C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I replace my tires prior to selling car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 03:10 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Quiet AND moot...
You HUSH Rux !!!....the perfect one died on the cross !!!!.....
Old 02-14-2018, 03:14 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
Well, you may not but most would have an opinion about run flats or not.
I'm not so sure. I've heard a few people say that they didn't buy because they didn't like the wheels on a particular car, but never heard someone say that they passed on a perfect car cause they didn't like the tires.....
Old 02-14-2018, 03:18 PM
Dave1998
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by slowstang305
I put new tires on the last car I sold so the new owner won't have to worry.
I would say put on new tires. Here is the logic I was told by the Used Car Manager at a Chevy Dealership.

If the tires are bald, his first question in his mind is what other maintenance did the seller not perform? So when someone comes to look at your car, they are not only going to deduct for what they think new tires will cost, but also deduct for other suspect neglected items.

Also, i dont believe many folks will be thrilled to drop thousands of $$$ on a car, and then go home and throw more money at it.
The following users liked this post:
SRQ Vette (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 10:10 AM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

If you replace the tires please please please do not put the garbage Goodyear run flats back on.. Mine are also balding on my 13 GS with only 10k miles. I’m going with Hankook non run flats in the spring.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:29 AM
SRQ Vette
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Quiet AND moot...
I absolutely would replace the tires before selling, and would not buy cheap tires. You don't need to buy Michelins, but get highly-rated mid-price tires from a place like Tire Rack. Why? Because worn out tires create an impression that your car might not have been otherwise well-maintained. Some buyers will immediately cross your car off of their list, and others will lowball their offers. I think that most buyers discount their offer by more than the actual cost of a repair or replacement. If they think that a new set of Michelins will cost $1500, they might subtract $2000. Of course, if they succeed in making a deal to buy your car with the bald tires, they might then go out and purchase a set of Hankooks.

As someone else has already mentioned, as a Realtor I also subscribe to the idea of replacing lousy carpet before selling your home. $1000 spent on inexpensive carpeting might create a much better impression, leading to a quicker sale at a higher price. It doesn't matter if the new owner puts the new carpet out at the curb before moving in. It is money well spent.

Getting back to the idea of new tires before selling, I looked at a Corvette the other day that has decent Hankooks on the rear and brand new "Ironman" tires on the front. WHY???? Who the heck puts Ironman tires on a Corvette??? Would it have been that difficult to buy matching Hankooks?
Old 02-15-2018, 10:39 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,629 Likes on 2,349 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by GrandSportRob
If you replace the tires please please please do not put the garbage Goodyear run flats back on.. Mine are also balding on my 13 GS with only 10k miles. I’m going with Hankook non run flats in the spring.
Do me a favor...put on new Hankooks, change NOTHING else and report back in 10,000 miles.
Not saying the GY's are the best tire but alignment is a big wear factor here.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:11 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Just buy used tires for chump change off Craigslist local to you and call it a day.

The new owner will never pay you what you lay out for the tires...

Better to sell for less and call it a day
Old 02-15-2018, 07:03 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

As is......if the loss of the sale is in jepardy then discount a little

Clif
Old 02-15-2018, 07:53 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandSportRob
The g2 Goodyear aren' that bad actually. They offer a decent amount of performance, and when properly aligned can last pretty long. Really they'e not bad for an OEM tire. Now the gen1 Goodyears... those were utter garbage.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:15 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave1998
I would say put on new tires. Here is the logic I was told by the Used Car Manager at a Chevy Dealership.

If the tires are bald, his first question in his mind is what other maintenance did the seller not perform? So when someone comes to look at your car, they are not only going to deduct for what they think new tires will cost, but also deduct for other suspect neglected items.

Also, i dont believe many folks will be thrilled to drop thousands of $$$ on a car, and then go home and throw more money at it.
Tires that have 3-5 / 32ds of a tread, no problem. Bald or going bald tires, you begin to wonder what other maintenance did he postpone or skip. Tons of Corvettes out there to chose from.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:17 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 122 Posts

When I bought my '09 in December the previous owner had recently replaced the original Good Year tires. Nice run flat Michelins. While I would have probably put on the Super Sports vs the AS/3+, I was certainly happy with those and appreciated the added security for a 1800 mile drive home.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:47 AM
SRQ Vette
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Tires that have 3-5 / 32ds of a tread, no problem. Bald or going bald tires, you begin to wonder what other maintenance did he postpone or skip. Tons of Corvettes out there to chose from.
And as I mentioned before, if I see "Ironman" tires, whether they are brand new or completely bald, I'm going to be pretty sure that the seller took the cheap route on everything else. Come on, guys, admit it. Have any of you actually bought Ironman tires?

Last edited by SRQ Vette; 02-16-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:45 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SRQ Vette

And as I mentioned before, if I see "Ironman" tires, whether they are brand new or completely bald, I'm going to be pretty sure that the seller took the cheap route on everything else. Come on, guys, admit it. Have any of you actually bought Ironman tires?
Well heck...my car is pristine in every way and never gets cheapo parts put on it. But if I wanted to re-tire it before selling i'd put cheapo's on it. And if a potential buyer doesn't want it cause they thought that means I went cheap on everything, then i'll sell it to the next guy......
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (02-17-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 04:08 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Most people want "turn key" these days not something they have to do something with so put new OEM tires on the car and price the car accordingly. New tires are usually a positive selling point and bad tires are a negative for most buyers. You are giving the buyer to much credit to think most will care what brand of new tire you put on the car.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:35 PM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

Do me a favor...put on new Hankooks, change NOTHING else and report back in 10,000 miles.
Not saying the GY's are the best tire but alignment is a big wear factor here.
I agree alignment is a big issue but that has zero to do with the ride quality and trammling that Goodyear run flats produce. My old C5 was just as bad with Goodyear runflats. I ended up putting Goodyear non runflats on it and had 100% ride improvement. Goodyear makes a good tire but their runflats is pure garbage.

Last edited by GrandSportRob; 02-16-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:42 PM
cessna10
cesssna10
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by S.C. vette

Rather than the hassle associated with this effort, and risking the loss of a sale over the type or quality of tire YOU choose, just give the buyer a credit or discount. Life is too short for such worries!
Old 02-17-2018, 09:18 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I feel it's legit legal tread depth..leave as is...

If not...just buy a set of used tires cheap and call it a day...

There are tons of places to buy used tires to sell a used car without going deep and expecting to get your money back...on buying new tires...

If your keeping the car buy quality new tires....otherwise...leave as is or buy inexpensive used tires with any tread over 6/32nds.

Quick Reply: Should I replace my tires prior to selling car?