C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Automatic Shift Knob

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 09:04 PM
Doc_Ox
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C6 Automatic Shift ****

I recently (possibly successfully) replaced the automatic shift **** in my 2008 Automatic C6, but the process has left me with a question. As is the stereotype when building anything, I have an extra leftover part and I'm left to wonder its necessity.

Here are the helpful instructions I followed to remove the shift ****:
http://www.theredlion.us/C6%20A6%20S...20by%20WHT.pdf

I noticed, however, that my replacement OEM shift **** did not include an extra retaining piece at the base that the old one included when I removed it. I tried removing this plastic ring with pliers (and many choice words), but couldn't do it. I decided to install the new shift **** without this ring piece and everything seems fine. The new shift **** inserts down onto the shaft properly and does not require the rotation step to lock it in place that is supposedly necessary according to the above instructions. Likewise, with a little force, I can pull straight up to remove the **** without any rotation.

Everything seems to be working fine. So, my question...should I leave well enough alone and forget about this extra retaining piece altogether? Or is this piece somehow unknowingly necessary? FWIW...I haven't shown a tendency to suddenly pull up on my shift **** while driving...yet, at least.

Below I've included a comparison picture showing the additional retaining piece that I'm referencing.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:44 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

It looks like the part was redesigned. It probably functions the same way. I would ask the parts dept and show him the pictures to confirm.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:30 AM
Mlcharlestonsc
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Looks like the extra piece is your retaining ring that needed to stay in your shifter boot.
Directions said turn boot clockwise from 12 to 1 pull boot down then pull up on ****.
The ring needed to stay with the boot.That ring is what locks your boot to the ****.
It appears you may have just twisted the boot and not the actual ring before pulling down. Which may have caused the boot and ring to separate leaving ring on **** when pulling up to remove.
​​​​​

Last edited by Mlcharlestonsc; 02-27-2018 at 02:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bigjeff1222 (03-08-2023)
Old 02-27-2018, 02:58 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Mlcharlestonsc
Looks like the extra piece is your retaining ring that needed to stay in your shifter boot.............
​​​​​

However, if the boot is staying up and is tight against the shift ****, you could probably just leave it alone.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:07 PM
R2ND2
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where did you find the replacement ****?

I have a broken **** in my 2008 C6 but am having difficulty sourcing a new one. Where did you get yours?

Originally Posted by Doc_Ox
I recently (possibly successfully) replaced the automatic shift **** in my 2008 Automatic C6, but the process has left me with a question. As is the stereotype when building anything, I have an extra leftover part and I'm left to wonder its necessity.

Here are the helpful instructions I followed to remove the shift ****:
http://www.theredlion.us/C6%20A6%20S...20by%20WHT.pdf

I noticed, however, that my replacement OEM shift **** did not include an extra retaining piece at the base that the old one included when I removed it. I tried removing this plastic ring with pliers (and many choice words), but couldn't do it. I decided to install the new shift **** without this ring piece and everything seems fine. The new shift **** inserts down onto the shaft properly and does not require the rotation step to lock it in place that is supposedly necessary according to the above instructions. Likewise, with a little force, I can pull straight up to remove the **** without any rotation.

Everything seems to be working fine. So, my question...should I leave well enough alone and forget about this extra retaining piece altogether? Or is this piece somehow unknowingly necessary? FWIW...I haven't shown a tendency to suddenly pull up on my shift **** while driving...yet, at least.

Below I've included a comparison picture showing the additional retaining piece that I'm referencing.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:40 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Mlcharlestonsc
Looks like the extra piece is your retaining ring that needed to stay in your shifter boot.
Directions said turn boot clockwise from 12 to 1 pull boot down then pull up on ****.
The ring needed to stay with the boot.That ring is what locks your boot to the ****.
It appears you may have just twisted the boot and not the actual ring before pulling down. Which may have caused the boot and ring to separate leaving ring on **** when pulling up to remove.
​​​​​
you are correct.
The following 2 users liked this post by wayback:
bigjeff1222 (04-25-2023), R2ND2 (08-17-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 11:16 AM
c5wolf
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by R2ND2
I have a broken **** in my 2008 C6 but am having difficulty sourcing a new one. Where did you get yours?
Me too

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Automatic Shift Knob

Quick Reply: C6 Automatic Shift Knob