C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 things old(ish) guys like...Corvettes and Golf

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 07:48 PM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

63 years old here but no golf interest as I was tuned into Nascar. Looking at all the empty seats in Phoenix today doesn't bode well for the future, plus Harvick winning every week is
Old 03-11-2018, 08:31 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy_in_MD
Not exactly C6 related but since older guys tend to be big fans of both Corvettes and golf, I was wondering who was watching the Valspar Championship and rooting for Tiger.

He seems to be playing pretty good. I'll put $20 on Tiger if anyone wants to take the field.
I was certainly rooting for Tiger. He is the single most exciting golfer in history. Arnold Palmer brought golf into our living rooms, and created more excitement than any had seen, up to that point. Tiger doubled it, easily. Since Tiger did not win, I am thrilled that Casey did. Casey wanted Tiger to win if he did not win, himself.

I own a Vette, I live on a golf course. Love both...
The following users liked this post:
Randy_in_MD (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 08:35 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Atomic6
63 years old here but no golf interest as I was tuned into Nascar. Looking at all the empty seats in Phoenix today doesn't bode well for the future, plus Harvick winning every week is
I was a big Nascar fan, but left for good when they went to the senseless "stage" program. Harvick is terrible for the sport. Absolutely the most boring, and seemingly self-centered, driver on the track. Who does Nascar have that can build the excitement like a Dale Earnhart (Sr), or Jeff Gordon, or Darrel Waltrip, ...? I like Kyle, but that is about it, for me.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:40 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by salmonarmvette
As I'm Canadian I am rooting for Conners but Tiger is my second choice. It is great to see Tiger playing well again.

I hope your man Conners gets a lot of love from all of you up North. He had a great tournament, and will go onto to do better.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:42 PM
artz66
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

He finished 2nd. Best golf I’ve seen him play in a few years.
Randy_in_MD (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 10:08 PM
GRCTampa
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 96 Posts

I was there today. The crowd following Tiger was huge. He made it an exciting finish but didn’t play as well as on Saturday. Here he is teeing off at 15.
Attached Files
Randy_in_MD (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 11:08 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAV
I'm not much on pro basketball, but I do like college basketball. And you have to admit it's a hell of a lot more action packed than golf.
Yea....I'm sure it's just me, but I just don't get it. Jumping up and down and running back and forth just to throw a ball at some ring attached to a board. And then you got all that nasty "DRIBBLING" all over the place !!!!.....
Old 03-12-2018, 11:23 AM
salmonarmvette
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
I hope your man Conners gets a lot of love from all of you up North. He had a great tournament, and will go onto to do better.
Thanks you, we sure root for our fellow countrymen.
I find it interesting that so many people don't care for golf, yet golf raises more money for charity than ALL other sport combined.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:28 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by salmonarmvette
Thanks you, we sure root for our fellow countrymen.
I find it interesting that so many people don't care for golf, yet golf raises more money for charity than ALL other sport combined.
What do charity donations have to do with a person's individual preference for sports?
Old 03-12-2018, 01:35 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Used to play golf pretty regular...got down to a 9 handicap. I've now had both shoulders operated on and no longer play. As far as Tigger goes, I could care less, have never been a fan. The commentators of golf are Tiger this, Tiger that. I'll bet they use his name 10,000 times a tournament. Get over it. Just my opinion.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:47 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
Used to play golf pretty regular...got down to a 9 handicap. I've now had both shoulders operated on and no longer play. As far as Tigger goes, I could care less, have never been a fan. The commentators of golf are Tiger this, Tiger that. I'll bet they use his name 10,000 times a tournament. Get over it. Just my opinion.
It's the never-ending white guilt.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:49 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
What do charity donations have to do with a person's individual preference for sports?
Ed, while it may not affect your level of interest, or mine, people DO choose hobbies and sports for many varied reasons. Among those reasons is the generosity of people involved in that sport as it relates to helping others. In plain words, it is nice to know that you are involved in something that actually gives a crap about others.

All of the largest-drawing sports in our country have at least one charity attached. Some have done it because they care, others probably did it because they want to be perceived as caring.

In golf, many of the major events are founded first out of the desire to be charitable, and much less as a means of making money for the players and sponsors. I cannot conceive of the NFL, MLB, or NBA donating the majority of the revenue from a week of games to a charity.

Not the reason I play golf, but something I am proud of in it's involvement.

Now, I need a nap...
dvilin (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 03:18 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by RogerRamjet21
I don't play any game where the ball doesn't come back...
if I'm not enjoying my favorite sport and the weather is nice, I'll take the Vette out for some fun.

I'll be 65 in May, still competing.

I still ski @ 53. But not as well as you apparently.
Awesome.

PS...Golf is lame.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:59 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by Torchsport

I still ski @ 53. But not as well as you apparently.
Awesome.

