50. There was a time I would plug my tires and not patch them and none ever failed, but I do not recommend that. It will happen if you drive enough. And every time I plug one, I am so glad I did instead of having to call the truck. Oh, and I wear a mask, even though I'm not sick....

Get notified of new replies

To What tire patch kit to carry?

Old 08-03-2020, 11:34 PM
ny32182
Le Mans Master

The non RF PS4S worked great until the car was sold a year and a half ago. Long before masks were used to signify your political opinions.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:02 AM
ncnmra
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I just got my 'Vette, but I had a BMW with non-runflats and no spare. I used to carry "Fix-A-Flat" (I never needed to use it), but after watching this video, I bought the "Slime" kit with the compressor:

Old 08-04-2020, 12:30 PM
Barrier
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Klick on this on
ebay auto and look for the one @ $18.95 with free shipping
From webdeals2015
This is the one in a red or orange plastic case. The tools have aluminum handles. The plugs are self vulcanizing. The plastic handles always break. I would copy it but my copy function is not working..
Also buy an inexpensive compressor $15-20.
Do not use slime! or any fix flat stuff.. This should get you on your way. You also might need a pair of Side **** pliers.
Barrier

Last edited by Barrier; 08-04-2020 at 01:58 PM.

Quick Reply: What tire patch kit to carry?