C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 12:52 AM
Silver 07
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Tires

I'm also ready to change out my original GoodYear RF with 14,000 miles on them for the Michelin tires, Costco quoted me $1049 for the Michelin Pilot Sports A/S 3+ and for the same in run flats model for $1,316, not sure which I want to go, not much of a difference, I was wondering if anyone has the Michelin run flats and if they are a quit tire, hate my GY's.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2018, 10:43 AM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Tires is probably the topic with the most threads by far. So search and you'll find lots of opinions.

I am on the "I hate run-flats" boat. More expensive, louder than the non-RF counterpart, and the ride is less comfortable due to the stiffer sidewall.

Michelin is popular. They have some of the best life expectancy and performance is top tier for a street tire with a reasonable price to boot. The Pilot Sport 4S is the latest and greatest model, with the previous model being the Pilot Super Sport...same line...really good.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:04 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver 07
I'm also ready to change out my original GoodYear RF with 14,000 miles on them for the Michelin tires, Costco quoted me $1049 for the Michelin Pilot Sports A/S 3+ and for the same in run flats model for $1,316, not sure which I want to go, not much of a difference, I was wondering if anyone has the Michelin run flats and if they are a quit tire, hate my GY's.

Thanks
My car came with brand-new Michelin RFs, so I have nothing to compare them to. Aside from that, I have no complaints. Considering what these cars are capable of, the ride, noise, etc. are great IMO.

Attachment 48341433
Old 02-27-2018, 02:15 PM
Allan
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Bruze
My car came with brand-new Michelin RFs, so I have nothing to compare them to. Aside from that, I have no complaints. Considering what these cars are capable of, the ride, noise, etc. are great IMO.

^ ^ ^ ^
This
The following 2 users liked this post by Allan:
Bruze (02-27-2018), marinablu67 (02-28-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 03:27 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

When I bought my car I was one hour into a eleven hour drive home and was wondering, what did I just do. The car rode horribly, the tires were old run flats.

Once home I bought new none run flats. For all the years of being a car guy, cams, headers, rear ends, nothing ever made the same "seat of the pants" improvement as those new tires.

Good Luck with your decision.
The following users liked this post:
tomray (03-02-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 04:01 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

Thanks

I bought my 08 several months ago with about 17K, and the seller had recently replaced the originals RFs due to age. This is the first car that I ever had with them. They had approximately 3K and looked new tread wise. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. I think the tire you mentioned replaced these. I've since put over 2K miles on the car, and I'm sold on RFs! The tires are very responsive, quiet, and because of the firm sidewalls add extra protection for your wheels when hitting unavoidable objects and pot holes!

I'm just waiting for the first person to tell me that you're not suppose to hit pot holes
Old 02-27-2018, 04:44 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by marinablu67
I bought my 08 several months ago with about 17K, and the seller had recently replaced the originals RFs due to age. This is the first car that I ever had with them. They had approximately 3K and looked new tread wise. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. I think the tire you mentioned replaced these. I've since put over 2K miles on the car, and I'm sold on RFs! The tires are very responsive, quiet, and because of the firm sidewalls add extra protection for your wheels when hitting unavoidable objects and pot holes!

I'm just waiting for the first person to tell me that you're not suppose to hit pot holes
I've got over 10k on mine, still great.

I do have to get it aligned soon though. The dealer I bought the car from put the new tires on and did an "alignment." Crap job, as usual.
marinablu67 (02-28-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 05:17 PM
Silver 07
Racer

Thanks for the replys, I think that I'm going with non run flats, already have the tire kit, compressor and road side coverage, I really want a smooth and quit ride.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:36 PM
VA50th
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks
I just put these same tires on my 13 GS Coupe from Costco. IMO....they ride fine. I hear no noise on the road nor when turning around in my cul-de-sac. Costco know tires. Talk to them. For me...run flats = peace of mind.
marinablu67 (02-28-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 08:45 AM
brigantinebry
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Careful with the non-run flats

