C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto trans w/paddle shift

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 04:20 PM
SweetC4
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Auto trans w/paddle shift

Hello all,
I have a c6 with the auto trans and paddle shift. I have 51000 miles and wondering if i should have the tranny fluid changed? I have a delay in shifting between 1st & 2nd. Anyone else experience this?
Appreciate the input. Thank you
Old 03-18-2018, 04:33 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

As a general rule, you should change your auto trans fluid and filter every 30,000 miles. Do not flush, just drain & fill.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:36 PM
millsy
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

No delay here
Old 03-18-2018, 06:17 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

2006 owner's manual says it should be changed every 50,000 miles if:

(h) Change automatic transmission fluid and filter if the
vehicle is mainly driven under one or more of these
conditions:
− In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature
regularly reaches 90°F (32°C) or higher.
− In hilly or mountainous terrain.
− Uses such as high performance operation.

otherwise, every 100,000 miles.

See page 6-6 and 6-7.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:23 PM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

What does your owner's manual say? Mine says 50-100K depending on where and how you drive. Many people never change it and never have an issue. Many have also had issues after changing especially just getting a flush. If you plan on keeping the car for 500,000 miles then I would change every 50,000.

As far as timing, the transmission is computer controlled. The software is designed to protect the transmission, keep you out of the weeds, and maintain a consistent shift quality throughout the life of the transmission. To keep you out of the weeds the transmission will often up-shift softer or even not at all. If your tires are on the verge of breaking loose the last thing you want is a sudden large increase in torque from shifting to a higher gear.

If you do change the fluid NEVER get a flush. You have to change the filter to do it right or you are just stirring up the gunk. But don't expect any change in performance. The only reason to change fluids is to restore additives that were destroyed by heat. If there is any change at all the computer will quickly restore the same factory shift timing the factory designed. From the shop manual:
The 6L80 transmission utilizes a line pressure control system during upshifts to compensate for the normal wear of transmission components. As the apply components wear or change over time, shift time (the time required to apply a clutch) increases or decreases. In order to compensate for these changes, the transmission control module (TCM) adjusts the pressure commands to the various PC solenoids, to maintain the originally calibrated shift timing. The automatic adjusting process is referred to as "adaptive learning" and it is used to ensure consistent shift feel plus increase transmission durability.The TCM monitors the A/T input speed sensor (ISS) and the A/T output speed sensor (OSS) during commanded shifts to determine if a shift is occurring too fast (harsh) or too slow (soft) and adjusts the corresponding pressure control )PC) solenoid signal to maintain a set shift feel. The purpose of the adapt function is to automatically compensate the shift quality for the various vehicle shift control systems. The adapt function is a continuous process that will help maintain optimal shift quality throughout the life of the vehicle.
Note, unlike what you will read from many here, it does NOT adjust in any way to the way you drive. It only adjusts to get the shift timing back to the way it was when it came from the factory.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:35 AM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

The manual says 50,000 miles between transmission fluid changes. I've 128K miles on my A6 and have changed fluid twice. I could go another 22,000 miles before changing it a third time, and I probably would have done that if I hadn't gotten a better offer.

This spring I have an opportunity to swap out my original A6 with a later model that's just been rebuilt to good as new. Some might consider this overkill, In fact it will be part of a bumper to bumper update that includes a wideband retune of the Edelbrock E-Force supercharger, an optimal retune of the A6 to remove the most offensive nannies, and replace/pin a failing harmonic balancer.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:52 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Yep. I'd go by the manual.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:03 AM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I agree with Ed. You are not hurting anything by changing it. If you do the work, it’s cheap to do. Look up how to remove the 4 rear pan bolts.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:12 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Real "Automotive Technicians" (LOL) don't need no stinkun manual !!!!....HEE...HEE... Now for my "expert" opinion (LOL) gained from experience and not reading. If you decide to change your fluid every 30-K then you might as well do the whole thing, flush and all. At that mileage there is not really any build up of gunk to worry about. But if one waits till 60 - 80-K to do the first change then i'd skip it all together unless theres a tranny problem which could/would possibly become worse after even just a change and not a flush also. Usually...and unfortunately, if someone runs into tranny problems with higher mileage, the tranny isn't long for the world anyway, the change or flush will just speed up the implosion.....
Old 03-20-2018, 12:19 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by SweetC4
Hello all,
I have a c6 with the auto trans and paddle shift. I have 51000 miles and wondering if i should have the tranny fluid changed? I have a delay in shifting between 1st & 2nd. Anyone else experience this?
Appreciate the input. Thank you
That seems to be normal with a lot or all vette owners including myself on the 3 vettes that I've owned (C6/Autos)......The cure is to have the tranny tuned...Do a search on tranny tune and you will get some good information.

Get notified of new replies

To Auto trans w/paddle shift

Quick Reply: Auto trans w/paddle shift