PS...Golf is lame.
I also still water ski at almost 59. I started slalom skiing at about 7. I do not intend to give it up without a long, hard fought battle!
Old 03-12-2018, 05:20 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GRCTampa
I was there today. The crowd following Tiger was huge. He made it an exciting finish but didn’t play as well as on Saturday. Here he is teeing off at 15.
That is SO COOL!! Like him or not, he has more impact on golf than all of the top 10 current players, combined.
GRCTampa (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 05:31 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

That is SO COOL!! Like him or not, he has more impact on golf than all of the top 10 current players, combined.
Yea....he had a pretty good impact with that tree in his front yard in his SUV when his ex was chasing him around with a 7 iron.....
Old 03-12-2018, 05:36 PM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Without a doubt he does, still does even after all he has gone thru. Announcers say his name 10,000 times a day because it generates ratings = $$$$$$

NASCAR, they ruined it for me when they let toyota in and now they all drive the same car around in a circle, no bumping or rubbing and not much personality. I watched Phoenix for 5 minutes yesterday and saw all the empty seats. They have priced themselves out of the game too, sad. There I said it, toyota lovers can hate on me.

NBA, never did get into it, I am a KY Wildcat fan, college BB & March madness rocks. The NCAA can't get out of their own way but they have it going on with the tournament.

NFL, take a knee not for me, I watched zero this year and the Bengals are easy to ignore too.

MLB, I grew up with the Big Red Machine, wow was that fun. I still catch a couple of games a year but the salary disparity makes it hard for teams like Cincy to compete.

The most fun sport I ever played was ice hockey but it is hard to watch on tv. We do have a good minor league team in Cincy, the Cyclones.

Get notified of new replies

To 2 things old(ish) guys like...Corvettes and Golf

Old 03-12-2018, 05:42 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Started wrenching on cars and playing golf with my Dad before I was a teen. After multiple knee surgeries I'm glad I can still do both!!
Randy_in_MD (03-12-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 10:10 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Don't play golf for several reasons, probably why I thought it boring most of my life.

But after retirement w/ lots of time on my hands found myself watching Golf Channel while learning the game from the participants.
Surprisingly I enjoyed watching all 4 rounds w/ field/players trying to make cut w/ a genuine sense of desperation. And why not considering the size of purses today for a winner. Awfully big $ not to mention enormous endorsements for said winning.
No longer watch rounds 1&2 since cutting the cord, 3&4 suffices.

Pace of golf not only doesn't bother me, it's perfect & required if a 70+ player tournament's to be won by one guy.
Each stroke off tee has to be as close to perfect as possible or potential disaster looms. 'Scrambling' skill's are as fun to watch as any other skill like woods/irons etc.

I recall Jason Dufner closing in on his first win (@ Heritage?) going into 18 w/ a 3 stroke lead. Chokes, slams 3 consecutive shots into water leading to a playoff he eventually loses.
Then' there's the prodigy from TX, J.Spieth at The Masters.
Similar back 9 collapse putting an unheard of Brit into winner's circle.
Many other less known examples, too.

Really good stuff, each individual golfer must perform w/ NO ones help --save a caddy for insight(s) re how to play [a] shot on a given hole.
Those holes & shots are rarely ever the same, ever.
Very epitome of an athlete's ability, more often than not under great stress IMO.

Golf was an acquired taste for me and today, wished I could've played because I do have a competitive streak.

NASCAR.
3 races in one?
Removes all semblance of chance like vehicle and/or driver failure. Poor calls by CC leading to too radical a camber resulting in a premature blowout effectively ending teams chance at win.
And don't get me started permitting an Asian marque in a sport billing itself the National Stock Car Association.
Any sport pissing on & seemingly ashamed of its base, in several important ways, doesn't bode well for longevity --in spite of what the brain-bugs *feel*.

Other B&S sports?
BB & NFL 'strike' thereby punishing the fans?
Have at it, if others enjoy 'em fine, I'm out.
Not overestimating my importance to anything either, I fully understand individual's are invisible. So be it.
Only civil recourse is leaving a sports *&* fans who support it to themselves wishing 'em the best.

BTW, would LOVE to see any NFL player go onto an ice rink & keep up w/ a mediocre or even poor NHL player.
Now that's be funny watching 'em gassed on their azz after <2 minutes.

Nonetheless choice is good, & even precious, always been so.
The following 3 users liked this post by Landru:
Atomic6 (03-15-2018), buckmeister2 (03-13-2018), Randy_in_MD (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 11:06 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Still not sure if we should be blaming any individual sport itself, the owners/players....or the fans for big sports being what they are these days. After all....if the public would stop going and paying $25 for a hot dog and $35 dollars for a 12 oz beer maybe it might get pricing back down where even the "common" man/woman could take their kid out to a game or two.

Quick Reply: 2 things old(ish) guys like...Corvettes and Golf