C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 4LT leather dash issues/repair failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 08:38 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

DAP® WELDWOOD Landau Top & Trim High Heat Resistant Contact Cement

http://www.glueplace.com/dap-weldwoo...rade-1-gallon/

Last edited by CSixDude; 01-08-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:19 AM
pingiii
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I have a 2012 GS 4LT and my dash just had this problem. Was your car under warranty when they agreed to replace it? If not, how did the dealer justify this fix? I have a Rick Hendrick dealer near me and I was going to take it there for them to look at and give me some advice on what can/should be done, but didn't know how to approach them. Any suggestions you might have would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 07-15-2018, 04:57 PM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 150 Posts

The dash issue is the reason I did not want a 4LT optioned C6. My search was narrowed to 3LT optioned C6’s.
The following users liked this post:
MannyS (01-20-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 03:19 PM
flynbyu2
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I've seen the same problem on the C6 ZR1 with the 3ZR interior.
Old 01-10-2022, 08:09 PM
Richard F
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Unfortunately my 2011 Grand Sport has now started to come unglued from up at the very edge of the windshield. Damn it....I guess I should have learned from my 2009 model. Its not bad yet but whats to come is what I hate. What are people doing now to fix this? Ive see pads that will fit over the area but didnt know about that or not.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:09 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard F
Unfortunately my 2011 Grand Sport has now started to come unglued from up at the very edge of the windshield. Damn it....I guess I should have learned from my 2009 model. Its not bad yet but whats to come is what I hate. What are people doing now to fix this? Ive see pads that will fit over the area but didnt know about that or not.
2 options - pull the dash and reglue it, or pull the windshield, reglue it, and put the windshield back in.

Edit to add: You could also buy and install a 3LT dash.

Last edited by BadAV; 01-11-2022 at 08:05 AM.
sd45t2 (01-13-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 11:58 AM
dkpnkc
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick369
The dash issue is the reason I did not want a 4LT optioned C6. My search was narrowed to 3LT optioned C6’s.
Ditto. But I did buy 4LT door panels and the console cover. Got great prices on low mileage used. The interior looks so much better now.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:31 AM
Warren Seale
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard F
If the leather is delaminating near the base of the windshield then there is a cheap and easy fix. This will only work when the leather is lifting near the windshield. Get a length of vacuum hose that reaches from one A piller to the other. Lay the hose loosley at the base of the windshield where it meets the dash. Use your hand or a plastic flat blade tool and push the leather toward the windshield then wedge the hose into the windshield so that it is tight. Continue this along the entire base of the windshield. What you will find when finished is that the hose is barely visible at the base of the windshield as it looks like a gasket. It will keep the leather tight and flat. I did this on my 427 and it works quite well. Unfortunately this is not the solution if the leather is lifting toward the front of the dash or near the glove box. If you don't like it then it is easy to reverse.
dr_gallup (01-18-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 09:39 AM
dkpnkc
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Warren Seale
If the leather is delaminating near the base of the windshield then there is a cheap and easy fix. This will only work when the leather is lifting near the windshield. Get a length of vacuum hose that reaches from one A piller to the other. Lay the hose loosley at the base of the windshield where it meets the dash. Use your hand or a plastic flat blade tool and push the leather toward the windshield then wedge the hose into the windshield so that it is tight. Continue this along the entire base of the windshield. What you will find when finished is that the hose is barely visible at the base of the windshield as it looks like a gasket. It will keep the leather tight and flat. I did this on my 427 and it works quite well. Unfortunately this is not the solution if the leather is lifting toward the front of the dash or near the glove box. If you don't like it then it is easy to reverse.
That's pretty ingenious. I didn't know MacGyver drove a 427! :-)
Old 01-12-2022, 02:53 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
And to do it right the windshield must be removed.
Yes, I agree also! But you can remove the entire dash from inside the car. I have done it to install a new HUD. Removing the dash is very simple, technically, all you have to do is just remove all the screws pull the dash out. Since I'm a DIY type, I would just remove the dash and take it somewhere to be reglued. (Actually, I might be tempted to use contact cement on the dash it worked well for me on a '70's Triumph.)

So why doesn't everyone do it this way? Because you need to remove the radio, center console, glove compartment, gauge cluster, etc. It's about 50 screws and 50 clip attachments you need to redo and remember. That's a lot of unnecessary unscrewing and redoing for a shop and time is money. So if you are a DIYer I would do it myself. If you're having it done then they will pull the window to save money in labor cost and time.