Yo,

I was also thinking of replacing my OE Goodyears with non run flats and bought a tire repair kit and have AAA - but my mechanic and various posts talk about if you have a flat and use the tire repair kit that has the sealant, it will damage if not destroy the tire sensors TPMS - I'm back on the run-flat wagon and will probably go with the Michelin Super Sport RF - good luck !
Old 03-01-2018, 10:34 AM
Silver 07
Racer

I bought a kit that states that it won't damage the sensors, I hope so, if I go with the non run flats.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2018, 08:54 PM
1 kool c6
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

am I the process of changing to Michelin . as soon as winter breaks ill let you know. 17000 out of the Goodyear bricks.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:21 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

The case for RFs:

These are just comments I remember reading from other posters in the past, but are something to think about if you have regular tires and a pump/jack/plug kit with you.

What if you get a flat but can't find where the leak is?

How much lower does the car sit with a flat, making everything more difficult, including trying to get a jack under it?

What if it's night time and it's pouring rain?

What if you're on the side of an interstate, with cars and semis whizzing by at 80 MPH, and your flat is on the road side? (this happened to me one afternoon a few years ago with my truck, and it was pretty scary).

Take the above sentence only it is night time and raining?

Old 03-01-2018, 09:23 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

The case for RFs:

These are just comments I remember reading from other posters in the past, but are something to think about if you have regular tires and a pump/jack/plug kit with you.

What if you get a flat but can't find where the leak is?

How much lower does the car sit with a flat, making everything more difficult, including trying to get a jack under it?

What if it's night time and it's pouring rain?

What if you're on the side of an interstate, with cars and semis whizzing by at 80 MPH, and your flat is on the road side? (this happened to me one afternoon a few years ago with my truck, and it was pretty scary).

Take the above sentence only it is night time and raining?

YOLO
Old 03-01-2018, 09:28 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

So many factors.

Virtually any tire will be quieter and better handling than the GY OEM RFs.

That said, how far do you travel from home? What's your weather typically like? Do you travel to/through sparsely populated areas? How many miles do you put on your Vette? Do you DD it, or is it a weekend "cars and coffee" kind of a car?

Do you know how nerve-wracking it is to tow the car when it's got fully-inflated tires? Imagine one (or more) tire down on the rims, and it will be nearly impossible to pull it up and then off load it w/o having problems.

I can say with certainty (track notwithstanding) that virtually every scenario where someone runs non RFs, there is an equally reasonable and preferable reason to use RFs.

But what do I know? Never been there or done that!
Old 03-01-2018, 10:03 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by owc6
So many factors.

Virtually any tire will be quieter and better handling than the GY OEM RFs.

That said, how far do you travel from home? What's your weather typically like? Do you travel to/through sparsely populated areas? How many miles do you put on your Vette? Do you DD it, or is it a weekend "cars and coffee" kind of a car?

Do you know how nerve-wracking it is to tow the car when it's got fully-inflated tires? Imagine one (or more) tire down on the rims, and it will be nearly impossible to pull it up and then off load it w/o having problems.

I can say with certainty (track notwithstanding) that virtually every scenario where someone runs non RFs, there is an equally reasonable and preferable reason to use RFs.

But what do I know? Never been there or done that!
C'mon now, Mrs. Ow, the proverbial cat is out of the bag!

Post the picture, and you know the one I mean.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:26 PM
corvette312
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Costco

I got the same tires at Costco to replace my Goodyears tires at 25k. My clock reads 63k and I still have the same Michelin.
Bruze (03-01-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Tires

Old 03-01-2018, 10:37 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

This one?

Pshaw! It was only 30+ miles. 'Twas nothing!

Old 03-01-2018, 11:06 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by owc6
This one?

Pshaw! It was only 30+ miles. 'Twas nothing!

Attachment 48334863Attachment 48340943Attachment 48334863

Attachment 48331950
owc6 (03-01-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 02:04 AM
Silver 07
Racer

I don’t use it as a DD, live in sunny California and more of a weekend car, don’t travel on to many long trips, Thanks

Quick Reply: Tires