C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High mileage maintenance recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 11:09 AM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Default High mileage maintenance recommendation

For the past couple of years my Red has displayed random sporadic "Service Charging System" messages on the DIC. They only lasted a second or two, just long enough to chime once or twice. I've replaced the battery (Optima Yellow Top #3). I also replaced the alternator after suffering through four rural four-way stops after last fall's total eclipse that had traffic backed up five miles for each one. Coolant temps soared to 227, and I think it cooked the rectifiers in the alternator's regulator module. Unfortunately, even with the new battery and alternator the DIC messages would still pop up three or four times a week.

Last week things came to a head when I pulled into my parking place at work and turned off the engine. Red was totally dead. I had to use the emergency pull cable to open the driver's door. The battery appeared to be completely dead. I was able to jump it that afternoon, drive home normally, and hook up a Battery Tender all night.

Two days ago it did the same thing. Jump/drive/charge. Yesterday I took it to my local Chevy dealership to see if they could diagnose the cause. What they found surprised me. It seems that over the years both battery cables had corroded very badly inside. The exterior red and black plastic insulation looked as-new, and the battery post connectors looked fine. But the negative cable was so bad it was dropping several volts to frame ground.

If your C6 is approaching 100K miles and/or 10 years on the clock, your battery cables may also look fine but could be rotting on the inside. As simple preventative maintenance, I would recommend replacing them the next sunny Saturday you get a chance.
The following users liked this post:
Jstan2014 (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 02:19 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Old 04-06-2018, 03:33 PM
mellojoe
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm assuming after you changed yours you no longer have the issue? I'm doing a full service on a high-mileage C6 currently as well. Plugs & Wires are next on my list, and I might just add battery cables to that too. I hadn't considered it from the start, and the ends look half decent. But, if yours looked decent but were corroded internally, I might have to get some battery cables too.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:59 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

My car has an issue with the NEG cable connector to battery. At times it just doesn't ground.

Now I know why the previous owner left a 10mm wrench and battery brush in the trunk cubby. Occasionally, it has to come off, scraped and reattached. The terminals and connectors are totally clean and the battery a year old.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:28 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Sounds like good information. Thanks. I’m only at 22,700 miles on my 2012 Grand Sport so I’m sure mine should be fine a while longer. Good info though. I wouldn’t have thought of the exterior looking new and the inside aged and rotted.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:13 AM
hogfanandy
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jstan2014
Sounds like good information. Thanks. I’m only at 22,700 miles on my 2012 Grand Sport so I’m sure mine should be fine a while longer. Good info though. I wouldn’t have thought of the exterior looking new and the inside aged and rotted.

Sounds like a perfect description of my body at age 51.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:19 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I upgraded the alt output cable. 1/0 stranded copper cable run from Alt to power takeoff bolt by eng bay fuse box. Cut the fuse box cover so it closes over the cable. Just cut the connector off OEM cable going to the Alt output lug and sealed off the exposed wire. Then used zip ties to hide it under the new larger cable.

No more Service charging system warnings. Starter is a known choke point on our cars.

Found a pre made cable that was 56 in with heavy duty lugs at auto parts store.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:29 AM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by hogfanandy
[/b]

Sounds like a perfect description of my body at age 51.

That’s too funny, but we gotta maintain both if we’re gonna keep going strong for years to come! ( I just turned 52, and my body keeps me from acting 22, even though my mind feels 18 most of the time)

Get notified of new replies

To High mileage maintenance recommendation

Quick Reply: High mileage maintenance recommendation