C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap DIY NPP controller

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 01:33 AM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Cheap DIY NPP controller

I want to add factory bi-mode mufflers to my Grand Sport. Since I'm cheap and see no need to spend $200 on an NPP in a box I am thinking about building mine this way. I don't care if the system operates like factory, it will either be open or closed depending on the situation, anyhow.
I plan to use something like this and mounting a switch in the shift ****
http://www.partdeal.com/omega-soleno...UaAivSEALw_wcB

With a universal vacuum reservoir plumbed inline, probably not really needed but cheap enough to add to make sure they don't open unless I want them to.

I think this should operate the way I want it to based off what I know, am I missing anything that keeps this from working the way I'm thinking?
Old 04-03-2018, 08:25 AM
Pete2k_Z28
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Where are you seeing them for $200? They're $69 and you can install it in five minutes without any tools.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:56 AM
Moman01
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Npp in a box is not the same as a mild to wild remote.The mild to wild remote only works if your car already had factory NPP option.He is trying to install an aftermarket system to be able to control his accuaters.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:32 AM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Moman01
Npp in a box is not the same as a mild to wild remote.The mild to wild remote only works if your car already had factory NPP option.He is trying to install an aftermarket system to be able to control his accuaters.
Exactly
Old 04-03-2018, 01:37 PM
tlcj
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I am guessing out loud here. Vacuum closes the actuators making them quiet. One valve to pull this vacuum on the actuators to make the mufflers quiet. Then a second valve after the first valve to vent the vacuum actuator side once the first valve shuts off the vacuum. I assume it is a closed system and once you shut off the vacuum from engine it would just hold it's vacuum without some leak? Could you get a 3 way electric valve with one line to engine vacuum, one to outside air, and one to actuators? actuators to air or actuators to vacuum.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:48 PM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ne-intake.html

I was reading up on this post. I , too, am looking to hook up some bi-mode mufflers soon.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:00 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tlcj
I am guessing out loud here. Vacuum closes the actuators making them quiet. One valve to pull this vacuum on the actuators to make the mufflers quiet. Then a second valve after the first valve to vent the vacuum actuator side once the first valve shuts off the vacuum. I assume it is a closed system and once you shut off the vacuum from engine it would just hold it's vacuum without some leak? Could you get a 3 way electric valve with one line to engine vacuum, one to outside air, and one to actuators? actuators to air or actuators to vacuum.
Yes, the valve I posted appears to have a vent, so once switched it would pull air from atmosphere and remove vacuum, I'm only assuming this based off the photos but if it's vented once switched it would seal the engine vacuum to keep from simulating a vacuum leak, and allow the valves to open properly.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:03 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JasonAndrew
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ne-intake.html

I was reading up on this post. I , too, am looking to hook up some bi-mode mufflers soon.
I saw that, far more complex and expensive than I'm willing to try first go, the way I'v posted could be done for under $30, providing the switch works the way I think it does, I plan on finding an LG shift **** with a switch however which will raise the cost some.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:09 PM
tlcj
Racer

Found many 3 port actuators on e-bay. Many had port 2 as common. Example below assumes you want quiet with no power applied. Switch ports 1 and 3 if you want noise with no power applied.

Hook actuators to port 2. engine port 3 and leave port one to open air. Mufflers quiet with no power applied. Apply power and port 2 and 1 gives actuators open air and loud. Any 3 port 12 v will work within reason. As I said earlier you could buy 2 2port units as well.

The vacuum pump idea above is interesting.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:11 PM
tlcj
Racer

Seems like it will work if it vents. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:18 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Found many 3 port actuators on e-bay. Many had port 2 as common. Example below assumes you want quiet with no power applied. Switch ports 1 and 3 if you want noise with no power applied.

Hook actuators to port 2. engine port 3 and leave port one to open air. Mufflers quiet with no power applied. Apply power and port 2 and 1 gives actuators open air and loud. Any 3 port 12 v will work within reason. As I said earlier you could buy 2 2port units as well.

The vacuum pump idea above is interesting.
I didn't see any three port ones with a bracket, almost all were threaded, have a link to one?

The one I posted is used in the vintage air kits so should be vented since it usually operates dash vents but i could be wrong. However it does look like there's a valve between the two barbs.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:12 AM
tlcj
Racer

I did a search for the following item: MAC 3 Port Electronic Boost Control Solenoid Valve DC12V 5.4W 35A-ACA-DDBA-1BA

The unit had 2 holes for mounting. Yes most of the units I saw had threads so you get the brass connectors. Use that one you found if it vents. These were like $16.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:53 AM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

I did a search for the following item: MAC 3 Port Electronic Boost Control Solenoid Valve DC12V 5.4W 35A-ACA-DDBA-1BA

The unit had 2 holes for mounting. Yes most of the units I saw had threads so you get the brass connectors. Use that one you found if it vents. These were like $16.
I'm just looking for potential alternatives in case the one I'm using doesn't have a vent, it looks like it does but I've been wrong before

Get notified of new replies

To Cheap DIY NPP controller

Quick Reply: Cheap DIY NPP controller