C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To ALL VERTS: What Music Upgrades have you Done?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 02:52 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Default To ALL VERTS: What Music Upgrades have you Done?

Hey guys,

Looking for stereo, speakers upgrade. In a vert, space is a big issue. No space for amps, or rear sub, etc.

So just wanted to know what creative work have you done? Pix would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2018, 03:06 PM
89Roadster
Race Director

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Pioneer NEX head unit, 10 speakers, 3 amps.

I guess the only really creative things waere mounting an Alpine V12 and a Punch 250 in the left rear cubbyhole with 2 fans mounted on the lid and replacing the door woofers with Alpine 6x9s.

Last edited by 89Roadster; 03-24-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:32 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Kenwood head unit, JL Audio Z-series components in the doors, JL Audio 5-1/4 coaxials in the rear, and a pair of JL Audio 10" subs in the trunk; all powered by a 5-channel JL Audio 900W amp tucked behind the driver's seat. To preserve my trunk space I used these sub enclosures, which are molded to the rear corners of the trunk:

The following users liked this post:
Vette_Fan (03-25-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 09:39 PM
MoeLarryCheese
Race Director

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18

Pioneer 5200NEX head unit w/Sirius, nav and back-upcam, JL Audio amp mounted to floor behind psgr. seat, JL Audo speakers and custom subs for the Corvette vert....sounds awesome.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:24 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 05c6silververt
Pioneer 5200NEX head unit w/Sirius, nav and back-upcam, JL Audio amp mounted to floor behind psgr. seat, JL Audo speakers and custom subs for the Corvette vert....sounds awesome.
Originally Posted by 89Roadster

I guess the only really creative things waere mounting an Alpine V12 and a Punch 250 in the left rear cubbyhole with 2 fans mounted on the lid and replacing the door woofers with Alpine 6x9s.

Can you guys provide more info/and or some pix for demo purpose. I prefer not putting anything in the trunk since space is so limited anyway. Seats don't have much space under them, or behind them either. Driver seat goes all the way back when I exit. Only space I can think of is the 2 holes that have speakers in the back, to be replaced with self-powered subs. 1 amp powering the speakers in the doors, if I can find a decent place to install that amp.

Now as for speakers - what component speakers you recommend? Verts are so limited...
Old 03-25-2018, 07:38 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
Hey guys,

Looking for stereo, speakers upgrade. In a vert, space is a big issue. No space for amps, or rear sub, etc.

So just wanted to know what creative work have you done? Pix would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!
I bought my Corvette convertible to drive. I listen primarily to channel eight.

Then there’s that radio thing. Haven’t done a thing with it.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:39 AM
biker1059
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Kooks 2" headers and Corsa extreme exhaust. Music to my ears
Old 03-26-2018, 07:52 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

ttt
Old 03-27-2018, 08:27 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Top down or top up?
Highway or town?
Windows up windows down?

There is space for an amp under the cover of the passenger foot well.
Also space for amp under horizontal cover on the truck floor behind the waterfall.

You'll get a ton of answers.
Also search the stereo section of this forum.

IMO -
1 - Stock head unit will work...but you need additional amps.
2 - Replace all OEM speakers with better speakers.
3 - I found additional tweeters near the upper seat belt mounts help.
4 - Additional tweeters on the vertical dash face (perhaps or else under dash) I believe will also help (have not done yet as I can't find "proper" set up.)
5 - Needs a sub woofer...Bazooka Tube (limiting truck space but affordable) or JL Audio (goes into truck side storage compartment)

Then there is the elimination of rattles (smile) which may be equally important as the sound quality.

Have fun.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:31 AM
89Roadster
Race Director

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Alpine & Punch Amps mounted in left rear cubbyhole.

Cooling fans for amps, 1 pulling air in, 1 pushing it out.

Kicker Amp behind passenger seat.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:00 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Kenwood head unit, JL Audio Z-series components in the doors, JL Audio 5-1/4 coaxials in the rear, and a pair of JL Audio 10" subs in the trunk; all powered by a 5-channel JL Audio 900W amp tucked behind the driver's seat. To preserve my trunk space I used these sub enclosures, which are molded to the rear corners of the trunk:

Where did you get these? The trunk is so limited in space, this would limit it more, but seems that's the only way to go, if wanna upgrade speakers..
Old 04-25-2018, 05:20 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 89Roadster

It "is" creative . What are you using in the rear speakers (oem or aftermarket)? And what type of subs are you using for bass?
Old 04-25-2018, 06:39 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,020 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Hey guys,

Thanks!
What is the end product your looking for,

Hence are you running electrostat's driven by tube amps in the listen room that your trying to match in the vet, or is the end game just loud and muddy with mosfet amps isntead.

Last edited by Dano523; 04-25-2018 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:44 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dano523
What is the end product your looking for,

Hence are you running electrostat's driven by tube amps in the listen room that your trying to match in the vet, or is the end game just loud and muddy with mosfet amps isntead.
OEM is plenty loud and muddy.

I am looking for Clean, Crisp, Loud, and high notes and bass - as a good system should sound like. I have bought the following - Pioneer 8200 NEX main head unit, I will be getting 6.5" component speakers for front. I also have 6.5 coaxial speakers (possibly for rear).

My main dilemma is what to add to rear and generate bass? (1) I could replace the rear speakers with small subs / or (2) replace the rear speakers with the 2 way coaxial AND add (1 or 2) small subs in the Waterfall area (not sure how installation would go). I prefer the 2nd options, if possible...

This is even a bigger issue - since the Vert has partitions and small spaces, the sound will be muffled and won't bounce or reach the cabin, if sub is put way back in the trunk's conrner. It would also take trunk space which is already limited, and wouldn't sound the same as, if it were a coupe. That's why I prefer using the Waterfall area, if there's a way to do that.

Please give your inputs...

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 04-26-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:59 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Where did you get these? The trunk is so limited in space, this would limit it more, but seems that's the only way to go, if wanna upgrade speakers..
I actually picked these up from Dennis at Double D, who picked them up from a forum member in the for sale section. They were a custom build. I haven't found anything like them anywhere, and feel pretty lucky that I ended up with them as they are the perfect compromise with the limited trunk space.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 04-26-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:04 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

OEM is plenty loud and muddy.

I am looking for Clean, Crisp, Loud, and high notes and bass - as a good system should sound like. I have bought the following - Pioneer 8200 NEX main head unit, I will be getting 6.5" component speakers for front. I also have 6.5 coaxial speakers (possibly for rear).

My main dilemma is what to add to rear and generate bass? (1) I could replace the rear speakers with small subs / or (2) replace the rear speakers with the 2 way coaxial AND add (1 or 2) small subs in the Waterfall area (not sure how installation would go). I prefer the 2nd options, if possible...

This is even a bigger issue - since the Vert has partitions and small spaces, the sound will be muffled and won't bounce or reach the cabin, if sub is put way back in the trunk's conrner. It would also take trunk space which is already limited, and wouldn't sound the same as, if it were a coupe. That's why I prefer using the Waterfall area, if there's a way to do that.

Please give your inputs...
Keep in mind that bass is non-directional, so it wouldn't matter if it's in the trunk or not. With the top down you won't get as hard of a thump, even if they were mounted behind the seats, but with the top up mine put out more than enough to shake the cars a half-mile down the road.

Get notified of new replies

To To ALL VERTS: What Music Upgrades have you Done?

Quick Reply: To ALL VERTS: What Music Upgrades have you Done?