Ls3 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls3

Old 04-22-2018, 01:08 PM
  #1  
Ariel Falcon
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Ls3

I just bought a ls3 with a casting number 12621766 and the heads 0821 for my 2009 Corvette but the oil pan doesn’t fit, I buy the wrong motor? Oil pan its bigger
Ariel Falcon is offline  
Old 04-22-2018, 04:56 PM
  #2  
Kurt D
CF Member
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2013
Location: Pineville La
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

It may have an oil pan for a Camaro on it instead of a Corvette. Swap the oil pans.
Kurt D is offline  
Old 04-23-2018, 01:41 AM
  #3  
Ariel Falcon
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default




Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
It may have an oil pan for a Camaro on it instead of a Corvette. Swap the oil pans.
ok i will, but still ls3 whit 430 hp right or its the ls3 l99 whit 400 hp ?

Last edited by Ariel Falcon; 04-23-2018 at 01:43 AM.
Ariel Falcon is offline  
Old 04-23-2018, 02:58 AM
  #4  
HOXXOH
CF Senior Member
 
HOXXOH's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: Peoria/Phoenix AZ
Posts: 13,763
Thanked 771 Times in 646 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
It may have an oil pan for a Camaro on it instead of a Corvette. Swap the oil pans.
2010 LS3 Camaro oil pan



HOXXOH is offline  
Old 04-23-2018, 10:15 AM
  #5  
FloridaC6
CF Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Location: Lakeland Florida
Posts: 95
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ariel Falcon View Post




ok i will, but still ls3 whit 430 hp right or its the ls3 l99 whit 400 hp ?
2010-2015 LS3 Camaro (manual) was 426 HP. L99 (automatic) were 400 HP.
FloridaC6 is offline  
Old 04-23-2018, 11:21 AM
  #6  
RicK T
CF Senior Member
 
RicK T's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 20,182
Thanked 461 Times in 381 Posts
Default

That block casting number, 12621766, is an LS9.
RicK T is offline  
Old 04-23-2018, 06:04 PM
  #7  
Kurt D
CF Member
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2013
Location: Pineville La
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

An OE LS3 is an LS3 no what if it came in a Camaro or Corvette, ratings are mostly marketing with a very slight dose of intake and exhaust packaging. They are also a little under rated as they stand in crate motor form.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if late production LS3s used the LS9 blocks; why have two different blocks for the same displacement engine? There's nothing magical about the LS9 block, it's differences are all inside. GM did the same thing with late production LS1s a little after the LS6 came out.

ETA: I just looked up the part number from gmpartsdirect.com for an LS3 for Corvette and one for a manual Camaro; they are both 19256529.

Last edited by Kurt D; 04-23-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Kurt D is offline  
Old 04-24-2018, 10:17 PM
  #8  
RobJoy
CF Senior Member
 
RobJoy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: western NC
Posts: 350
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Does this mean he can't use this engine on his bolt on stuff. Can the LS-9 even be run without the supercharger? Did someone select the wrong engine to ship to him or is everything okay?

Last edited by RobJoy; 04-24-2018 at 10:18 PM.
RobJoy is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 01:08 AM
  #9  
HOXXOH
CF Senior Member
 
HOXXOH's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: Peoria/Phoenix AZ
Posts: 13,763
Thanked 771 Times in 646 Posts
Default

On the side side of the block, opposite the GM embossed logo is "6.2L" on a '08 block, at the same location on a '10 Camaro, it's "LS3". I suspect the casting was changed to "LS3" so it wouldn't be confused with a "LS9".
The '08 block has PN 12584724. Some of the "windows" in the lower block are different between '08 and '09 to allow better airflow in the bottom end.

Since all LS9's had dry sump oiling, the crank nose is longer to allow and extra oil pump and the pan has oil line holes on the right side. Take a photo of the right rear and right side of the oil pan. The compression ratio is 9.1 to 1 vs the LS3 10.5 to 1. The boltons shouldn't be a problem, but you'll need to deal with the oiling. With the much lower CR you can run regular gas without pinging.
HOXXOH is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 02:10 AM
  #10  
Ariel Falcon
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Ls3 or l99 I just wanna make sure the shop put the right motor in my 2009 Corvette

Originally Posted by HOXXOH View Post
On the side side of the block, opposite the GM embossed logo is "6.2L" on a '08 block, at the same location on a '10 Camaro, it's "LS3". I suspect the casting was changed to "LS3" so it wouldn't be confused with a "LS9".
The '08 block has PN 12584724. Some of the "windows" in the lower block are different between '08 and '09 to allow better airflow in the bottom end.

Since all LS9's had dry sump oiling, the crank nose is longer to allow and extra oil pump and the pan has oil line holes on the right side. Take a photo of the right rear and right side of the oil pan. The compression ratio is 9.1 to 1 vs the LS3 10.5 to 1. The boltons shouldn't be a problem, but you'll need to deal with the oiling. With the much lower CR you can run regular gas without pinging.










Ariel Falcon is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ls3


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: