C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Ultimate Stereo for new C6

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 04:05 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Default My Ultimate Stereo for new C6

Hi Guys,

Now that I have my new C6 Vert, 2008, A6, Arctic White (Blk top), I am would like to upgrade its stereo system, which is the base Bose system. I sure plays way better than the C5 I had, but the unit is very basic. I know Corvette Forum has a lot of music gurus/audio guys, so please help me figure this out - I want something similar to what most modern cars have.

I am still old school so may not know all the features that are available out there - so educate me. For now, I'd like to keep the OEM speakers, but may change that down the road. Here are some features i'd want -

1. About 7" screen and with good sound.
2. Rear & front cameras.
3. DVD (movie playing capability).
4. Bluetooth, USB/etc.
5. Equalizer capability (maybe)
6. Phone screen clone.

That's all I can think of, is that too much to ask? What's a decently priced unit you can think of?

Thanks!

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 03-02-2018 at 04:06 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:08 AM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

You can build a system on the Crutchfield site. Then google for the best prices.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:17 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

Sounds like an AVH 2330 to me! 7", androidauto/carplay compatible. Recently released (last year) so its quick in response to touch inputs (my biggest concern w. touchscreen).

All in all, for the HU alone you should be looking at $500ish if you want to keep steering wheel controls. You can pick up some cameras for ~30ish for a cheap one, 50+ for a good one. AVH-1330/2330 models both can accept two camera inputs. It also has a 13 channel EQ. Gotta say the EQ/unit output really made my stock speakers sound better. I added an amp/12" shallow mount sub and it really put some low end punch. Even with the sub off though, on stock bose speakers, theres a large improvement.

I'm still going through the stock bose amplifier though - may be a slight difference between your system and mine since they made some changes in 2010 for the door subs.

PM me if you have questions - I did a AVH1330 (carplay only) with the PAC unit (for SWC) and its great!
Old 03-02-2018, 08:26 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,169 Posts

This is what I put in mine, it'll do everything you want and then some. https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...n/AVIC-8201NEX
Old 03-02-2018, 08:42 AM
Fly N Low
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
Hi Guys,

Now that I have my new C6 Vert, 2008, A6, Arctic White (Blk top), I am would like to upgrade its stereo system, which is the base Bose system. I sure plays way better than the C5 I had, but the unit is very basic. I know Corvette Forum has a lot of music gurus/audio guys, so please help me figure this out - I want something similar to what most modern cars have.

I am still old school so may not know all the features that are available out there - so educate me. For now, I'd like to keep the OEM speakers, but may change that down the road. Here are some features i'd want -

2. Rear & front cameras.
4. Bluetooth, USB/etc.
6. Phone screen clone.

That's all I can think of, is that too much to ask? What's a decently priced unit you can think of?

Thanks!
I recently installed a Kenwood DDX9904s it's an NEX HU that has android auto apple CarPlay 2 camera inputs tilt screen for sun glare problems et. The sound is much improved even with stock non Bose speakers. If I had it to do over I would buy the same HU.
Also because it's an NEX HU it also has navigation thru your smart phone which is voice activated if your phone supports that which most do.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:58 AM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Hi Guys,

2. Rear & front cameras.
4. Bluetooth, USB/etc.
6. Phone screen clone.

Thanks!
I would add Navigation to that list
Old 03-02-2018, 12:39 PM
Fly N Low
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Hi Guys,

2. Rear & front cameras.
4. Bluetooth, USB/etc.
6. Phone screen clone.

Thanks!
A couple other things to consider. If you go with an NEX HU and your using android auto or apple CarPlay for your navigation you never have to pay for Nav updates and the HU is less expensive. One down side is if your phone losses service during Nav it also losses the Nav for that time but mine just continues on when it picks up signal again. So if you operate in outlying areas a lot that might be a concern. For me it's no big deal.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:19 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadkingC6
I would add Navigation to that list
Nav would be good, but I think Nav units are more expensive. So if my phone can duplicate google maps on the screen that would be nice.

Or I can use the phone alone for navigation. Trying not to jack up the costs much - more mods to come too...
Old 03-02-2018, 04:57 PM
unstressed
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

I put a Kenwood DDX8901HD in my C6 with a 500W amp and a 10" sub, and it sounds great. Was surprised how the stock speakers sound, just a little off on the high end.

In comparison, I put a $650 Pioneer in my truck with Polk separates and the Kenwood is vastly better. The radio reception is better, it's quieter, and has more features for the $$$.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:11 PM
Fly N Low
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Nav would be good, but I think Nav units are more expensive. So if my phone can duplicate google maps on the screen that would be nice.

Or I can use the phone alone for navigation. Trying not to jack up the costs much - more mods to come too...
Yes if you use the Kenwood DDX9904s you can use either Andriod Auto or Apple Carplay and the Nav will come up on the radio screen this will be the case with any radio that supports Android Auto or Apple Carplay. You will be able to speak in Nav and Phone commands the only thing is you will have to put the USB cable in your phone for some things like Nav but other apps will just stream. I converted the power port in the console to a USB jack to plug in my USB cable.
Crutchfield is a great source for all this and they have very good Sales and Tech staff to get you going and help you put it in.
They will pre wire a lot of it for a small fee so it will be much easier to install.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:04 PM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 70 Posts

I am in the middle of the same project. Check out the Kenwood DDX9705S
It is new for 2018 and is listed for an early to mid March release. Do a google search of the model number to see the features. Most vert owners on the forum really say the Capactive screen is a big plus for viewing in sunlight. Some kenwoods have it and some do not. Also this unit will have web-link to support Waze navigation. Just did several trips over last few weekends and really like using it. It gave me an odd route home today for a 3 hr trip and saved traffic aggravation due to major accident. Also police reports are usually spot on. Anyway I am holding out for its release. Already have the front and rear camera mounted and wired and replace the rear speakers. I’ll post a new thread once finished
Old 03-16-2018, 05:02 PM
VetteofSD
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

I added a Sony XAV-AX100 to replace the factory nav. No regrets! and made the stock speakers sound much better. I added Bluetooth, Android Auto/Apple Carplay, backup camera, USB, and kept the steering wheel controls. Also has the ability to add built-in nav later on.

They are also going to have a new high end version called the XAV-AX5000 unit coming out very soon. Looks like it'll be a great unit.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:48 PM
danzio56
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by pjazz
You can build a system on the Crutchfield site. Then google for the best prices.
You should build your system on the Crutchfield website. Then buy it on the Crutchfield website. They are the best bunch of folks out there for car stereo and supporting them keeps them in business to keep doing the good work they do. Their prices can be as competitive as those on Amazon and other discount places but one of the best reasons to buy from them is that you will get free tech support for the life of your product. And their customer support is second to none.

I am not affiliated in any way to their business. I am just a fan of their customer support.
The following users liked this post:
dmyers (03-18-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 09:59 PM
zzjakect
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly N Low
I recently installed a Kenwood DDX9904s it's an NEX HU that has android auto apple CarPlay 2 camera inputs tilt screen for sun glare problems et. The sound is much improved even with stock non Bose speakers. If I had it to do over I would buy the same HU.
Also because it's an NEX HU it also has navigation thru your smart phone which is voice activated if your phone supports that which most do.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:48 PM
G8Pumpkin
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

What ever you do sound insulation in my view is mandatory the doors drum so bad stock. I used Frost King duct liner or you can do a better job with dynamat etc for a lot more money.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:49 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by G8Pumpkin
What ever you do sound insulation in my view is mandatory the doors drum so bad stock. I used Frost King duct liner or you can do a better job with dynamat etc for a lot more money.
I think the doors made more of an impact than doing the rest of the car.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:14 AM
Bluewheelz
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly N Low
A couple other things to consider. If you go with an NEX HU and your using android auto or apple CarPlay for your navigation you never have to pay for Nav updates and the HU is less expensive. One down side is if your phone losses service during Nav it also losses the Nav for that time but mine just continues on when it picks up signal again. So if you operate in outlying areas a lot that might be a concern. For me it's no big deal.
Agreed, I just purchased an AVH 4101, it's exactly like the higher end units without nav. The 4101 is a 4100 boxed in a 4101 box with the addition of a rear camera. I went ahead and purchased a front camera too since it has inputs for it.

I have had nav in all of my cars since 2004 and never used it....I use my phone. The hot tip is to run a cable for the phone to work with Apple Carplay. I bought a 3' usb extension cable and ran it up the a-pillar. Secondary usb is plugged into the console plug - the back side is just a mini usb.

With almost all of these units, you will want the parking brake bypass that allows you to run video while driving. Pioneer controls this by making you hit the parking brake TWICE before video will play. The bypass is available on eBay for $7-8

Get notified of new replies

To My Ultimate Stereo for new C6

Old 03-20-2018, 02:53 PM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Im old school as well.if budget is there....get a DSP. I have a Mosconi 4to6 but may switch to the Helix. New head units have time delay and some eq built in, but I was blown away by a tuned dsp.
The following users liked this post:
SRQ Vette (03-23-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 12:01 AM
Bisley444
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Folks,
like the original poster, I’m also looking for a HU for my 2006 convertible, however, I’m hoping to find a unit that does not require modifying the bezel. Any suggestions on a unit that is a clean fit?

Regards,
Joe
Old 03-21-2018, 12:22 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Bisley444
Folks,
like the original poster, I’m also looking for a HU for my 2006 convertible, however, I’m hoping to find a unit that does not require modifying the bezel. Any suggestions on a unit that is a clean fit?

Regards,
Joe
All double din head units from the major brands are the same size. There is no modifications to the bezel. You do have to buy a Metra 95-3304 double din face plate that attaches to the new head unit and allows you to mount the unit to the car while also filling in the remaining gaps left from removing the larger factory unit.

Quick Reply: My Ultimate Stereo for new C6