C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to install a Reverse Camera

Old 01-28-2018, 07:36 PM
ProChargedVett
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to install a Reverse Camera

At the start of winter I installed reverse camera for backing up my C6, however the steps are the same for earlier models. It already had a Kenwood stereo head unit with a display for a camera. This video is long because it is a full step by step of exactly every bolt, wire, trim removal, and drilling required for the installation. I posted it on my teenage son's channel TANNERS GARAGE of how to automotive videos. This will help you do it yourself as opposed to paying for 3+ hours of labor at a stereo shop. I have other how to videos on this channel that were side projects that were done at the same time while the trunk was apart. Installing sound denoting and raising the trunk mounts for the targa top so that it does not rest on the trunk sub enclosures.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:50 PM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 70 Posts

Getting ready for the same install on mine......video link?
Old 01-28-2018, 07:55 PM
Elijah71
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

I just installed this winter a backup camera as well and took the car out yesterday and noticed the video on my Kenwood is backwards.
How can I get the video corrected?
Old 01-28-2018, 07:59 PM
madsonp
Safety Car

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,164 Posts

I installed both front and rear cameras on mine with the Pioneer AVIC-8200 NEX system. The front one I use to make sure I don't hit parking blocks.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:24 PM
Fly N Low
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Elijah71
I just installed this winter a backup camera as well and took the car out yesterday and noticed the video on my Kenwood is backwards.
How can I get the video corrected?
Some Kenwoods have the ability to "Mirror" the image in there adjustments. If thats not possible most cameras can be rewired to mirror the image. There will be a few very small wires sticking out of the harness near the camera. Follow the directions to connect or disconnect wires to mirror the image.
The wires will be about a foot or two back from the camera along the harness
Old 02-24-2018, 02:32 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Callaway DrDon
Getting ready for the same install on mine......video link?
I just watched it here:
Great install, excellent video, but what are the 2 wires that you soldered to the reverse lights? The first was for the camera power itself but the second one coming from the front was for what? Was that wire for the reverse activation switch? Looks nice and simple just want to clarify what the wires were for. Thanks!

Last edited by jdvann; 02-24-2018 at 02:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Callaway DrDon (02-24-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 03:34 PM
ProChargedVett
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdvann
I just watched it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWsjibhXfp8
Great install, excellent video, but what are the 2 wires that you soldered to the reverse lights? The first was for the camera power itself but the second one coming from the front was for what? Was that wire for the reverse activation switch? Looks nice and simple just want to clarify what the wires were for. Thanks!
In the trunk I attached 2 red wires to the green reverse light wire and later in the video solder them once I made sure that everything worked. 1 of those red wires goes to the camera to power it when the car goes into revers. The camera also had a black wire which you can see me soldering to the ground wire for the lights. The 2nd red wire goes to the stereo which has an activation wire on it. That way when you go into revers, it activates the stereo to turn on the screen for the reverse camera. With this kit, the RCA camera wire had the red activation wire running with it. For some other revers camera kits, you may need to run a separate wire for this.

As per the comment by madsonp, if my car did not already have this stereo in it and I was replacing the factory stereo, I would choose a stereo that is capable of 2 cameras. Just like he said, I myself wish that I had a front camera as well for when I park and do not want to hit a sidewalk curb or parking block. The new C7 has the option of a front camera in addition to the rear for this very reason.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:57 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Thanks for the update...my Car has a Kenwood installed already, they just did not put in the back up cam so this vid is exactly what I needed...

Get notified of new replies

To How to install a Reverse Camera

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to install a Reverse Camera