Old 01-12-2022, 07:10 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,811 Likes on 4,239 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

It’s pulling up by the windshield because it’s cut too short and doesn’t wrap around the edge. I pulled the dash on mine - took just under 2 hours taking my time, sorting and labeling all the bolts, screws, etc. It looks much scarier than it is. I also recommend removing the seats to give you some more room getting under the dash to remove/re-install those screws. Re-install of the dash took just about an hour with my 12-yr old doing most of the install.

http://www.kawal.net/Dash%20Replacement.htm

Old 01-13-2022, 03:55 PM
BigBilll
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts

C7 with leather wrapped dash DEFINATELY has this problem as well !! Pretty much any leather wrapped dash exposed to good old sun/ uv rays will have this problem'
This is NOT a Corvette exclusive.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:05 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by BigBilll
C7 with leather wrapped dash DEFINATELY has this problem as well !! Pretty much any leather wrapped dash exposed to good old sun/ uv rays will have this problem'
This is NOT a Corvette exclusive.
Doesnt even have to be exposed to sun. My car is exclusively garaged and only had 18k mi when the dash started coming up. Poor adhesive, very little adhesive, & leather not wrapped or stapled will all contribute.
Celticvette55 (06-13-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 11:21 AM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist

I need a little guidance here. Looking at a 2013 4LT convertible with two bigger ripples and one small hump in the dash. Looks like there's two methods. #1 pull WS, reglue and reinstall WS. #2 pull the dash, reglue, reinstall dash. What are the up and down sides of each approach? Typical costs for each of these solutions or some other way to make the dash look good again with a solution that will last?
Old 01-17-2022, 06:30 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by johngammel
I need a little guidance here. Looking at a 2013 4LT convertible with two bigger ripples and one small hump in the dash. Looks like there's two methods. #1 pull WS, reglue and reinstall WS. #2 pull the dash, reglue, reinstall dash. What are the up and down sides of each approach? Typical costs for each of these solutions or some other way to make the dash look good again with a solution that will last?
Pulling the windshield risks breaking the windshield, so the potential for increased cost. Pulling the dash is probably the best option. I’ve seen people post repair costs from $500 - $1,500 depending on the amount of repair needed, if the shop removed/reinstalled the dash, etc.

if you can remove the dash yourself, you’ll save a lot of money.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:50 AM
Judgebull
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts

I have a 13 with the 4LT trim and I have worn a big hole in the top of the dash from rubbing so much to see if it’s bubbling up yet…nope mine is still stuck down….. ha ha
Old 01-18-2022, 03:45 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Ah!, the good ol' days ...

Never had to worry about some dash pad debonding from my dads 1962 Impala.

All metal

That was the days of "real steel"!

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To C6 4LT leather dash issues/repair failure

Old 06-11-2022, 07:12 PM
GaGlen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mine Is letting go Also

Well, I guess it's my turn. Just this month, my dash started letting go on my 2011 Zo6. After reading and researching, I think I will pull the dash and re-glue it. I've already had the console, nav, and etc out. Shouldn't be that bad. Any last minute suggestions appreciated.
Old 06-11-2022, 08:37 PM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 150 Posts

Went to Corvette Adventures in Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin. It started Thursday morning and ends tonight with a dinner. I parked next to a 2014 C7 Convertible with the 3LT package (leather dash) for a road tour. The current owner told me he bought the car in April of this year with 4,800 miles. The dash behind the steering wheel is already lifting and bubbling. I’ve seen too many C6’s with the 4LT package and now C7’s with the 3LT package with lifting and bubbling leather dashes. Whenever I am searching for a Corvette, I always stay away from any with the leather dashes. It is evident that GM does not know how to secure the leather to base dash material.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:03 PM
pingiii
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I researched removal and re-gluing but decided to go back to the dealer and see what they could do. Went to a local Hendrick dealership (they sponsor our local club) and they agreed to replace the entire dash for just the cost of labor ($1,500) which would have been double otherwise. They did a great job and the new dash is excellent and I'm very happy. Local shops wouldn't guarantee the repair so I didn't want to take the chance. You may want to consider this as an option. Good luck.

Quick Reply: C6 4LT leather dash issues/repair failure